Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with forcasts for Searhus!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Jump Pads (as seen)?
Yes 105 56.45%
No 81 43.55%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-17, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Jump Pad Poll

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Why is there another thread. There are already 2 threads with this in it... You can see the general consensus in the other one that people like the design.
Because Evilpig would have had to PM the thread starters to make a poll which is inexpedient.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Duddy
First Sergeant

Why is there another thread. There are already 2 threads with this in it... You can see the general consensus in the other one that people like the design.
Would appear in contention to me.

Though I question how much of that is due to understanding, perception and bias.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Atheosim
Captain

Because this one has a poll?
Old 2012-05-17, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Would appear in contention to me.

Though I question how much of that is due to understanding, perception and bias.
This and every other issue ever.

edit: sorry for double post.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Mechzz
Major

Like or don't like is all well and good. Can someone please define how the pads will affect gameplay, either positively or negatively? I'm not seeing much discussion of why these things are liked or not liked.

Does this kind of pad lead to excessive numbers of certain types of kills?

For me, they look fun but am not sure if they will hinder more than they help. Would rather play in beta to see how it pans out.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Graywolves
General

I think it will be changed a little bit just for efficiency before launch if they keep the jump pads. Although still share the same concept.

Overall I'm a little on the fence. In a major battle I don't think it will be used as much as it makes a player very vulnerable for a moment.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

I'm okay with this current implementation.

I think it would be better if they were more mechanical. More elevator like for the vertical ones.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
This and every other issue ever.

edit: sorry for double post.
You're right, that is a bit of a catch-all. It just gets worse when everybody starts to speculate, we need facts!
Old 2012-05-17, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
More like:
Is it silly? Vote against it.

I mean really, why not have a comedic giant catapult to fling the soldiers around the base? That's "fun".
You want to talk about silly? I've got 1 word for you: Nanites. It's sci-fi. It's always a fine line there when you start talking about what's silly or not.

Plus "silly" is as subjective as "fun".

My point still stands. Every...single...time...something new gets introduced, most of the vets here are against it right off the bat. I don't mean to imply that everything new is great. I'm merely pointing out this community is not a fan of any minor change at all.

Old 2012-05-17, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Zekeen
Major

I personally don't like jump pads.

With that said, I think they COULD work, but there's a big issue here. I think they should be on only very few bases.

Jump pads make it seem like a quake arena match rather than a semi realistic sci fi shooter. We have other things for getting around bases, like jump jets. Planetside was great because it made you work a little. I know these bases are much much bigger and need more navigation abilities, but jump pads feel INCREDIBLY out of place.

Imagine if the base was the area of a major battle, watching dozens upon dozens of people jump padding around at once, what the heck will that look like? It looks odd and I think there would be easier things to add.

I also think the gravity elevators don't fit at ALL, but they are far more tolerable than jumping around like that. I rather see more mobility options that strange things that feel out of place.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Graywolves
General

Lets avoid generalizations, especially the adaptive abilities of vets.

-Note the poll is currently in favor of mancannons-
Old 2012-05-17, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Lets avoid generalizations, especially the adaptive abilities of vets.

-Note the poll is currently in favor of mancannons-
Ha. Ha ha. Thank you Gray. Are you going to be playing on the west coast?
Old 2012-05-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dreamcast
Major

Halo Rip off IMO...Could work tho.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

They are needed these bases are huge with multiple floors. You see how tall they are ?Planetside didn't have any thing this huge. I love planetside but I considered Ps a slow paste game. So I think of all the times running to the action waiting for my surge to kick in and it seeming that I would not get there on time ... yeah I like the jumppas idea.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xyntech
Brigadier General

From a gameplay perspective, I like them a lot. They are a great idea for getting people around these new gigantic bases. As has already been mentioned in several places, they are a lot like the ziplines from the caves in PS1, but they are a lot more elegant.

From an aesthetic point of view, I don't really like them too much. A little bit too much of an Unreal Tournament kind of arcade shooter style IMO.

I think if they did something to make them slightly less arcade like, such as putting an activation button that you have to press to actually catapult yourself with them, it would probably help a lot.

Maybe change their visual slightly as well, such as enclosing them so that they are slightly more like a covered archway, like a little acceleration tube that grabs you and thrusts you forward from all around you.

The aesthetic side certainly can be tweaked, but I definitely think it will be a good contribution to base fights as far as gameplay goes. So on that note, I vote yes.

Not so much "as seen" from a visual perspective, but more "as seen" from a gameplay perspective.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion