Resources should be tangible - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is the DUST514 forum, right?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-14, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
nathanebht
Sergeant

Resources should be tangible

Whatever "resources" are provided by a sector are physically present in game as a crates, barrels, shipping containers, etc. Some resources are more dangerous/destructible than others. Resources only turn useful after transport to a manufacturing plant.

Since players have no inventory, these resource storage containers are only transportable by vehicle. Imagine roads frequented by automated transport trucks. Automated air freighters. Storage depots of raw materials waiting for a manufacturing order.

Enemy transport vehicles can be hacked and then driven. You get credit for hijacking an enemy's load and getting it to one of your plants. Destroying enemy resources also earns points.

Tangible resources would enable more to do beyond land capture and defense. If your side has failed massively on an island, those resources can still be creatively acquired.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Re: Resources should be tangible

I disagree. Then people would be forced to defend these lines, and from what i heard so far, would be ALOT of lines, if you have to defend/attack these supply lines it would take away from the main battlefront and focus of the game, capping these territories
Old 2011-07-15, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
I disagree. Then people would be forced to defend these lines, and from what i heard so far, would be ALOT of lines, if you have to defend/attack these supply lines it would take away from the main battlefront and focus of the game, capping these territories
I agree. The game is focused around territorial control to gain resources. Adding another layer to that which involves having to defend your resources would just bog down the game. You'd have to keep defending your resources as they make their way back to their destination. All that would really do is pull people out of the action to do a boring task.

It's a creative idea but I don't think it would be very fun to do all the time.

Although stealing all of an enemies resources does sound really fun.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Gonna throw in another vote for there being too much to defend.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
nathanebht
Sergeant

Didn't want to have a wall of text so I left out some of my idea.

Resource transport vehicles would move kinda slow. A team would usually be needed to successfully steal stuff. Wouldn't take much to stop a lone hacker driving something slow with no weapons. Friendly resources in-transit would show on the map. The moving dot disappears? You got a problem.

Yes, the too much to defend aspect could easily be a problem. The frequency of resources being transported would have to be heavily game tested. Larger more valuable loads versus smaller more frequent. It would be one thing to have a highly valuable resource being transported once a day or week. Entirely another to have some bulky common resource being trundled along the roads constantly in small amounts.

At this point a lot about territory resources are a mystery. We were told they were intangible and given some other hints. Will have to see whats revealed in the future.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
I disagree. There doesnt have to be a lot of lines, just one or two per base going on set routes. While, I dont like the stealing if the resources idea, it would be fun to have some geurilla tactics possible in the game instead of just zerging. It doesnt even have to have an effect right away, and it would add to the tactics of the game.

It would also help slow down the speed of the growth of an empire. I will write something up,for I have an idea.
Old 2011-07-18, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Here is my idea. Rather long and fleshed out though.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36647
Old 2011-07-25, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Considering we have NTU now and that doesn't slow the process very much, I think having deliverable resources might work. Besides there's quite a chance that there will be no NTU anymore, so this might aswell replace it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault