BFRs - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside, be there, or be square
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-19, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Cadaverous_Fly
Private

Well this sucks...
I have wanted to get planetside since the day it came out but with my 16.8 kb internet connection it wasn't even humanly possible. After more than a year a form of high speed actually becomes available to me in the shape of a wireless connection which has a minimum speed of 6 meg's (6000Kb). I liked the though of planetside because it was futuristic weapons and vehicles using modern tactics on a planetwide scale. So now thier goin to add some Big F**cking Robot's to the game. Am i the only one who sees many problems with this? Unless their like 20 cert points everyone will have one and it will turn a good planetwide warfare simulation into a game of mechwarrior with unrealistic damage moddelling and 3 mechs (which by the way you only have access to one of. The SOE team needs to work on making the game work better with teams and more tactically. They need to fork out some better balancing already and now their throwing some huge robots into the fray? Some things that might make these robots less unbalancing would be if you could only spawn them out at Sanctuary or that each side could only have 10 active in the field at one time. Or pherhaps if they were just a wee bit smaller and had less destructive weapons.

I never got the point of a mech. Aside from looking really cool they should in reality be sooooo weak. I mean if you shoot a vehicle in the tracks it can still shoot and in some cases still move. If you shoot a mech in the legs it falls over and blows up. And why of all places would they put a shield generator on the back where it can be shot at why not inside???!!!!!

Ah i'm done ranting now and I feel much better... thank you for your time.

{edit}: These BFR's could work if they were smaller and less powerful but had very high speeds. Because the only point of having a weapons platform on legs intead of on treads or wheels ( a tank ) is mobility maybe the BFR could go through really dense terrain that a vehicle could not. And besides 60 meters is like a 5 story building.
I'm going to look really stupid if this is all a hoax...

Last edited by Cadaverous_Fly; 2004-07-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2004-07-19, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

There are checks in place to keep what you said from happening. The specifics have not been elaborated on by Sony, but needless to say, they are there. The devs have thought about balancing issues and have probably adjusted the BFRs accordingly. No one wants a MechWarrior copy. Plus it may infringe on some copyrights.

At the moment, we know squat. We only know that they exist, they are vulnerable to infantry, and they are big weapon platforms.

Mechs are giant weapon platforms that are designed to be more traversable than your average tank.

Think about it, if you load a tank up with all you wanted, you'd have this giant rectangular peice of metal that would be far to difficult to manage, to move into location, and generally it'd be a stationary turret with various weapons mounted on it.

Mechs, weapon platforms. Naturally, those at higher ground have an advantage over those on lower ground because of the angles and stuff, blah blah. With this in mind, Mechs gain an edge over your average tanks. Then there is weapon fire, it basically sports weapons of a tank on steroids. Why? Because it's designed to destroy tanks.

Yea, I do have some beefs with the height, but it's good in the respect that it makes it an even bigger target for everything.

I believe the only one with legs is the Vanu one, but I can be mistaken since I havn't actually gotten a close look at the other two.

Planetside does not use hitboxes, so a hit to the legs will cause the same damage as a hit to the head.

Why the shield generator on the back and not inside? This is probably a functional issue. If it were inside the mech, it'd be near impossible for anyone to destroy the mech, making it way imbalanced.

Don't worry though, if this is a hoax, I'll be the stupidest of all.

Edit: Btw, any information for the devs yet on the BFRs, they said they would release some info today...

Edit2: I looked in the Planetside Forums, there are so many different threads concerning BFRs, why can't they just have one like us?

Last edited by Meursault00; 2004-07-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 2004-07-19, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
PhatBoy
Private

At the risk of getting people annoyed by discussing the technology of mechs, there is no way that a mech would have manouverability advantages over tanks. Something that walks is going to need much more complex system to deal with its movement. It may be able to be more verstaile, but stepping up slopes would require a lot of calculations to balance its weight, and so on. Just because it is easy for us, doesn't mean that it would be easy for a machine. You may have seen that Sony robot that dances and stuff, and if it took all these years to build something that is about 4 feet high, imagine something about 60 or whatever feet. It would also be incredibly fragile, so a tank that has a wheel or tread shot out can still move and be somewhat effective, a mech with one leg would be able to do nothing. In short, humanoid mech technology would be impossible to implement in any battlefield situation, and it would be pretty unrealistic even in Planetside.

Wow, I've ranted a lot about this.
Old 2004-07-19, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Batousai
Staff Sergeant

Me, I say Bring on the BFR cause as soon as one comes into range of my Phoenix I will pwn that damn thing and bring it to its knees. Besides if one of those things come into sight every soldier with a pistol will bring there guns to bare on the BFR. Besides theres nothing that a OS can't cure.

I say those things will have a average battlefield life expectience of about 10 to 5 mins at least.

Edit: even tho my average Battlefield life expectience is about 5 to 2 mins

Last edited by Batousai; 2004-07-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2004-07-19, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
MadCat360
Corporal

Originally Posted by Cadaverous_Fly
Well this sucks...
I have wanted to get planetside since the day it came out but with my 16.8 kb internet connection it wasn't even humanly possible. After more than a year a form of high speed actually becomes available to me in the shape of a wireless connection which has a minimum speed of 6 meg's (6000Kb). I liked the though of planetside because it was futuristic weapons and vehicles using modern tactics on a planetwide scale. So now thier goin to add some Big F**cking Robot's to the game. Am i the only one who sees many problems with this? Unless their like 20 cert points everyone will have one and it will turn a good planetwide warfare simulation into a game of mechwarrior with unrealistic damage moddelling and 3 mechs (which by the way you only have access to one of. The SOE team needs to work on making the game work better with teams and more tactically. They need to fork out some better balancing already and now their throwing some huge robots into the fray? Some things that might make these robots less unbalancing would be if you could only spawn them out at Sanctuary or that each side could only have 10 active in the field at one time. Or pherhaps if they were just a wee bit smaller and had less destructive weapons.

I never got the point of a mech. Aside from looking really cool they should in reality be sooooo weak. I mean if you shoot a vehicle in the tracks it can still shoot and in some cases still move. If you shoot a mech in the legs it falls over and blows up. And why of all places would they put a shield generator on the back where it can be shot at why not inside???!!!!!

Ah i'm done ranting now and I feel much better... thank you for your time.

{edit}: These BFR's could work if they were smaller and less powerful but had very high speeds. Because the only point of having a weapons platform on legs intead of on treads or wheels ( a tank ) is mobility maybe the BFR could go through really dense terrain that a vehicle could not. And besides 60 meters is like a 5 story building.
I'm going to look really stupid if this is all a hoax...

Silence! And they are 20 meters!
Old 2004-07-19, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

20m in-game, by the way, is about the distance from the base of an air tower to the balcony (not the top). So they'll look pretty damn big to the average infantryman.

Of course, at this stage of PS most ground vehicles don't last that long as it is, and once a BFRs shields go down I'm willing to bet that they are sitting ducks.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
MadCat360
Corporal

Originally Posted by Meursault00
I believe the only one with legs is the Vanu one, but I can be mistaken since I havn't actually gotten a close look at the other two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the shield generator on the back and not inside? This is probably a functional issue. If it were inside the mech, it'd be near impossible for anyone to destroy the mech, making it way imbalanced.
The NC one os a giant chicken (It will be the pwnest of all!) And the TR one looks like some sort of Guntank look-alike (Those of you who like MS Gundam will know)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Being the nerd I am) If the shield gen was internal, it might create too much heat. Having it on the back provides more airflow to the component.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
MadCat360
Corporal

Originally Posted by Vis Armata
20m in-game, by the way, is about the distance from the base of an air tower to the balcony (not the top).
20m in-game is about from the gate of a bio lab (The one nearest the front door) to the front door.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Sigma
Private

why would you want to put a mech in a courtyard anyways, it can just simpily look over the wall and shoot anything in the courtyard

I can see my self in a mech right now...

"Big O, Showtime!!

Last edited by Sigma; 2004-07-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Trencher
Private

Hopefully not straying too far into off topic land (hey, it's my thread!) in defense of "mechs" in general I always thought the idea of giant robots was kind of pointless myself but in one of the most inspirational old animes, Macross (AKA the first 3rd of Robotech) the reason they have giant humanoid robots is because the enemy aliens are giant humans so their mechs were constructed to be able to fight them hand to hand and interact with their technology. Sort of makes sense... in this single case.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
slytiger
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gohan
Planetside is supposed to be like in the year 4000 or something. It dosent feel that futureistic aside from vanu weapons.

So dyeing and respawning hundreds of times as the same person isnt very futuristic?
Old 2004-07-19, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Batousai
Staff Sergeant

So Trencher, are you saying that the people that were on Auraxis B4 the expedition team sent by the Terren Republic from earth was twenty meters tall and that the Devs created a 20 foot robot to battle the orginal inhabitants of Auraxis?

Last edited by Batousai; 2004-07-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2004-07-19, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
PhatBoy
Private

Slytiger, the dying and respawning technology is simply an extension of technology that can be made possible, ie. cloning which has happened to animals in the past few years.
Old 2004-07-19, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Trencher
Private

Originally Posted by Batousai
So Trencher, are you saying that the people that were on Auraxis B4 the expedition team sent by the Terren Republic from earth was twenty meters tall and that the Devs created a 20 foot robot to battle the orginal inhabitants of Auraxis?
No. I'm saying in the most general non-planetside related sense that the show I mentioned was one of the most inspirtional big robot shows and that was it's justification for having "big robots" rather than MAX style suits or big tanks, or what have you. It was in response the earlier posts on the subject...

Although your post does give me a few ideas... hmm
Old 2004-07-19, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
n2q0_matrix
Contributor
Corporal

I've got two words for you all... (if this isn't a hoax)

King Kong

Here's an image for ya....BFR on top of a Biolab's dome....holding an infantryWOman, with mossys flying all around shooting at it......hehe

LOL

^_^
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion