News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf teh trees!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-28, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Doctorcool
Private

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by Doctorcool View Post
What is your opinion on realistic weapon recoil? Something along the lines of planetside, ARMA, Ghost recon. If you can, can you go into detail a bit about how recoil is going to work in planetside 2?
Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
I don't see it!?
It was the last post on the first page.
Old 2012-06-28, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Deckura
Private

Do you think the the game live up to the hype?
Old 2012-06-28, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Pella
Captain

Jimmy,

Is there anything from previous FPS games you see planetside 2 should perhaps implement?
Old 2012-06-28, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Virulence
Sergeant

What do you think are some of the biggest gameplay problems with modern FPS games?
While the union makes us strong.
Old 2012-06-28, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ZaiRoX
Private

Is there any small, but spesific feature that impressed you while playing PS2? Something that hasn't been promoted in trailers/interviews etc?
Old 2012-06-28, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Seeing what you say, and having researched your background, im now convinced that you are propably the best that could have happened to ps2.
Higby, damn good hire.
Just one thing dude: make sure you represent the tr as much as higby and T represent the other two. And grab graywolfes as your support. ;-)
Old 2012-06-28, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Hi Jimmy, two questions:
What are your thoughts on the gun-play and player handling of the Battlefield series? Specifically, the difference between BF2/2142 and BC2/BF3.

I've never been able to really put into words why I find the former generation of Battlefield games more satisfying than the second. Maybe you could help me out there, or maybe you think differently!

Also, what are your thoughts on the recent FPS trend of offering weapon unlocks and upgrades? (i.e. New scopes, rails, foregrips, ammo types etc.) Do you feel they can be successfully balanced in a game like PS2?

Personally, I miss the simplicity of older FPS games where you knew exactly what it was your enemy had equipped, and you were therefore evenly matched.

Thanks for doing this AMA!
Old 2012-06-28, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Hey, Jimmy! It's nice to have you as one of the devs.

Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
I HATE being patted on the back for doing next to nothing in games.

If I choose to run around holding 'w' and 'mouse1' I am rewarded by mowing down an entire army and some ludicrous XP bonus in my face with crazy sounds and praises... Sure you can play that way if you want, and you should be able to kill a few people. HOWEVER, I believe playing a more intelligent way should be more beneficial as an individual player, this includes better bursting, recoil control and movement and rewards situational awareness.
You just won my gamer-heart with this quote, btw.

And my question to you, is:

Do you think PS2 HAVE to strive to get the 'perfect balance' between weapons/vehicles? Where everything is perfect, and nothing is concidered "OP". And if so, is it possible?

Last edited by Winfernal; 2012-06-28 at 03:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-28, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Traenor
Private

Hello Jimmy, and welcome to the forums. Hope you didnt got too many scars from the other thread!

Anyways, here are my questions.
1: Since you were hired to improve gunplay, does it mean that SOE feel they have achieved interesting tactical choices about which areas to attack? (Since this is an MMOFPS, choices regarding focus on areas are more important, since you cant do everything like en classic FPS´s.)
2: Do you feel some specific qualities are missing from PS2 as it is now in regards to gunplay? Specific styles, choices, etc.
3: Now that you will work as a PS2 designer, how do you feel about stopping doing what you currently do? (Cast, play and stuff)
Old 2012-06-28, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
WellWisherELF
Corporal

1.) What are your opinions on weapon times to kill in regards to gameplay? Do you believe that having a higher TTK increases the skill gap? Or the contrary, where having a lower TTK which rewards twitch and low ping?

2.) How do you feel about strafing, or the lack of it, now that we have ADS?

Old 2012-06-28, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
InsaneLampshade
Private

I'm interested to hear your opinion on why you preferred CS 1.6 to source. I imagine you've probably answered this in-depth somewhere in the past, feel free to link to a video/blog post! (I failed at finding one ).

Also, ever play zombie escape in cs?
Old 2012-06-28, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by WellWisherELF View Post
1.) What are your opinions on weapon times to kill in regards to gameplay? Do you believe that having a higher TTK increases the skill gap? Or the contrary, where having a lower TTK which rewards twitch and low ping?

2.) How do you feel about strafing, or the lack of it, now that we have ADS?
First one is a bit leading
Old 2012-06-28, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Whisenhunt, as a CS player, you're probably used to using your weapons with skills, aiming right and shooting quickly but briefly right on target.

So, my question is...

Why the hell are you joining these spray and pray TR scums when you should join the skilled and awesome soldiers of the New Conglomerate?
Old 2012-06-28, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Boxers or briefs?

Sorry, wrong decade.

Since you have experience in both low TTK games with fewer players per map such as CS, as well as high TTK games with more players like in the original Planetside, what is your opinion on what TTK's need to be like to work in Planetside 2? Do you think that anything will have to be sacrificed from the gunplay feeling of 1 vs 1 fights in order to make sure 200 vs 200 fights feel right, or do you think it's a non issue?

Good to have you on board. I look forward to seeing your contributions as the game continues to evolve.
Old 2012-06-28, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Vydofnir
Private

I'm not generally big on online games because I often feel obligated to play a specific way in order to stand even the slightest chance. The commitment to player customization is one of the main reasons I'm excited to play PS2. With regard to weapon customization, sidegrades, certifications, and playstyle, how much freedom do you expect players to ultimately have while remaining at least somewhat competitive?

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions