Which HA weapon do you hate the worst? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with forcasts for Searhus!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one?
Lasher 32 37.21%
MCG 3 3.49%
Jackhammer 34 39.53%
All of them. 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-09-21, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
DropShipEdward
Contributor
Corporal

oooooh, bad dreams about the lasher, but i do enjoy watching agile`s getting a triple shot of the hammer

Sweeper and Guass for the teh win!

Last edited by DropShipEdward; 2004-09-21 at 02:40 AM.
Old 2004-09-21, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

HA weapons all suck. Nub weapons IMO. Learn to beat your enemies with a weapon that doesnt have triple the damage rate of any other infantry weapon in the game
See, I just dont get this argument. HA weapons have a niche role and arent meant to be used at long range or be universal. They are meant to dispense ownage up close which is what they do well. Thing is, you just cant complain about not being able to hang toe to toe unless you are going to invest in these weapons. If you are good enough to make do with the sweeper, great, but if you dont like getting owned by "n00bs" then stay at range and get the most out of MA. I dont see how an MA user has so much hate for HA when it doesnt affect the intended use of MA, especially when HA does exactly what it is designed to do. Devastate up close
Old 2004-09-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
See, I just dont get this argument. HA weapons have a niche role and arent meant to be used at long range or be universal. They are meant to dispense ownage up close which is what they do well. Thing is, you just cant complain about not being able to hang toe to toe unless you are going to invest in these weapons. If you are good enough to make do with the sweeper, great, but if you dont like getting owned by "n00bs" then stay at range and get the most out of MA. I dont see how an MA user has so much hate for HA when it doesnt affect the intended use of MA, especially when HA does exactly what it is designed to do. Devastate up close
All the important stuff happens indoors. Nobody likes being killed by weapons which require very little skill to use and give you little chance to survive against regardless of your own skills. It's just like reavers, really. Fights with HA generally involve two guys right next to each other holding down the fire button, pointing in the general direction of the enemy which is two feet away, and strafing back and forth until they die or the enemy dies. Wow, exciting. In contrast, because MA doesn't have the power of HA at close range, it matters a lot more how well you can aim and avoid fire, because unlike HA weapons, your clip doesn't have enough ammo to kill a half-dozen people. And, of course, MA also makes for exciting outdoor fights too, fights which bar none are my favorite part of Planetside, and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-09-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2004-09-21, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

No, I think it is just 2 different skill sets. There are some people with HA that time and again kill multiple people at once and survive. This isnt luck or an accident. You know who they are and you recognize them in the kill spam. They work the tight spaces like a master, knowing when and how to use which implants. They know when to run for cover, when to heal up, and can pop medkits while out-circlestrafing someone. They always have the right weapon for the job and can switch inventory like a Magician. If it is a MAX, they have a Deci waiting, and they know when to charge around a corner and when not to. Lack of skill? Quite the contrary. It is just a very different skill set than you use for sniping, MA or even things like cloaking. MA requires more patience, it requires good technique on bursting, properly using cover to your maximum advantage. You have to know when to retreat and always be aware of possible cloakers. You have to be good at using zoom and good with aiming at long distances.

It is a different skill set. some people suck at dogfighting, some people suck at cloaking, and some people suck at going toe to toe.
Old 2004-09-21, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
No, I think it is just 2 different skill sets.
I see you use HA yourself, just like Air Cavalry, so I was expecting to see you defend HA just as you defended reaver spamming. I know what a futile argument is after the reaver thread, and it's not something I'm going to get into again with you. I've been using HA for a while, I've been using MA for well over a year now to one degree or another, and I know from my own experience that HA takes very, very, very little skill specific to HA weapons to use. The vast majority of what you do using a HA weapon is the same as using a MA weapon at close range, only without the need for fire control, or caution regarding ammo consumption. It's MA for idiots, and requires no more skill than spamming infantry with reaver rockets does. I know you're going dispute this, and that's fine, but I really don't care and am not going to drag this out like I did with reavers. As far as I'm concerned, we can agree to disagree, but I have a feeling you won't be up to that quite yet.
Old 2004-09-21, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Nope, disagreement on the topic is just fine
Old 2004-09-21, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I wouldn't say all HA was skillless, but I don't think it matters whether it's a newb weapon or not. HA is designed to dominate indoors, especially the Jackhammer and people use up 4 certs to get it. Indoors their only counter is HA, SA or MAX units. Personally I just accept that they had a better tool for the job.
Old 2004-09-21, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Lartnev
I wouldn't say all HA was skillless, but I don't think it matters whether it's a newb weapon or not. HA is designed to dominate indoors, especially the Jackhammer and people use up 4 certs to get it. Indoors their only counter is HA, SA or MAX units. Personally I just accept that they had a better tool for the job.
I wouldn't mind if there were more of a reason to fight outdoors, so fighting wouldn't be close range so often. Decent outdoor fights that let me flex my MA don't happen nearly as often as fights within bases, or very close to bases. It's the latter two situations where HA dominates, and it's the fact that those situations happen so frequently that makes me resent HA, as it's overly useful due to its role being perfectly suited for the most common and important types of battles in the game. We're never going to get really good infantry combat that let's people shine with their skill, simply because PS can't afford to offer that level of learning curve, but it'd be nice if the weapons which dominated outdoors got the use that HA indoors does. They didn't really do a good job of it with the LLU's, but hopefully they'll find some good ways to make people fight outdoors more yet.
Old 2004-09-21, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Red October
Second Lieutenant

HA does dominate indoors and in close combat situations. As a cloaker, I've never been killed by HA from long distance...

...only when the bastard bumps into me or flickers is DL on
Old 2004-09-21, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Phaden
Contributor
Major

But i do hate the random lasher spam to assure that there are no cloakers. God i hate hiding still, someone opens a door and just spams in hopes of getting someone who isnt nesc there.
Old 2004-09-22, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

i vote for the lasher because i can't use it. i hate the thing - so inaccurate.
pulsar any day, and i'll take on jackhammers and mcgs alike.
Old 2004-09-22, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
DeepStrikeck
Sergeant Major

I personally love all of them. So yea, don't have any probs w/ 'em
Old 2004-09-22, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
oddfish
Colonel

i'm an MA fiend ever since i started hoarding other empire MA weapons. I've got a locker full of Pulsars and Cyclers.. And damn it i love the Gauss to death. so accurate and so powerful.

of course, my primary weapon is always the Phoenix because i love hunting MAXes and vehicles. but pairing it with an MA is the only way i'd go. The only reason i'd ever cert in HA is so that i could feel bad ass zerging a TR base and picking up an MCG from a fallen TR and hoseing the entire hallway until i get raped by a guy with a thumper. .. anyways, MA for teh win. HA is necessary, but if you want to dress to impress, go into battle with a Pulsar/Cycler/Gauss/Sweeper on your back. Nothing excites me more than an MA fight in CQB. fun shit.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-09-22, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

My favorite AI weapon is the Cycler. So me and a Gauss are often seen together.

My loadout in January before I stopped playing was a Gauss, Phoenix, BANK, REK, two boxes of Phoenix ammo, 3 boxes of bullets, CUD, and 5 medkits. Sometimes I would go with only one Phoenix box and stick in two more medkits.

And I would drive an Enforcer. I didn't use the Jack much, mainly because Rexo back then wasn't the best way to use HA.

When I couldn't find a decent gunner, I flew a Reaver. Say what you want about missile spam, it works better than the guns for AI...sucks against anything else cept nonmoving targets.

Old 2004-09-23, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
soydios
Private

I hate the Lasher, on both ends.
Firing it: the damned orbs are so slow. I use a Thumper for hallways.
Receiving it: I hate the damn fool lash effect (around corners? isn't that SA?) and the lag/stutter it causes me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion