Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Need some new threads
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-14, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
It avoids the issues of tunnel vision and screen shake.

Try driving your car with no mirrors, side, or rear windows, and 1/4 of the windshield painted over. Thats what driving in a game is like.

And they always bolt the camera to the frame, and you get to experience every single bounce and jiggle, even though your neck and eyes would compensate for this irl, maintaining far smoother vision.

They already said they're making the movement inside smooth. When you bank your aircraft your head moves with it after a delay, etc.

No. People who enjoyed them would use them. Would you disable weapon models if you could? I wouldn't. They aren't restrictive enough to worry about.
Neither is the cockpit, for what it's used for. Infantry are easily expendable and can't do barely any damage in the grand scheme of things. The aircraft have heavy armor, rockets, missiles, chainguns, etc. They need to be restricted further in order to be balanced. That is where the cockpit comes in. You can do much, much more damage than infantry but you'll actually have to look around and move your aircraft to find targets. So much work, I know.
Old 2012-05-15, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Neither is the cockpit, for what it's used for. Infantry are easily expendable and can't do barely any damage in the grand scheme of things. The aircraft have heavy armor, rockets, missiles, chainguns, etc. They need to be restricted further in order to be balanced. That is where the cockpit comes in. You can do much, much more damage than infantry but you'll actually have to look around and move your aircraft to find targets. So much work, I know.
Oh please. The cockpits aren't there for balance, they are there for eye candy. Any balance considerations are extremely minor. I want them gone not because I think I'll have a huge advantage, but because they really, really annoy me. Seriously annoy me. How in the world do they forget how to mold polycarbonate shells in the future? Every sci fi game does it. Need cockpits? Lets design them like they did in 1938! All I can think when I see them is "Nobody could design something so poorly". Cockpits improve immersion? Thats a laugh. Ones as poorly engineered as these destroy it.

But if balance is that important, then just make a 'Virtual Cockpit' Cert. There, now its a slight advantage, that you have to pay for, like the rest of the slight advantages you can get through certs. People who don't want it can spend those certs elsewhere. You'll laugh at me for wasting cert points, and I'll laugh at you for flying around in a box designed in 1938.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-15 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2012-05-15, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Zulthus
Colonel

Oh please. The cockpits aren't there for balance, they are there for eye candy. Any balance considerations are extremely minor. I want them gone not because I think I'll have a huge advantage, but because they annoy me.
Wrong. If somebody can see more because they aren't using a cockpit, that is not a minor balance problem. There is clearly a difference in playing field as the person not using it can see much more. Since they annoy you so much I guess you'll just have to get used to it or stick with land vehicles.

If its that important, then just make a 'Virtual Cockpit' Cert. There, now its a slight advantage, that you have to pay for, like the rest of the slight advantages you can get through certs. People who don't want it can spend those certs elsewhere. You'll laugh at me for wasting cert points, and I'll laugh at you for flying around in a box designed in 1938.
Nah, it's already forced. No point in trying to change that any more. More people clearly want it forced than not.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-05-15 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stew
Major

Going to miss 3rd person driving so much.. Gah. Thats a serious buzzkill. Theres a reason 95% of games featuring vehicle combat have it.

Oh well. At least the tanks realized cameras work, and theres no need for a clear glass cockpit.

I like how you say that like PS1 didn't allow it either.

Sorry but you misunderstood the whole thing !

youll be able to (( fly )) in 3rd person but youll not be able to engage combat properly and accuratly so youll have to switch in cockpit view for engagement only !

Just to (( fly )) youll be free like a bird to fly in 3rd person view !
Old 2012-05-15, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Stew
Major

It doesn't mean they're too restrictive if they are toggleable... but if they were, there just is simply no point in making cockpits in the first place since people take any sort of advantage they can get. No one would use them.

Admittedly I don't care about the three monitor thing anymore... that was kind of stupid.
Your rigth people have to be on the same base !

Anyones who can get any advantage will do it and those who like the cockpit view but get own by those who dont will desactivate them as well because the (( others )) use the disable option as a exploits !

So if its not force on theyre is no point in making cockpit view since by the end everyones will disable it those who like it and those who dont Just to be at an equal stand on a battle fairness stand point !

COCKPIT FORCE ON no matters whats

NO CERT of any sorte to exploits the whole cockpit thing

thats it thats all those who want to fly a camera must stay on planetside 1
Old 2012-05-15, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raymac
Brigadier General

What's all the bickering for? We've already seen 3rd person view for vehicles plenty of times. Clearly it's going to be in the game, unless I missed something?

Also, the cockpits look killer. Can't wait to see the Scythe.

Old 2012-05-15, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
What's all the bickering for? We've already seen 3rd person view for vehicles plenty of times. Clearly it's going to be in the game, unless I missed something?

Also, the cockpits look killer. Can't wait to see the Scythe.
Not all vehicles will have 3rd person - only air vehicles as confirmed here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...person+vehicle
Old 2012-05-15, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

Wrong. If somebody can see more because they aren't using a cockpit, that is not a minor balance problem. There is clearly a difference in playing field as the person not using it can see much more. Since they annoy you so much I guess you'll just have to get used to it or stick with land vehicles.
So you're also against modifiable field of views, widescreen support, three monitors, head tracking, and joysticks?

All things that give a distinct advantage. Far more than a toggle cockpit. Should those things be unsupported? Or are advantages only bad if they are free? In that case, I'll pay $10 for the flying camera view. Now theres a disadvantage to it, and a reason to use the cockpit.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-15 at 03:46 AM.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

It avoids the issues of tunnel vision and screen shake.

Try driving your car with no mirrors, side, or rear windows, and 1/4 of the windshield painted over. Thats what driving in a game is like. Can you imagine trying to navigate a crowded courtyard with no third person? 0_o
You don't have radar in a car, your situational awareness should be greater with it.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-15, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Not all vehicles will have 3rd person - only air vehicles as confirmed here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...person+vehicle
Thanks for the heads up. I like to think I keep up to date on everything, but obviously stuff can sneak through.

My 2 cents, just deal with it. I used 1st person exclusively in vehicles in PS1. You quickly get used to the size of your vehicle.

I could see how the cockpit view might get annoying, but most people wanted to get away from the "flying camera" style that PS1 had. I've always turned off the cockpit when I can going back to my X-Wing days, and I would justify it much as CJ has done, but it still always felt a little like cheating to me.

Let's see how it works out in testing. If it becomes a clusterfuck where ground vehicles are constantly banging into each other, I'm sure they will change it.

Old 2012-05-15, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Kipper
Captain

The problem with 3rd person on ground vehicles is that it allows you to see round corners. It happens on WoT. Part of the game or cheating? You decide..

If anyone can think of a way to have 3rd person on ground vehicles without enabling this 'feature' - I'm sure interest would be shown....!
Old 2012-05-15, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
The problem with 3rd person on ground vehicles is that it allows you to see round corners. It happens on WoT. Part of the game or cheating? You decide..

If anyone can think of a way to have 3rd person on ground vehicles without enabling this 'feature' - I'm sure interest would be shown....!
It also allows them to over terrain.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-15, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh please. The cockpits aren't there for balance, they are there for eye candy. Any balance considerations are extremely minor. I want them gone not because I think I'll have a huge advantage, but because they really, really annoy me. Seriously annoy me. How in the world do they forget how to mold polycarbonate shells in the future? Every sci fi game does it. Need cockpits? Lets design them like they did in 1938! All I can think when I see them is "Nobody could design something so poorly". Cockpits improve immersion? Thats a laugh. Ones as poorly engineered as these destroy it.

But if balance is that important, then just make a 'Virtual Cockpit' Cert. There, now its a slight advantage, that you have to pay for, like the rest of the slight advantages you can get through certs. People who don't want it can spend those certs elsewhere. You'll laugh at me for wasting cert points, and I'll laugh at you for flying around in a box designed in 1938.
So you're also against modifiable field of views, widescreen support, three monitors, head tracking, and joysticks?

All things that give a distinct advantage. Far more than a toggle cockpit. Should those things be unsupported? Or are advantages only bad if they are free? In that case, I'll pay $10 for the flying camera view. Now theres a disadvantage to it, and a reason to use the cockpit.
People shouldn't have to pay a penalty for liking immersion. And why should you get a bonus for disliking it. Your just like the folks ho turned the grass of in PS1. You don't deserve a good looking game like this.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
People shouldn't have to pay a penalty for liking immersion. And why should you get a bonus for disliking it. Your just like the folks ho turned the grass of in PS1. You don't deserve a good looking game like this.
I agree... I don't want to be punished by a game for wanting to play it with as high graphics settings as I can get away with.

Presumably, those people wanting to turn off cockpits wouldn't have a HUD either then, so no health bar, no weapon selection / ammo info, no targeting reticles, no speedometer, no altimeter, or anything else like that....

....Or should you magically get all that stuff, but without the instrument panel?
Old 2012-05-15, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
RSphil
Contributor
Major

loving these views. cant wait to see all of them. makes you feel like you are in the machine
LOVE IT
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion