Zetas Beginers Guide to PlanetSide - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ▓ whoa, whats that?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-22, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zeta
Private

Zetas Beginers Guide to PlanetSide

Below is what I would consider the upmost starters guide to PlanetSide. It's not going to cover everything, but it should give a good jump-start to the game, especially for some of the more tricky aspects at the beginning.

1. Join Up

Join a Squad or Outfit. You will share XP, and it will make the game easier since you'll be able to organize your attacks and coordinate with teammates. Also, it's the most fun way to play the game!

2. Gear Up

Decide how you want to play. Would you rather fight and Grunt around, or be more of a Support player? Maybe a little bit of both.

If you decide to fight and Grunt around then I would suggest Certing into Reinforced Exosuit and Heavy Assault weapons, plus Anti-Vehicular weapons/Special Assault. A sample Loadout could look like this:

If you'd like to play a more Support role then I would suggest Certing into Medical, Engineering, and Hacking, as well as some of the Support vehicles. A sample Loadout could look something like this:

Jammers are extremely important to carry around since they can neutralize all vehicles and Spitfire Turrets. They can also destroy all Boomers and Mines. You don't even need a direct hit. They will stop all ground and air vehicles from being able to fire at you for a short period of time.

Use your Right Mouse Button to Hot Swap items back and forth between your Inventory and Weapon Slots! Make sure to leave some room when Hot Swapping larger items for smaller ones, like a pistol for a grenade.

3. Certifications

Access to weapons, tools, and vehicles are all granted by using Certification Points. Certification Points are earned by achieving Battle Ranks from gaining experience when killing enemies and capturing bases.

4. Implants

Implants are used to help boost your characters abilities in a variety of ways. You can earn an Implant Slot every 6 Battle Ranks for up to 3 Implant Slots total. Some Implants are more useful/universal than others.

Sensor Shield is extremely useful. Not only will you not show up on your enemies radar but you wont be detected or shot at by Spitfire Turrets. Only if you make noises, like firing your weapon, jumping, or taking damage will you be detected. However, if you've already been spotted by a Spitfire Turret before you turned on Sensor Shield then it's too late. You wont be able to turn it on and stop them from firing at you.

Advanced Targeting will help you identify a player or vehicles health so that you'll know which targets are more vulnerable than others.

Surge is great for getting places fast!

5. Find the Fight

Check your map to see where Hot Spots are. Hot Spots will tell you where a battle is going on.

Use the HART to automatically transport yourself to the battlefield. Locate the HART building in Sanctuary and wait for the High Altitude Rapid Transport to arrive. Once aboard, you'll be able to use a Drop Pod and land on any continent that isn't currently locked by another Empire.

You can also use a Warpgate to transport yourself to another continent, if you prefer to fly or drive yourself to the fight instead.

6. Capturing Bases

Bases are captured by Hacking into the Control Console with your Remote Electronics Kit (REK). You will have to locate the Control Console inside of a base to Hack it. Some bases are Hack-and-Hold, where you must remain at a base during the Hacking process, others are LLU (Lattice Logic Unit) where you must bring the Lattice Logic Unit to another base in order to capture the base you are Hacking.

7. The Lattice

The Lattice is what connects each base to one another and links their benefits together. Each unique base-type has its own special benefit. For example, if a Tech Plant is linked to another base, then that base will also share the Tech Plants unique ability to pull Heavy Armor/Tanks.

You can only Hack or capture a base if it's on the edge of a Lattices links. Bases that are inside of a Lattices links are automatically protected from Hacks. Vulnerable bases are indicated by a yellow "linking line", meaning they can be Hacked.

8. Back Binding

It is extremely important that you Back Bind your player to a secondary base. If you ever get stuck respawning at the same base during the main fight then just make sure you've already Back Bound to a previous base. Drive your vehicle over to a secondary base, outside of the main fight, and Back Bind your player there so you'll have the option of respawning there later. If it's already too late, and you're stuck spawning at the same base fight, then just Recall to Sanctuary and use the HART to Hot Drop onto a separate base that you'd like to Back Bind to.

I've left out a lot of stuff, like many of the Vehicles, Cloaking, and Sniping, but for an immediate jump-start to the game I would recommend starting here.

Please feel free to reply and add anything to the list that I've left out :)

Last edited by Zeta; 2020-01-14 at 03:50 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
bullet
First Sergeant

Re: Zetas Beginers Guide to PlanetSide

Looks good so far. I hope some of the new guys get a chance to check out the inventory set ups because I saw some bad ones last night.
Pulsar + Rexo filled up with Ammo isn't the way to go.

Edit: It would probably be good to tell them at what BRs you get implant slots unlocked.

Last edited by bullet; 2013-05-22 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Logit
Second Lieutenant

It would be worth noting that you can get to BR 5 by going in to the VR and trying out all the weopons, pulling all the vehicles, and sitting in the gunner seats.

Quick and easy cert points.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

cert a personal transport vehicle. if you're running in a squad, make sure that you or a squad mate have a squad transport vehicle (air support/ground transport, or buggies). I saw so many people running around without transport these last two days. You don't need to footzerg across the cont!

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Beginners guide? Add two important things:

1. Get into VR first, try out all stuff, get to BR3 for free. Tell them where to find the cert terminals, and how to use the cert system.

2. Tell people how to find the fight, and how to get into it!

The only new players that would come into PS1 right now are PS2 players. Game is to different to be simply understood from a PS2 players perspective, so make sure you write up what they need to know.
Old 2013-05-23, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wahooo
Captain

Getting to the fight is the biggest issue right now for a new player. Hell my first log on I had to fly through a few WG to get to really the only big fight. It is NOT intuitive for new players.
Old 2013-05-23, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

Instant Action has worked for me every time since free time was added. This is because the fights that are happening are only on the conts that have people which are producing hotspots.
Old 2013-05-23, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GTGD
First Sergeant

Instant Action works great for me. And if it doesn't, the HART is always only a couple minutes away. The only time things are really tough is when there are no open continents and you don't have access to vehicles.
Old 2013-05-24, 07:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

For the newbees out there, here is the online manual:

http://planetside.station.sony.com/h...anual_index.vm

A lot of very useful explainatory videos by TheLegendaryNarwhal.

Certifications and implants:

Bases and map:

New Conglomerate Weapons and Vehicles:

Terran Republic Weapons and Vehicles:

Vanu Sovereignty Weapons and Vehicles:

PS vs PS2 (inventory vs class) comparison

PlanetSide 1 Wiki by PlanetSide Syndicate containing all kinds of numerical information you might be looking for, including detailed patch note history.

http://wiki.planetsidesyndicate.com/...itle=Main_Page

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-24 at 07:06 AM.
Old 2014-03-10, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zeta
Private

Updated. I decided to go ahead and add the cert terms, equip terms, and hacking...etc.

It's still missing some stuff and some pictures, for now.
Old 2014-04-29, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zeta
Private

Updated. More pictures to come.
Old 2014-05-07, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Zeta
Private

Updated.
Old 2014-05-08, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

This looks very helpful for new players, maybe it could get a sticky? That way we can allways fall back on "check the wiki or the beginners guide on psu" incase we're too busy to answer a question ingame.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion