Improvement: Replacing the Jackhammer (with concept art) - NC Gauss Cannon - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-03, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: Replacing the Jackhammer (with concept art) - NC Gauss Cannon

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
What you're thinking of is a PTRD anti tank rifle - which was used in reference to help inspire the first drawing, the Jackhammer was used to inspire the first into the second, so the second type is like a PTRD Jackhammer. I agree with you the bolt action stuff is awesome, but it'd looked REALLY weird or be REALLY slow (I wish), but player dislike it slow, so it has to retain some speed.

The Jackhammer will have to start with a more balanced use to return, PS2 is all about balance, and if it isn't balanced it throws players off. So it'd make more sense for a longer ranged attack than close ranged powerhouse. So, just in way of game design, they almost HAVE to do something like this or else the high power short range will have everyone calling foul for reasons of being too inefficient or too powerful. Thus, a nerf war would begin again, and that didn't end well. If you keep the shot effect as a secondary type to the weapon, it may be easier to deal with and balance.
the bolt actions & the PTRD were/are my absolute favorite weapon in that game ( youtube.com/watch?v=GHW5JIKAMtk ) and now that you mention it I do see the inspiration and love it even more now. I think we're on the same page, and I hope Team Higby is as well

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-06-03 at 04:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Zekeen
Major

What you're wanting is a larger bullet fired less, but remember, Planetside is not about one shot kills, very few 1 shotters exist. Most one shots will be a higher powered sniper rifle shooting an infiltrator or light armor in the head. Everyone else will survive more hits. So, having a bolt action cannon of death just isn't something that would fit in the game (I wish it could though, I wish it could).

The best we can do is an autocannon, slower than a machine gun, faster than a bolt action. Maybe having a more beefy looking reload with a heavy chambering, maybe making the lever for the chambering be the handle. It'd have a nice heavy, hi tech feel to it, even if it was a slow rapid fire.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

I would think firing every second or 1.5 seconds, with 2 shots to kill a rexo (but only just) and probably doing 90% damage to anything lighter. One shot on infils.

Missed shots would increase the TTK by a shitload, but doing so much damage in a single shot means you can exploit the terrain to do maximum damage, with minimum exposure.
You don't have to stand there and hose down someone with bullets to get a kill. Just peep out, shoot, cover, peep out again and finish them.

With good sound effects and that kind of damage, you have a proper NC gun that demands respect and fosters hatred and fear in the elmos and barneys :P
Old 2012-06-03, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
What you're wanting is a larger bullet fired less, but remember, Planetside is not about one shot kills, very few 1 shotters exist. Most one shots will be a higher powered sniper rifle shooting an infiltrator or light armor in the head. Everyone else will survive more hits. So, having a bolt action cannon of death just isn't something that would fit in the game (I wish it could though, I wish it could).

The best we can do is an autocannon, slower than a machine gun, faster than a bolt action. Maybe having a more beefy looking reload with a heavy chambering, maybe making the lever for the chambering be the handle. It'd have a nice heavy, hi tech feel to it, even if it was a slow rapid fire.
I don't expect a 1 shot kill rifle, but a rifle that has a large punch per shot but slow firing, as you suggested.

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-06-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
I don't expect a 1 shot kill rifle, but a rifle that has a large punch per shot but slow firing, as you suggested.
Well, I doubt anyone wants a rushing infantryman such as HA to have such a weapon (as always, I still say it would be cool though), but as I said before, the Bolt Driver will be for NC. The only problem is it seems to no longer be a single shot sniper rifle requiring reload after every shot and giving hell to anyone in its way.

http://www.planetside2.com/news/feb0...ponsboltdriver

It may have a smaller clip heavier hit mod, but I doubt it. It'll still hit hard, even if it's a semi auto clip type gun, but it won't be a cannon type. Really though, my original cannon design would be good for an HA AV weapon, and the second one would be nice for an all purpose autocannon redesign of the Jackhammer. Or so, as the OP and artist, I'd love to think.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault