Planetside 2 listed as a Playstation 4 launch title - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Helping the government brainwash you, one post at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-22, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
camycamera
Major

Re: Planetside 2 listed as a Playstation 4 launch title

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with OP. No water. No strategic metagame. No lattice for Amerish, even. No multithreading. And even after going like gangbusters better than a year, the devs are gonna have all this ready in FOUR FREAKING MONTHS. Yeah. Right. They need another six on top of that, bare ass minimum. But they won't get it. Again. And we'll be stuck with three-four servers for PC and PS4 existing alongside each other, both with dwindling pops.

They went public too soon because of the Alpha Squad debacle, and they're going public too soon with this. And that's a management decision. A Smed decision. His stink is all over this. I wonder how many franchises that fat stupid grinning bastard is going to destroy before they finally fire him.

I give Planetside 2 two years.

/sullen funk
within those 2 years, PS2 will most CERTAINLY have all of that stuff you want in. hell, i bet we will have all of those features in by mid next year at the MOST.
Old 2013-08-22, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Launch was mentioned a couple of days ago but clearly the 2-4month timeline for "optimization" was a distraction.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...4&postcount=48
Old 2013-08-23, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Here is an interview with Smed regarding user and revenue distribution between PC and PS3 on another of their titles, DCUO. 70/30 and you wonder why they want PS2 on PS4?

"The single fastest growing segment of our business is DC Universe Online on the PS3," says John Smedley, president of SOE. "70 percent of our revenue [on that game] comes from the PS3 and 70 percent of our players come from the PS3."

Because the company has been offering deep free-to-play experiences longer, it also has worked out a system to more quickly approve updates - something that could aid it in the next generation.

"One of the advantages we have had is we were the first with Free Realms," says Smedley. "With that, we've helped the QA group set up the system. What happened is there's a trust level that builds up. They do certain checks every time - but over time, if you don't screw up, they start to trust your [internal] QA."

Consoles, he says, actually have some notable advantages over the PC when it comes to free-to-play. There's consistently stable hardware and software and the installed base is constantly growing. Most importantly, though, the barrier to microtranscation purchases is lower.

"There's a higher likelihood of having a payment system on file," he says. "And since these are dedicated gaming systems, you're more predisposed to try something, whereas when you're on the PC, you might get distracted by, say, Facebook or something."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ff-on-consoles

Last edited by Calista; 2013-08-23 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2013-08-23, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Calista View Post

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]"The single fastest growing segment of our business is DC Universe Online on the PS3," says John Smedley, president of SOE. "70 percent of our revenue [on that game] comes from the PS3 and 70 percent of our players come from the PS3."
I have no doubt there's more market with PS3 however them numbers that he said are like he just spewed them out without thinking... 70 % revenue / 70 % of playerbase from PS3. I played DC online (for about 5 mins) on PS3 and i'm pretty sure it was F2P if my memory serves me correctly I never paid a thing and i'm sure there were many, many more who did the same. That's why i don't under stand them figures.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion