Sony breakup into separate companies? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tell 'em why Earl!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-30, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Sony breakup into separate companies?

What do you guys make of this?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...division-split

SOE reports to SCE which is part of the electronics division and the makers of Playstation. Sony's Entertainment (movie and TV production) division is the more profitable of the two. Rumors maybe but I can see this movement gaining momentum as this article represents. It might be time for SOE to truly support SCE and start developing PS titles instead of PC. Just my 2 cents.
Old 2013-05-30, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fenrys
Major

Re: Sony breakup into separate companies?

Last I read, Sony was losing money on everything except their games, and they decided to make the Playstation honcho their new CEO a while back.

It might be good for Planetside to flee the sinking ship.
Then again, Sony still has a large reserve of capital that SOE would lose access to, so one good economic drought could wipe them out if they went solo.

I'm not sure if Planetside 2 development is sustainable all by itself. They might be losing money they plan to recover when the new Everquest is released, and using PS2 as a kind of beta test for the EQ engine. If that's the case, it's probably a good idea to remain latched to Sony's corporate teat at least until EQ's release.
Old 2013-05-30, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
What do you guys make of this?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...division-split

SOE reports to SCE which is part of the electronics division and the makers of Playstation. Sony's Entertainment (movie and TV production) division is the more profitable of the two. Rumors maybe but I can see this movement gaining momentum as this article represents. It might be time for SOE to truly support SCE and start developing PS titles instead of PC. Just my 2 cents.
Suggestion: Read some books or something, learn, get a clue.

SOE focusing on Playstation games, lol. You dont even remotly know what you are talking about.
Old 2013-05-31, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Suggestion: Read some books or something, learn, get a clue.

SOE focusing on Playstation games, lol. You dont even remotly know what you are talking about.
Dont need a book to understand that you can download games on consoles direct to the hardrive.

Add in the fact that FTP on console is a huge market to tap into.

Only have to look at SOE's Portfolio of games. Most of all PS2 is rumored for PS4. Which the next gen console will easily handle. Plus SOE would of had the PS4 Hardware first. So developing there current engine makes sense.

It wont be their main focus. But i am certain they are working on it.

List of Developers that are confirmed to make games for PS4. Now what would SOE being doing there?

Smart move by Sony.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-05-31 at 02:49 AM.
Old 2013-05-31, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Nathaniak
Corporal

In some ways, it would be good to see this game on the PS4, as it would lead to more publicity, and more money for the devs, which would hopefully incentivise more development resources.

On the other hand, letting those console players get their grubby hands on Planetside... I'm getting a bit angry.
Old 2013-05-31, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Dont need a book to understand that you can download games on consoles direct to the hardrive.

Add in the fact that FTP on console is a huge market to tap into.

Only have to look at SOE's Portfolio of games. Most of all PS2 is rumored for PS4. Which the next gen console will easily handle. Plus SOE would of had the PS4 Hardware first. So developing there current engine makes sense.

It wont be their main focus. But i am certain they are working on it.

List of Developers that are confirmed to make games for PS4. Now what would SOE being doing there?

Smart move by Sony.
I dont see PS2 making it to PS4, I mean the style of the game itself, MMOFPS, lets drop the FPS part and just look at the MMO part, there arent many MMO's connected to the console world, well none that I have heard of. I mean dont get me wrong, it can be done, Im just saying with the attention span (ADD) of most console kids, PS2 would maybe be popular initially but when the next new hot FPS comes out for PS4, PS2 will be collecting dust in the harddrive. I have two console kids, they have a stack of games, most collect dust and those that are worth somthing get traded in at GS (Gamestop) for the newer games that come out and this is done quite often. So I guess the question is would the effort and time and money that it takes to keep this MMOFPS up and running, really be worth it for individuals who change games just as fast as they change there draws. And would a MMOFPS really be popular on a console. Personnally I just dont see it.
Old 2013-05-31, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
with the attention span (ADD) of most console kids, PS2 would maybe be popular initially but when the next new hot FPS comes out for PS4, PS2 will be collecting dust in the harddrive.
There is a common misconception amongst PC gamers that anyone who plays on a console is a 'console kid' and it's completely untrue.

I play PS2 alot but i also play on PS3, i wouldn't class myself as a console kid. I know loads of people who are all older than me (26) who play shooters on consoles.

But anyway i think PS2 will be a huge hit on PS4 and it would be stupid for them financially to not cross it over.

As for SOE going broke? If that's the case i really hope CCP pick up the forgelight engine to use on Dust cos that would be truly epic.
Old 2013-05-31, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
It might be time for SOE to truly support SCE and start developing PS titles instead of PC. Just my 2 cents.
I think consoles are worse than PCs.

And the reason consoles are more profittable, is their being less vulnerable to piracy. But in all technical apects PCs surpass consoles.

A good example is my single-core motherboard that I had. It was able to run even very spec-heavy games for 5 years straight without fps dropping below 30 (Which is good, and you are all just a bunch of spoiled kids ). The fact is - the motherboard itself was already relatively obsolete by the time I bought my PC.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-31, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rolfski
Major

I would be sad if this would diminish the chance (if there ever was any) of this game being pre-installed on every PS4 console (if this game will ever be launched on PS4).

Panetside 2 on PS4 would be good for all of us. The more people playing it, the better. Even if that involves people on a different (console) platform on a separate server.
Old 2013-05-31, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

There's a possibility they could put PS2 on the PlayStation. The question I have is: Will it play cross-platform online with the PC players?
Old 2013-05-31, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

For awareness, being on the PS4 wouldn't be bad for the PlanetSide game series.

Just lacks a lot of control and communication functionality, IMO.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-31 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2013-05-31, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dreamcast
Major

PS2 for PS4 would benifit PC players.

Sadly Planetside 2 seems to be dying, a Launch on PS4 could be the rejuvenation it needs.

First of all it will be a bigger hit on the PS4, here is why.

First Console Game with 2000 players on a map(if they can make it run)

Actual Tutorial this time around...Sorry guys but that is a big deal and reason people couldn't get into ps2.

No Pay 2 Win view...One of the big problems with Planetside 2 when it came out is that their was no way to get certs, now with these new medals/ribbons, it doesn't feel like P2W, atleast to me.

Basically Planetside 2 on PS4 is sort of fixed game and not the Messed up game with got on PC....which turned down PC gamers.

So if the game is succesful on PS4, we benifit, get more content added.

Also I doubt PS4 gamers will play with PC gamers but who knows, I wish.....it will probably be different servers like DC Universe.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2013-05-31 at 08:16 AM.
Old 2013-05-31, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
For awareness, being on the PS4 wouldn't be bad for the PlanetSide game series.

Just lacks a lot of control and communication functionality, IMO.
Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to PS2 being released for the PS4 as long as both are designed around their respective platforms.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-31, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Fenrys
Major

there arent many MMO's connected to the console world, well none that I have heard of.
I played one of the Everquests (forget which) on a Playstation 2 back in 2004 IIRC.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
And the reason consoles are more profittable, is their being less vulnerable to piracy.
It's cheaper to develop games for consoles because there is only 1 standardized hardware configuration you need to optimize for and bug test.

I'm not sure if piracy has much of an effect on profitability. Some people buy games after pirating them, when they would not have bought it if they never had the opportunity to try it first. Others just don't have the cash and would not buy it anyway. I don't know what percentage of pirates have the money but choose to not pay for the games they enjoy. It's probably a smaller number than the industry lobbyists would have us believe.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2013-05-31 at 08:35 AM.
Old 2013-05-31, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dragonskin
Major

I dont see PS2 making it to PS4, I mean the style of the game itself, MMOFPS, lets drop the FPS part and just look at the MMO part, there arent many MMO's connected to the console world, well none that I have heard of.
List of MMOs for console. Playstation 2 had Final Fantasy XI which was later brought to Xbox 360. Playstation 3 currently has Free Realms and DC Universe... both are free to play models created by SOE. Final Fantasy XIV will be on a playstation platform as well... originally slated for PS3, but will more than likely be on PS4 unless this was scrapped. I haven't kept up with Final Fantasy XIV after the PC release crashed and burned.

There is absolutely nothing stopping MMOs from coming to consoles. There is no reason to beleive that Planetside 2 won't be on the PS4. The hardware can handle it. They could adapt it for controllers or players could use a mouse and keyboard. However, they will likely run Planetside 2 on console only servers like they do for DC Universe... but they don't have to because in Final Fantasy XI you could play with people on Xbox 360, PC or Playstation 2.

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
I played one of the Everquests (forget which) on a Playstation 2 back in 2004 IIRC.
I forgot about this one since I was playing Everquest on PC at the time. The game was Everquest Champions of Norrath.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_of_Norrath

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2013-05-31 at 08:48 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion