Vehicle Surfing - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WE LOVE YOU!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-09-20, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Wrekriem
Private

Re: Vehicle Surfing

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Someone already got a tank into a biolab? Cool, saves me time. The Lib is still on my list of things to get into a biolab though. The auto landing is causing me problems however.

Quick word about if we should be able to do this:

Yes, we should.

Here's the reasoning, in a game where fighting is the norm only the unusual situations will stick out in the memory. I don't remember the 100s of times I've fought over Gunuku but I remember some of the stranger and more intense fights. Getting a prowler into a biolab will be something those guys will reminisce about and if enemies come against it they will remember it too. These unusual behaviors create unique experiences that outshine the moment to moment typical FPS combat that we know so well.

To address gameplay concerns:

It's not OP in the least. In the video you can clearly see the limited mobility inside such a station, any sort of AV would be able to tear it to pieces. There's a reason why being armor in an urban environment is so freaking dangerous. This is a hard to do thing that is easy to counter. If they're camping the pads with tanks then bring in a lib that can drop shells inside (or wait for them to run out of ammo). It's not hard, we are people and we can be clever. Infantry can deal with tanks well enough outside, I see no reason that they couldn't deal with them in a biodome.
This isn't a viable tactic. Believe me, this kind of thing is my bread and freaking butter.

And finally a rant:

Please stop trying to shield parts of the game that players are using in ways that don't conform to the original design. More often than not players have more fun in the subversion of systems than in their adherence to them. The greater ingenuity that players can work on their environment the more they will stop looking upon the game as a game filled with mechanics and more upon it as a form of reality. In the original we had people who reported hallucinations revolving around cloakers, zoom, implants, voice macros, and lag.
To limit players brazenly is to remind them they are in a game.

If there are problems with vehicles then don't make edge cases, change how they interact on a basic level across all vehicles in their collisions. Hold to the natural narrative that is created by the physics engine and do not have ugly edge case solutions that are not echoed across the whole.
Very excellent points. I wholeheartedly agree +1
Old 2012-09-20, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
in a game where fighting is the norm only the unusual situations will stick out in the memory. I don't remember the 100s of times I've fought over Gunuku but I remember some of the stranger and more intense fights. Getting a prowler into a biolab will be something those guys will reminisce about and if enemies come against it they will remember it too. These unusual behaviors create unique experiences that outshine the moment to moment typical FPS combat that we know so well.
Very true, but my only fear is if it becomes the norm. Then instead of being a memorable stunt you'll tell your friends about every time you're out drinking, it'll be just another day of clowns running around throwing pies at everyone's faces until someone snaps and kicks one of them in the nuts.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-20 at 12:24 PM.
Old 2012-09-21, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
wormywyrm
Private

Originally Posted by Wrekriem View Post
Very excellent points. I wholeheartedly agree +1
Wrekriem's rant was excellent! Some of the best parts of video games are the ones that were not originally intended. Like Wrekriem says, that makes these moments unique and memorable. Is it OP? NO! It takes way too long to do and is not beneficial enough to be OP. You know something is OP when you see it being done often and getting tons of kills and people complaining about it.
Old 2012-09-26, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

Even if it were OP, I would love to blow up a plane killing 2 dudes surfing on it. And it would look halarious seeing thier bodies go flying...
Old 2012-10-06, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I endorse removing artificial and imposed restrictions. Make it where people and stuff slide off if they go too fast, or bank too sharply, or factor in weight (a galaxy probably couldn't lift off with a prowler on top) but there is no real reason to prevent it altogether. Games are about using your imagination in creative ways to do things you can't normally.

I suppose if WW2 had been an MMO, the **** would have complained about Jimmy Doolittle's OP and broken use of B-25s launched from carriers... Let the limiting factor be the imagination of the players and what is "physically possible", rather than imposed "game rules".

-edit

Apparently abbreviations are considered swears??? Whatever. Insert "Japanese" in the above, if it wasn't already apparent what I was talking about.
Old 2012-10-06, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well, I guess PS2 is getting more like PS1 after all, you used to be able to ride on vehicles there too lol...

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault