Infiltration armor and shield - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: life is a b!tch, her name is {{eMaGyN}}
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-15, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Knight309
Private

Infiltration armor and shield

K, heres the Q:
Who in beta has tried a shield/infiltration suit combo? It is my thought(and only a thought) that this could possibly up the inf suit to an agile suit (w/o shield) equivalent or at least halfway there?

Is this assumption anywhere near true? Also, i know the shield takes stamina, does the cloak ability take stamina?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

PS. Does the common pool pistol and/or the TR pistol have AP ammo as well as standard?
Old 2003-04-15, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Spitnaz
Private

I haven't tried the combo, but I do use the shield implant and it seems to only absorb a few shots...barely noticeable but when you often win a fight with a few HP left you know it made the difference.

And the stealth suit does not use stamina or energy or anything...you simply toggle it on or off for as long as you like.

All the pistols can use ap ammo as far as I know (expect of course the Vanu energy pistol which can just toggle firing mode).
Old 2003-04-15, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I've tried it. First off, the shield uncloaks you when you use it, so it sort of defeats the purpose of being in infiltration armor. Second, the shield goes down really quickly, especially as an infiltrator who's unstealthed.

Moral of the story is that no stealthers will be using shield anytime soon, which IMO is very good, as they'd be pretty damn tough if they could use it and stay cloaked.

Disclaimer: Unstealthing may be a bug though, but I never read that it was. This disclaimer is just a precaution.
Old 2003-04-15, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
simba
Major

warborn, y would u activate it when ur invislbe? then no1 shoots on u anyway! try 2 use it when some1 has spotted u and starts 2 shoot at u, or when u start opening fire on some1.
Old 2003-04-15, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knight309
Private

just an idea. I like simbas idea, never occured to me, even if the shield drains quickly, for an infl suit, thats more defense than it will ever have w/o it.

Thats the reason i thought of the combo.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

the best one for infs is the melee booster,since u will be mainly using the knife, sooooo.... bye

teeny weeny text! weeeeee!!!!

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2003-04-15, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

warborn, y would u activate it when ur invislbe? then no1 shoots on u anyway! try 2 use it when some1 has spotted u and starts 2 shoot at u, or when u start opening fire on some1.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but here goes. When I was testing the shield implant I tried it both while cloaked and when not cloaked. When cloaked, you uncloak and the shield activates. If you re-cloak, shield turns off.

Now, this is unacceptable for the simple fact that you uncloak when you use the shield. I don't know if you're aware of it, but when you attack or hit someone with a gun or knife while cloaked, you do not uncloak. You are uncloaked until you hit K or whatever your Cloak key is set to, or use an implant like the Shield that forces you visible.

So, why not wait until you're being shot to use the shield? For one, you may be killed before you have time to activate the shield. When I was playing an infiltrator, I would always have a Jammer grenade in my hand, ready to throw. The reason being is that if someone has Darklight vision on and they see you, you will be killed before you can draw a grenade and fire it. Let me add emphasis: If they can see you, you die. That's why I consider shield useless. The amount of protection it offers you is neglibile compared to the amount of danger you'll be putting yourself in by uncloaking. One enemy with Darklight is bad enough; giving away your position to every enemy within sight is suicide, and quite honestly, I can think of many far better implants to use to save my tail besides a cloak-disabling Shield.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
simba
Major

Originally posted by Dharkbayne
the best one for infs is the melee booster,since u will be mainly using the knife, sooooo.... bye

teeny weeny text! weeeeee!!!!
yep the melee booster is a must 4 an infiltrator.
Also quite good with advanced targetting? So u can see the enemies health so u know who 2 attack-the low health guys.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ruthless
Sergeant

is he trying to say that a stealther's shield implant goes down faster than a reinforced's shield implant?
Old 2003-04-15, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Dharkbayne
Not true at all. The knife swings very slowly, and contrary to popular belief, with secondary mode on and melee booster activated, the only people you'll be one-shotting are other infiltrators, and probably guys in Standard armor. AMPs kill faster at the same range, and are less risky than knives are, and they don't require an implant slot to reach their full power, so pretty much all infiltrators use AMPs.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
simba
Major

Originally posted by Warborn
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but here goes. When I was testing the shield implant I tried it both while cloaked and when not cloaked. When cloaked, you uncloak and the shield activates. If you re-cloak, shield turns off.

Now, this is unacceptable for the simple fact that you uncloak when you use the shield. I don't know if you're aware of it, but when you attack or hit someone with a gun or knife while cloaked, you do not uncloak. You are uncloaked until you hit K or whatever your Cloak key is set to, or use an implant like the Shield that forces you visible.

So, why not wait until you're being shot to use the shield? For one, you may be killed before you have time to activate the shield. When I was playing an infiltrator, I would always have a Jammer grenade in my hand, ready to throw. The reason being is that if someone has Darklight vision on and they see you, you will be killed before you can draw a grenade and fire it. Let me add emphasis: If they can see you, you die. That's why I consider shield useless. The amoun
It of protection it offers you is neglibile compared to the amount of danger you'll be putting yourself in by uncloaking. One enemy with Darklight is bad enough; giving away your position to every enemy within sight is suicide, and quite honestly, I can think of many far better implants to use to save my tail besides a cloak-disabling Shield.
why would u use shield implant and uncloak when ur not even seen!?
If it doesent take a while 2 activate the shield from when u hitting the button till it activates I cant see how the enemy could beat u into killing u b4 u have the shield on if u do know how 2 hit a button at a keyboard.
It aint that hard.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
simba
Major

Originally posted by Warborn
Not true at all. The knife swings very slowly, and contrary to popular belief, with secondary mode on and melee booster activated, the only people you'll be one-shotting are other infiltrators, and probably guys in Standard armor. AMPs kill faster at the same range, and are less risky than knives are, and they don't require an implant slot to reach their full power, so pretty much all infiltrators use AMPs.
4 now, but that shouldent b it when the game realeses,
spys dont use uzis! (well amp:s looks like a uzi 2 me)
They should b better with the knife instaed when the game hit the shelfs, otherwise it would b stupid.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
simba
Major

Originally posted by Ruthless
is he trying to say that a stealther's shield implant goes down faster than a reinforced's shield implant?
maybe, I dunno
Old 2003-04-15, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by simba
why would u use shield implant and uncloak when ur not even seen!?
Who said I would?

If it doesent take a while 2 activate the shield from when u hitting the button till it activates I cant see how the enemy could beat u into killing u b4 u have the shield on if u do know how 2 hit a button at a keyboard.
It aint that hard.
Maybe, maybe not. If you have your finger ready over the key, sure, you could probably do it. But, who cares? If you reveal yourself by turning on the Shield, you're as good as dead anyway. Which was the entire point you so faithfully missed.
Old 2003-04-15, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by simba
4 now, but that shouldent b it when the game realeses,
spys dont use uzis! (well amp:s looks like a uzi 2 me)
They should b better with the knife instaed when the game hit the shelfs, otherwise it would b stupid.
Nobody has been complaining about it, so I rather doubt it'll change.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion