PSU: Better than all the rest
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-23, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
PaintballerEJG
Private

I believe it..

the 5950 is just a 5900Ultra with more voltage to the gpu and ram. And the 5900Ultra is just a 5900 with 256mb of ram. So basically, the 5950 is just a 5900non-ultra with higher voltages and more ram, and the ram does nothing for performance. If you do the bios mod, then you are running a stock 5950 with 128mb ram. When you OC in addition to the 5950 mod, you are going higher than 5950 speeds

Anyways, the 5950 is very much faster than the 5900s at all, so its up to you if you wanna do the bios mod or not, I just think its cool to see Geforce FX5950 in the display properties. I also gained 50mhz on the clock and ~120mhz on the memory with the new bios, stable. So, I guess its worth the "risk", and the risk isn;t really there if you backup your bios first and don't do something really stupid.
Old 2004-01-25, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I think I have decided, what do you guys think about this one? Anybody have anything to say about it?

It has good reviews and whatnot, so I think I'm gonna go for it, unless there is any reason I shouldn't...
Old 2004-01-25, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

SE? thats the one i'm unsure of, it my not flash. Go for a BFG 5900 nu http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=48&depa=1

many people say these are nice cards

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-25, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr
SE? thats the one i'm unsure of, it my not flash. Go for a BFG 5900 nu http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=48&depa=1

many people say these are nice cards
I read a review that said it would flash, but that it does not do much for it, performance wise. Will probably just buy this card and use as it, no flashing.
Old 2004-01-25, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

flashing doesnt do much though. I dunno its your choice. Flashing can kill your vid card. i endorse the Evga but im sure that BFG is also good. Id make sure it has a 256 bit bus though.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-01-25, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

well its flashing + ocing the flash raises voltages (can even cool the card down a bit) for a more stable overclock(so you overclock it to 5950 speeds), and it makes it just as good as the Top of the line card, it also does stuff with the memory timings

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-30, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
GreyFox
First Sergeant

I got a Radeon 9600XT 256Mb for my new computer (now... if I could just get all the other parts ).

And about this Intel vs AMD bit. The fact that a 2.1 Ghz AMD Athlon can perform as many instructions as a P4 3.0Ghz per second, says quite a bit. :P
Old 2004-01-30, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
556mmJay
Contributor
Private

Thats cool...

For me...... to pewp on.
Old 2004-01-30, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Old 2004-01-30, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by 556mmJay
Thats cool...

For me...... to pewp on.
Who are you? The new tech forum rule is to not post unless its semi constructive, and you know about what we are talking about.

Get out if your gona be an idiot

Originally Posted by GreyFox
I got a Radeon 9600XT 256Mb for my new computer (now... if I could just get all the other parts ).

And about this Intel vs AMD bit. The fact that a 2.1 Ghz AMD Athlon can perform as many instructions as a P4 3.0Ghz per second, says quite a bit. :P
now it doesn't realy. when you start to get to any p4 above 3ghz the p4 starts to take off and its scales far better than the Athlon, i would go with the p4 if its between those speeds (and not 64bit that is)

Old 2004-01-30, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
556mmJay
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by Rbstr
now it doesn't realy. when you start to get to any p4 above 3ghz the p4 starts to take off and its scales far better than the Athlon, i would go with the p4 if its between those speeds (and not 64bit that is)

Care to back up those claims?!?! specs? benchmarks?
Old 2004-01-30, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Ok think of it this way

a 2500+ performs a on par (sometimes a little/faster slower in things) than say a p4 @ 2.4/2.6
but if you take a 3200+ and pit it against a 3.2ghz p4 the p4 wins almost everything hands down

kinda worded it wrong the first time

Old 2004-01-31, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

Basicaly that 2500+ on a AMD is their marketing. But Since AMD is alot more efficient. IE i have a overclocked 2500+ Barton core (to 2.1-2ghz range basically 300-400mhz) and i peform better than a friend who has a P4 2.5ghz

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum