Gameplay: Repair tools done better - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Has Quotes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-11-19, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rothnang
Major

Repair tools done better

Recently they added overheating to repair tools, which helps a little bit when it comes to engineers not being able to repair in the middle of a battle, but with multiple engineers on task it's still possible to heal through incoming damage like you're playing WoW.

The difficulty in creating an Engineer class that is fun to play without being overpowered is that nobody wants to sit around and repair for hours when there is no combat going on, while at the same time it's really unfair if you can jump out of a tank and repair it in the middle of a fight.

I think I have a possible solution:

The heat of a repair tool is not caused by repairing, but by the thing you are repairing taking damage.

Basically you can repair infinitely just like before, however, when the thing you are trying to repair is getting shot at your tool starts heating up, and can potentially shut down. The shut down would last a little longer than it does currently, to make it more dangerous to keep repairing when your repair target is taking shots.

The advantage to this system is that it doesn't make repairing horribly boring when its happening out of combat, but it still makes repairing in combat a lot less effective, because when 3, 4 engineers are all on the same vehicle all their tools heat up when that vehicle is under fire, so you can't just put more engineers on a vehicle to keep it from blowing up.
Old 2012-11-20, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Re: Repair tools done better

Sounds like a good idea. Nothing more irritating than shooting 40 AP shells into ONE tank or sunderer and watching their health go up instead of down. It's made less fun knowing I am being farmed for repair experience. I think some players intentionally put sunderers into enemy view so they can be damaged and they can get repair points.

Also it's no fun repairing a vehicle in the middle of a battle just waiting to be sniped or HE to explode all around you. Either get destroyed or not, don't tempt me to stand there repairing in the middle of a raging battle.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-11-20 at 01:02 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault