Aircraft Flares - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This end towards enemy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Re: Aircraft Flares

Here's how I feel it should work.

Pilots have a switch. Said switch has 2 settings - chaff and flares.

People using missile launchers have 3 options, heat seeking, radar guided, laser guided.

When the pilot receives the warning they've incoming missiles, they'll need to read the HUD to note if it's a Radar or an infrared lock. Chaff will cause the Radar guided missiles to fly off target, and the Flares will cause the heat seeking missiles to fly off target, as in real life. This is 100% effective though, but now any time you have a group of soldiers using different rocket launchers to assault the same bird, that squad will be better off as long as the pilot doesn't have a good wingman who can help cover the other type of countermeasure.

The third option puts the kill strictly in the hands of the operator. The laser guided missile requires you keep the laser painting the target. If you're not painting something, the missile just flies straight like a dumbfire rocket, and if it can't see the laser, it won't hit that target. So now you have to keep the laser on the fast moving fighter plane of you want the missile to hit. Assuming the thing doesn't have the best zoom in the world, this would actually be a feat of considerable skill.

Problem solved.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
DayOne
Captain

This is not something I've thought about but something that would make a major impact on the game.

I'm all for limited flares but I hope bigger craft have more flares. Also different types/level of flares. Basic flares work as mentioned in Hypevosa's post but with higher levels you get more advanced flares that cover all types of lock, but these take up more room and so you get less.

Still, won't stop you getting ripped apart by MAX flak
Old 2012-05-19, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

The flairs would only matter if aircraft couldn't already boost out of range and outpace most AA missiles.

Not to say that I don't want them. They would be pretty awesome to see if the devs do the visuals right, but their role is already taken.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
The flairs would only matter if aircraft couldn't already boost out of range and outpace most AA missiles.

Not to say that I don't want them. They would be pretty awesome to see if the devs do the visuals right, but their role is already taken.
Can they do this? Source?

Missiles are faster than aircraft. Also with the scale I imagine launchers would have a fairly long range on their lock.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post

Missiles are faster than aircraft. Also with the scale I imagine launchers would have a fairly long range on their lock.
Ever tried to take down a reaver that wasn't already on top of you with a starfire max?
Old 2012-05-19, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Toppopia
Major

In the TB night ops, the only aircraft that TB shot at were basically at the maximum range so its easy to escape from that far, but in close range i highly doubt the aircraft would have avoided him, unless they did some crazy manoeuvres or hid behind a building.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Source is TBs first missile fired at a Scythe.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
In the TB night ops, the only aircraft that TB shot at were basically at the maximum range so its easy to escape from that far, but in close range i highly doubt the aircraft would have avoided him, unless they did some crazy manoeuvres or hid behind a building.
At close range flairs wouldn't protect an aircraft from being hit anyways, unless missiles suddenly are able to fly backwards.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bromaxulon
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
That's the little problem here. I can't really think of a solution... it wouldn't be fair to the pilots to not be able to resupply, but it wouldn't be fair to the infantry if they just have unlimited flares...

Maybe they could cost a small amount of resources after you use the ones that came with the aircraft?
You guys seem to forget that their are direct fire weapons that are designed to take down aircraft that completely ignore flares and other A.M.S.

Flare system only protects pilots from half the threats, this is not a problem and does not need to be modified or limited from what the current system is, which (i assume) is giving the pilot a limited number of flares with the ability to resupply them.

Last edited by Bromaxulon; 2012-05-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Timealude
Captain

I think the only aircraft that would need them are galaxies and maybe libs... the others could simply out run the missiles seeing as right now they have a limit of travel. Also If they were to add some sort of defense against AA for aircraft, you would at least in theroy be able to use it on a GG for obvious reasons. I honestly wouldnt even mind having a stealth side grade for a galaxy that would be active for a limited time...like say 10 seconds.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Limited flares is a great idea it adds an more depth to role of pilot in the game, and you shouldn't be worried about pilots resupplying them. The only ones that will survive long enough to resupply will be the ones flying hit and run. Guys who try to hover around in aircraft will probably find themselves getting blown up despite the flares because they are giving up their primary mode of defense, speed.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-05-20 at 12:07 AM.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Toppopia
Major

If you are hovering and deploy flares, the flares take ages to fall, so the splash damage from the rocket will still damage you quite a bit in an aircraft.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I want missiles with radar lock.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I want missiles with radar lock.
I can imagine pilots to avoid that flying roughly 10 metres above the ground. Imagine the dog fights.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bromaxulon View Post
You guys seem to forget that their are direct fire weapons that are designed to take down aircraft that completely ignore flares and other A.M.S.

Flare system only protects pilots from half the threats, this is not a problem and does not need to be modified or limited from what the current system is, which (i assume) is giving the pilot a limited number of flares with the ability to resupply them.
The current system is just like every generic flare system, recharging ones. (AFAIK)

If you got to choose between flares that recharge at the rate of which an AA missile is reloaded or a limited amount of rapid fire flares, which one would you prefer?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion