Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Land of the free, Home of the Deadly
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-02-18, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Do we have any recent PhysX game we could use to judge how much it matters whether it runs on your GPU or CPU?

Then again, after all the driver troubles I had with my Radeon 9600XT I am reluctant to go ATI again, price be damned
We still don't know what kind of PhysX will be used. Fortunately we only need to wait a few more days to find out.
Old 2012-02-28, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
BloodySoul
Corporal

Well my laptop seems to be able to handle Tribes on High graphics so I don't think I will have a problem with PS2.
Old 2012-02-28, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by BloodySoul View Post
Well my laptop seems to be able to handle Tribes on High graphics so I don't think I will have a problem with PS2.
If you have a bulky 17 inch gaming desktop replacement laptop I would hope so.
Old 2012-02-28, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
BloodySoul
Corporal

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
If you have a bulky 17 inch gaming desktop replacement laptop I would hope so.
All I know is that for now, I have 9 pounds of gamer awesomeness. lol I think the graphics for the game will be epic anyhow, even for people who play on low graphics. But do you think floral will be mandatory? I hope so, would be cool to hide in the grass knowing everyone see's the grass.
Old 2012-02-28, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

All I know is that for now, I have 9 pounds of gamer awesomeness. lol I think the graphics for the game will be epic anyhow, even for people who play on low graphics. But do you think floral will be mandatory? I hope so, would be cool to hide in the grass knowing everyone see's the grass.
I'm hoping it is. Stupid to put in so much of it in the highest graphic setting for it to do nothing. That kinda disappointed me in PS anyway.
Old 2012-03-02, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Traak
Colonel

17 inch screens are the new standard for high-perf or even moderate-perf laptops.
Old 2012-03-02, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
17 inch screens are the new standard for high-perf or even moderate-perf laptops.
Yeah, but those things are heavy. Much prefer an 11" and TV hdmi output. Or if you have dual cards, 17" + TV hdmi to whatever size.
Old 2012-03-03, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
BloodySoul
Corporal

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Yeah, but those things are heavy. Much prefer an 11" and TV hdmi output. Or if you have dual cards, 17" + TV hdmi to whatever size.
I got a 9lb 19 inch laptop lol xD.. overkill much?
Old 2012-03-03, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I got a 9lb 19 inch laptop lol xD.. overkill much?
In two years that'll be a $2k paperweight.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-03-03, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Krowe
Sergeant

I paid more than $400, and the only problem I've had with many games is heat output. Even that is manageable if you change your environment around.
There are things I miss, sure, but many features about my laptop are much better than my old desktop (that I was using a little more than a year ago).
Old 2012-03-03, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ailos
Contributor
Major

You should probably expend another $50 and get a proper cooling pad for your laptop. One of my friends (who also feverishly refuses to buy a desktop and opts for expensive laptops) recently burnt his second laptop in the last 9 months.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-03-04, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

My laptop runs the AMD Llano chip, aka fustion APU. It has some decent integrated graphics. Massively better than the useless HD3000 crap in intel chips. I actually got it to use with my telescope's celestial camera so wasnt planning on gaming but it runs pretty much everything great. L4D2 maxed at 60+fps, WoW with all but shadows maxed at great FPS, etc. I see no reason it wont also run PS2 on atleast medium settings. And btw, i got a steal on this thing for around 400 bux, i think its closer to 500-550 now without that insane sale.

Its a 14", so its size is about the minimum before the screen gets too small to game on. It has HDMI output too if i need to hook it up to a monitor or hdtv. But on that small screen, i will be able to turn on most any setting that you could actually perceive and so it will look awesome. Now if i output it to a larger screen such as the 47" my main Desktop runs on, then yeah you might see not every graphic feature is on, but if you are outputting to a tv or monitor and gaming alot you should prob just get a desktop anyway.

Its in no way gonna compare with my OC'd 4.2ghz i7-2600k + OC'd GTX580, but for a portable system that cost a quarter as much, and esp on a screen that small, it will work just fine.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-03-04, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
But who ever carries their laptop around anyway? I mean, yeah, take it from the office to the car, or whatever, but play while carrying it? The laptop is just added portability for your computer.

Yes, I know, you get more performance per buck for a tower. But some people live lives that are more mobile than others, so we do what we have to.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum