Improvement: ENGINEER - drones and barricades - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pimp tested. Whore approved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-20, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Toppopia
Major

Re: ENGINEER - drones and barricades

i like the building stuff idea, would be nice to build additional cover, but how easily would it be destroyed? Especially with rocket spam, it can't die too easily or it will be useless, and i guess there is nothing wrong with it being too strong. And the drone ideas sound good, and maybe give the drones an energy limit, so they once out of energy, they stop working and need an engineer to 'repair' them to give them energy again.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by WiFiN View Post
Then piloting a galaxy is also useless as you're bound to steering, can't shoot and destroy those pesky enemy units. Hell, you'd be much more useful with your SMG, spraying bullets all around! Screw galaxies, warfare logistics and support - it makes you useless for a team! /sarcasm

If you've read the whole post of mine you'd notice why controlling a drone is more effective than running with a blowtorch under enemy fire.

That repair drone can also be some kind of "transport support" cert which would have some additional perks.
People fly galaxies because they are transporting troops, because they can spawn troops, and so everyone can get to the objective. They are the vehicular pinnacle of teamwork in Planetside.

Hiding behind a rock controlling a drone turns you into a worthless addition to the team. You can repair a bit, but what happens when the drone is destroyed? Your team has already advanced and you're crouching behind a rock somewhere out of range. Your can't throw down a turret for your team to use, and you can't support the team with your weapon. Pretty much all tank drivers will be engineers anyway, so it's a waste.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
WiFiN
Private

Originally Posted by Zolan View Post
Hiding behind a rock controlling a drone turns you into a worthless addition to the team. You can repair a bit, but what happens when the drone is destroyed? Your team has already advanced and you're crouching behind a rock somewhere out of range. Your can't throw down a turret for your team to use, and you can't support the team with your weapon. Pretty much all tank drivers will be engineers anyway, so it's a waste.
That's it. DRIVERS. They will be busy DRIVING tanks to let gunners shoot the crap out of enemy tanks. Teamplay, remember? Drivers drive, gunners shoot, support units support and fix. Sure, driver can fis his tank in a pinch, but why should he if there are players specializing in that role? On to the next point.

Since you failed to read my post once again, I'll highlight the idea I try to deliver.
But what about repair drone? Say, you are an engineer. There is a lance of tanks heading into battle. Trying to fix them in the middle of action means death. either splash damage or bullets - just the matter of time. But if you're in a sunderer or a lightning and you are certed correctly, you can deploy a repair drone. You can fly it and fix the tanks without even exposing yourself, but you in your sunderer have to be close to the frontline. This solidifies logistics and teamplay as if it will be more handy if someone drives the sunderer for you while you're busy controlling your drone.
  • So we're actually talking about tank formation support, not stationary structures or infantry. You won't be able to even keep up with the tanks on foot, let alone your vulnerability to heavy fire as a soldier.
  • Secondly, the range of your drone is limited, so you'll have to keep up with the lance to provide support.
  • And yeah, even if your drone has been shot down, you're pretty much useful as a sunderer\lightning gunner.

Last edited by WiFiN; 2012-06-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

That's it. DRIVERS. They will be busy DRIVING tanks to let gunners shoot the crap out of enemy tanks. Teamplay, remember? Drivers drive, gunners shoot, support units support and fix.
I read your posts.

Drivers operate the main gun whilst driving, unlike PS1.

They also already have nanite repair abilities for vehicles, which allows tanks to repair over time.

Sure, driver can fis his tank in a pinch, but why should he if there are players specializing in that role?
Because if he fixed it himself (or if the top turret gunner fixed it), those other "support" players could go fix MAX units, throw down some turrets and mines, or choose a non-support class.

Not to mention it's convenient and reliable.

It's just how game-play turns out. There was a reason pretty much every driver/pilot/gunner in PS1 carried a glue gun.

Last edited by Zolan; 2012-06-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-21, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dacrim
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zolan View Post
Outpost constructions - Agreed

Destroyable Barricades - Agreed

Support Drones - Nope
^agreed
Old 2012-08-16, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
TranquilRage
Private

What about a repair drone/turret being a vehicle utility module unlocked by being an engineer. That way being part of an armoured column in your weaker but more utility focused vehicle is beneficial to the squad as a whole.

Deployable resource gathers would be nice if any of the engineers deployables will require resource investments.
Old 2012-08-19, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Archonzero
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TranquilRage View Post
What about a repair drone/turret being a vehicle utility module unlocked by being an engineer. That way being part of an armoured column in your weaker but more utility focused vehicle is beneficial to the squad as a whole.

Deployable resource gathers would be nice if any of the engineers deployables will require resource investments.
+1 to this, an engineer specific vehicle unlock, repair drone (that can be targetable/on a short redeploy timer)
Old 2012-08-23, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

ok so... there will be scouting drones that can unleash a missile strike. This has been confirmed. You will be able to do this from your mobile app via android, iphone, ipad etc... Smedley stated this information in an interview which there is a link in this thread. oh and I forgot to mention your Battle rank must be high enough.

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-08-23 at 08:38 AM.
Old 2012-08-24, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Gugabalog
Major

Remote drones...I haven't seen anythign about that, but I've heard about the orbital strike.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault