Dual-Wielding - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dam It feels good to be a gangsta
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-17, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Valdae
Sergeant

Re: Dual-Wielding

I like duel wielding in games like Halo, and even in Black Ops. Not sure if it would work so well in Planetside. It seems ironic, but the idea of it is kinda outlandish. :-/
Old 2011-08-18, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

Dual wield was useful for a couple hundred years, when pistols took forever to reload and had very limited shots.

Dual wield on modern automatic pistols is an invention of hollywood, nothing more. 9 times out of ten a guy using a pistol with a proper grip will kill a guy trying to use 2 pistols. Can aim better, compensate for recoil better, reload faster.

Still, I wouldn't mind it being an option. Higher rof, far, far worse cof, and a horrid reload speed. Useful for up close work perhaps.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
I'm sorry but ive played plenty of games with this feature. All it encourages is spamming nublets who just dw the flavor of the month hand gun. I'd much rather have using a pistol take skill like it does now.
So having two guns means it can't take skill to use them. Having a single gun makes it a skilled weapon. Adding two suddenly takes that away. Interesting hypothesis. I'm gonna ignore that idea though and assume it can be balanced like anything else in a game. Shooting down a possibly cool idea because of hypothetical worst case scenarios is a bit silly.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I love the idea of dual wielding guns. Pistols included.
I love how he includes pistols, so presumably he's starting out with dual wield jackhammers.
I knew someone would enjoy that. Yeah I like the idea of dual wielding most guns. If the game has heavy assault again obviously there can be limits. Actually dual wielding AV would be cool in my book. I mean if you want to specialize and fill holster slots with that kind of thing it's a pretty nice tactic. Still gotta reload but you could hit them hard.

Okay here's how I imagine it. Dual reticule system. If you fire with the left then the left reticule goes up and doesn't affect the right one. Fire rate is slowed by a little bit and the amount of bloom goes up.

I can tell you right now if I saw someone with dual medium assault in their hands just laying down fire then run out of ammo and throw those onto their back in one motion and pull pistols I'd say we'd have a badass game.

Obviously they'd need to reload, but it would be epic. Imagine you saw someone coming at you with dual weapons you could probably use a single gun and hit them a few times pretty easily from afar since they'd be required to control their bloom for each gun. Definitely balanceable even if it requires lowering the damage artificially per gun and per combination of guns.

I could see a matrix for each gun combination. Like pistol + medium assault and such. As you can tell I'm a huge fan of complexity in games.

// Edit also the system wouldn't change much. Hitting 1 then 2 would equal your two guns. Hitting 1 then 3 would equip say an MA you have in that holster then pull a pistol depending on the armor. yeah epic. Can you imagine seeing that during a fight where someone is cycling guns for tactics.

// Edit also watch this. Scene from one of the coolest gun movies ever.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-18 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

If you can dual wield there will be no use for HOT SWAPPIGN BEAMERS. That is clearly not a PlanetSide any of us would ever want to play.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I like the idea of being able to pull out your pistol and shoot with it while still holding your assault rifle or sniper in your left hand, rather than it magically dissapearing into your ass while your pistol is equipped ;p

Shooting two assault rifles is a cool idea, but i think would only be balanced with a mega accuracy nerf to be viable.

Also, i would hate for it to be the logical upgrade for all grunts. Perhaps if you couldn't spawn with two guns, but could equip a defeated enemies weapon in your off-hand after looting it. Something to make a guy with two guns be a survivor.

mechanic: run up to the corpse of the 5th person you've killed w/o a death and loot his corpse for off-hand weapon upgrade. More of a trophy upgrade and side-grade than a direct damage/rof upgrade.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Wanna dual wield pistols? Fine, but like stated it should take more than double the reload of just one pistol. The CoF should be insane. Knife disabled.

No friggen way on dual wielding assault rifles. Go try to dual wield M4s. Or maybe (just to make things hollywood realistic) MAC10s or UZIs. Does not work. At all. If its pistols ok, but nothing else.

Now, if Grenades are something you must equip again, then I think it would be fair to beable to left hand a grenade and shoot a pistol with the right hand, this would still cause you to incur an accuracy penalty because shooting one handed IS less accurate.
Old 2011-08-18, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zulthus
Colonel

Realistic enough for me
Old 2011-08-18, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
FIREk
Captain

PS2's art design looks very reasonable and militaristic. Akimbo is none of these things.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Huma
Sergeant

Theory? Have you ever played a game with akimbo? Let's see you face diwn some idiot dual wielding anything and call it skill. All you get with it is a high volume of fire and hip fire spraying. The only skill involved is pointing your cross hairs and laying down the trigger. Go play black ops or modern warfare and try it on for size then tell me it's worth something.
Old 2011-08-18, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Duel wielding doesn't work simply because the weapons you can use it with are typically close range anyway, a pistol isn't a long range weapon and at the ranges you use them you don't need to look down the sights. Therefore sacrificing aiming to do double the damage isn't really a fair sacrifice as you take a minor disadvantage for a huge increase in DPS.

It also creates balance hell as a gun dual wielded can be very different to its single relative. A few examples I can think of is the days of dual Glock-18's in MW2, the months of dual Model-1887's, The plasma-pistol + normal pistol combo in Halo 2+3.
Old 2011-08-18, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I love how he includes pistols, so presumably he's starting out with dual wield jackhammers.
You're aiming low. I'm starting with dual wield rocklet rifles, with original alt-fire.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Despite what Black Ops shows you, the military doesn't train it's soldier to dual wield and that's for one simple reason: It's stupid.

You ever try shooting two .45 caliber pistols at the same time? Sure, you can hit a target (close range) on your first volley...after that, good luck. Since you're using one hand it takes FAR longer to recover from the shot and regain your 'aim' (if you can call it that when you aren't looking down the sights). So unless you're willing to wait a period of time after each shot, you'll have extremely shitty CoF.

On the other hand, using a single pistol I can aim down the sights and squeeze of multiple shots with fair accuracy at a medium range.

Simply put, using one pistol is superior to using two at the same time. Sure, go ahead and implement it, but make it realistic. I wanna kill those CoD noobs who are spraying fire and wondering why they aren't hitting anything.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
Despite what Black Ops shows you, the military doesn't train it's soldier to dual wield and that's for one simple reason: It's stupid.

You ever try shooting two .45 caliber pistols at the same time? Sure, you can hit a target (close range) on your first volley...after that, good luck. Since you're using one hand it takes FAR longer to recover from the shot and regain your 'aim' (if you can call it that when you aren't looking down the sights). So unless you're willing to wait a period of time after each shot, you'll have extremely shitty CoF.

On the other hand, using a single pistol I can aim down the sights and squeeze of multiple shots with fair accuracy at a medium range.

Simply put, using one pistol is superior to using two at the same time. Sure, go ahead and implement it, but make it realistic. I wanna kill those CoD noobs who are spraying fire and wondering why they aren't hitting anything.
Why are you bringing realism into this? Think about the gameplay aspect. Stop trying to ruin a science-fiction game by making it the next Call of Battlefield. If something can be added that's cool and can be balanced into the game it doesn't need to be 100% realistic to Earth's physics.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Why are you bringing realism into this? Think about the gameplay aspect. Stop trying to ruin a science-fiction game by making it the next Call of Battlefield. If something can be added that's cool and can be balanced into the game it doesn't need to be 100% realistic to Earth's physics.
Dual-wielding is cool when that guy in the movies does it.

It's cool when you do it on single player or when you're the only one doing it.

When I see 30 people (we all know that's a low number for even the backdoor) doing it I just think it's dumb.

So you should only be able to dual-wield if you get the skill and are certified in Equilibrium.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post

You must have one or both of the following;

A. You know nothing about guns
B. Your forearms are made of jelly.

I go to my local range often and I shoot a multitude of guns. Some I dual wield, some I hold one with both hands. It isn't at all as hard as you seem to make it. If you actually exercise your forearms, you can even dual wield Desert Eagles with relative ease and above average accuracy. Here's a demonstration for you.

Even SMGs are very possible.

Now, you are completely right saying that one pistol is more accurate than two. However, you are wrong saying that one is superior to two. (In certain cases, of course... indoors, dual pistols would rape a single one.) It really sounds like you ARE basing your entire argument off of "Black Ops". Dual wielding guns IRL is not nearly as hard as you seem to think it is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion