Anyone else worried about the Max? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes...We stole your money...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Anyone else worried about the Max?

Been watching the Live stream and Max units are dropping like flies to normal fire just watch a guy run threw 3 with out dying.
Old 2012-06-05, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Razicator
First Sergeant

Re: Anyone else worried about the Max?

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
Been watching the Live stream and Max units are dropping like flies to normal fire just watch a guy run threw 3 with out dying.
BETA ZOMG BETA BETA

Now that we got that out of the way , the MAX that we saw were of people brand new to the game. Plus there was not that much unit cohesion, so an isolated MAX unit against multiple agile infantry, especially outdoors, would lose. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 2012-06-05, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Not worried at all.

I have full confidence in the developers that they will tweak and balance the game during beta.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2012-06-05, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
blazie
Private

I'm sure they will be sorted before beta, the fact they can drive vehicles at the moment shows where they are in terms of tweeking MAX units.
Old 2012-06-05, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ikon
Master Sergeant

for all we know those kids had double aa guns equipped on their maxs.

disregard balance till beta
Old 2012-06-05, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Because I don't care to actually type very much lately, heres an excerpt from wikipedia:

Pre-alpha

Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project prior to testing. These activities can include requirements analysis, software design, software development, and unit testing.

In typical open source development, there are several types of pre-alpha versions. Milestone versions include specific sets of functions and are released as soon as the functionality is complete.

Alpha

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. The exception to this is when the alpha is available publicly (such as a pre-order bonus), in which developers normally push for stability so that their testers can test properly. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software.

The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be a feature complete.

Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price.

Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access.
Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

Open and closed beta
Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.

Examples of a major public beta test are:

In September 2000 a boxed version of Apple's Mac OS X Public Beta operating system was released.

Microsoft's release of community technology previews (CTPs) for "Longhorn" in January 2005.

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

Release candidate

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug.

A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities.

Tl;dr: Beta is beta. They can balance later.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mezorin
Corporal

From I saw in the video, MAX suits got eaten alive by ES main battle tanks and Lightning tanks, so I'm not too worried about them. Yes, they are a force to be reckoned with indoors (woe to the COD kiddies when they try to run and gun quick scope against a MAX for the first time ), but come on, all of us here know a MAX can be solved with a few boomers, an AV weapon, or just running away behind cover really fast.

What I'd be worried about is a group of MAXes backed up by good engineers and medics with their pew pew heal/repairs going crashing into a base. That's going to be some glorious ass whooping right there if you are not prepared for it. The funny thing about "OMG rush!" tactics in Planetside though is you can prepare for them, or get buried by them, as this is a massive strategy game at heart as well as an FPS.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

MAX units appear to be working as intended. Maybe tomorrow they'll decide to roll with rocket launchers. The same guys firing their rifles at MAX units are firing them at aircraft, after all.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
So, nobody noticed that MAX's can drive tanks and gun Libs?

Let the riots commence.
ohrly? you mean to say everything is final?

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Let the riots commence.
It was indicated that that "feature" would be going away in beta.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Let the riots commence.
Per Clegg during the video, that's for E3 only.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

I have absolutely zero problem with MAXes being squishy

unfortunately I know they will tweak this some
Old 2012-06-05, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fanglord
Sergeant

If you listen to the commentators, they said several times that the class types had been unlocked to let people test everything out and get a feel for the large scale. It's why MAX's could driver vehicles and vehicles where being spawned like peanuts.

I gotta say though, bar the MAX tanks it looks hella fun as it is.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

MAX's seemed fine to me, the only time they ever dropped was when they were being engaged by multiple enemies and and another MAX. In all the battles they appeared very tough, I mean in the kill-cam a Fission missle did 25% damage to one, that's a hell of a lot of hitpoints.

If anything they seemed rather overpowered, as the game went along the number of MAX units went up and up. They can turn just as fast as normal infantry which I think should be changed, they run as fast as a sprinting normal troops and can drop out of sprint in about half a second.

Indoors they were tearing through normal troops, infact I don't really see any normal infantry having a use indoors if MAX's are as powerful as shown. They didn't really seem to have a countermeasure other than getting Lib'd outside or getting taken on by 4-5 normal infantry/other MAX's.

But it is alpha and all, I think they just have too much maneuverability, too much damage and too much health. They should either be tough and low damage or moderate damage and moderate HP. At the moment they seem to have the best weapons, the best health and don't really pay for it all that much in maneuverability.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

MAXes can't jump so there's actually almost no dodging from missiles in a max, kinda changes many things.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion