In regards to bonus XP - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bullets not included.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-20, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: In regards to bonus XP

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
But selling XP bonuses is relatively equal to selling power.
Yeah? And? So what?

If someone wants to spend there money to do this, who are you to say they shouldn't be able to?

I won't pay. I don't care if someone can buy a max br character with all the skills either. Thats their business, not mine.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zulthus
Colonel

Or put a tag above their head that says "I suck at this game so I need support" In the case of new players that need to catch up though, a method can be worked out. Having people buy XP bonus in planetside in general just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2011-07-20 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
CutterJohn
Colonel

Then don't buy any.

They aren't suggesting selling a beamer that shoots OSs. Just an increased pace of something you can do naturally.

If leveling fast is OP, then leveling itself must be OP, since people will be doing it for years. If it makes that much of a difference, something is already wrong.

The shame of it is you haven't even mentioned the real, and only, reason something like this should be avoided.. If purchaseable xp boosts exist, then there will be an incentive for SOE to slow down leveling to entice people to spend extra money. THAT is a danger.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Traak
Colonel

Or put a tag above their head that says "I suck at this game so I need support" In the case of new players that need to catch up though, a method can be worked out. Having people buy XP bonus in planetside in general just doesn't make any sense to me.
This did this with the FF CR5's.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

The more BR you have the stronger you get.
Do I?

We don't know yet how fast people can level, nor how fast people can learn skills. If it turns out that playing 2 to 3 hours a day means you gain certification points (due to raising your battle rank) quicker than you can spend them by learning skills, an XP booster would basically do nothing for people who can play those 2 to 3 hours a day. In that situation, I'd have no issue with people being able to buy XP boosters, as it would only really benefit those who couldn't play those 2 to 3 hours a day.

On the other hand, if skills learn quick enough and battle rank raises slowly enough that each level brings a noticeable gain in power, then an XP booster would be something I'd be far less happy about, but seeing as a fully specced out character (with outfit and leadership bonuses) will supposedly only have a 20% advantage, I can't see that being the case.

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

I have no problem with selling increased skill time. So long as weapons and vehicles aren't sold. And I disagree that this is even remotely the same as selling weapons and vehicles.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-20, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Then don't buy any.

The shame of it is you haven't even mentioned the real, and only, reason something like this should be avoided.. If purchaseable xp boosts exist, then there will be an incentive for SOE to slow down leveling to entice people to spend extra money. THAT is a danger.

This is the only legit point raised against some sort of XP bonus (for sale). Otherwise, I have nothing against it.
Old 2011-07-20, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
knaggsy
Private

I am against the idea of buying XP or boosts to XP Gain and for good reason.

One thing which was fantastic in the original planetside was when there was only a handful of cr5's. We had an arrangement that if someone was leading a cont then no-one else interfered. Bickering on CR5 chat was at a minimum and OS's are few and far between but when they happened they were for strategic merit over the "omg i got 50 kills".

Now lets factor in purchasing XP. CR5 would take months in the beginning (i know people can do it faster) but we would see a huge amount of people buying experience in order to get this milestone quicker. The problem of OS after OS after OS and command chat bickering from mostly noobs who don't have any idea of continental tactics.

I also note that it's one empire per server (thank you SOE this makes me happy) but people can have multiple characters. They stated that people going down the command route wont be able to do other things so people will merely create an ALT to do it buy the XP and then focus on their mains.

Experience should be earned; faster for being in combat and helping your army. Yes you learn while you sleep which is great now that i'm older and have a job and can't play PS2 for the 40 hours straight blocks i did in PS1. This helps me at least try and keep up with those who can.

I understand the merits of buying XP and such but if it's implemented I would want exceptions on skills. I.E. Using an EVE Online example; you can buy up to battleship level 5 but you can't buy drednaughts or T2 skills meaning there is a limit on what people can buy and can't simply max out a character on day 1 without even spawning in.

I like to know that the people in the game who have access to high end unlocks have actually played the game for long enough to appreciate them and use them properly.

I can guess though that if they implement a system of "50% more XP if you pay £2.50/month more" i would probably pay it. Why? I don't want to be disadvantaged in my personal race to grab CR5 :P but also I don't want to feel like in a months time after playing that i could be a month and a half down the line to getting all the shiny new unlocks I want to try out... I've been waiting for PS2 for many, many years I want to kill people in as many new and fun ways as possible ASAP.

Nonetheless, traditional style planetside levelling is sufficient. No micro-transactions for this. They should be for cosmetics (I hear people will pay about £60 for a monocle for example) or non-game changing things such as additional character slots or continent queue priority.... (ooh i loved doing a /comsanctuary to say skip the queue by pressing alt +f4 and going from position 80 to position 4 ).

I would talk more but i feel this post is quite long...
Old 2011-07-20, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bags
Lieutenant General

There's no command rank in PS2.
Old 2011-07-20, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
knaggsy
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
There's no command rank in PS2.
I understand this but OS's are in the game to my understanding and I would hope that these are one of the last things people can "train for" and unlock.

I was using the CR5 example as I always enjoyed commanding in PS1.
Old 2011-07-21, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Operations
Private

Purchasing bonus xp is a bad idea. Keep that crap to EverCrack IMO. Nobody should be able to pay to advance faster than other players. Any other opinions?
I disagree, I think this is exactly the sort of thing they should have in the game store, convenience and fluff items.

Or put a tag above their head that says "I suck at this game so I need support"
Why?
XP isnt a measure of skill, its a measure of time.
An average player who plays alot will earn more XP than a good player who can play only a little.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion