PSU: there is no spoon.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2013-06-12, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
camycamera
Major

PS4 isn't going to have free online

they're going to pull an xbox live, in which in order to play the multiplayer, you must pay a subscription fee like xbox live, called playstation plus. srsly, you give PS3 players the luxury of free online for like 7 years, then you pull this shit? this is probably the only bad news about the PS4.

that is the reason i stay away from consoles, them and their shitty business practices. i'll stick to pc next generation.
Old 2013-06-12, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crator
Major General

Re: PS4 isn't going to have free online

It would make sense if they were hosting something (like a MMO needs servers to host for example). But, what about these free-to-play MMOs now? Why put a pay wall in front of a free-to-play game?

What do the game companies host or provide on these live (online multi-player) accounts that warrants a need to charge for it?
Old 2013-06-12, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Well playstation plus has always been around, it is the same thing as if you were to sub. In PS2. Along with PS2, Elder Scrolls will also be on the PS4 along with the Xbox One, maybe they do in fact need to make it mandatory now that these mmo's are coming to consols.
Old 2013-06-12, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrKwatz
Private

PS+ sub is publisher discretion, PS2 for example will not require any sub costs.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/...player-on-ps4/
Old 2013-06-12, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by MrKwatz View Post
PS+ sub is publisher discretion, PS2 for example will not require any sub costs.

well that is good news. however i can allready tell that future PS4 exclusives with a multiplayer component will require the subscription to play online, lol
Old 2013-06-12, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Having a PS+ sub actually isn't a terrible thing once you see all the neat things it comes with like free games and big discounts.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2013-06-13, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Having a PS+ sub actually isn't a terrible thing once you see all the neat things it comes with like free games and big discounts.
still, i can play online on my pc for free.
Old 2013-06-13, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
still, i can play online on my pc for free.
Not quite. We (pc users) do have to pay for the internet.

Now from what I understand, it's going to cost at least a fiver a month to do anything internet related at all on PS4. So if you even want a game patch, you need the net (unless game makers get it into there thick skulls to release patches from stores for free).

The question is, will a higher cost be needed for longer multiplayer gameplay as it is with the pc? I'm on 40 gig a month myself and that costs 30 quid a month. Playing PS2 for 6 hours seems to use up 100-150mb per hour. If it stays at 150mb per hour, that's 900mb in 6 hours. Which is pretty decent.

I'll say this much. If playing games online for six hours a day becomes as little as a fiver a month, I may as well get a PS4 with a keyboard and mouse. If it wasn't for certain internet things I need and had a little more money then I just might have done that.

That's unlikely to happen though (or if it does, internet providers better bring the cost down on PC by a lOT).
Old 2013-06-13, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by MrKwatz View Post

Ok, sounds like it makes sense as far as F2P games go then. Those publishers requiring the PS Live account access (unless they are utilizing assets required by the PS Live network) are just digging into customer's wallets though. Hopefully it won't be that popular, and F2P shows to be more profitable and those developers will go that route. I suppose F2P wouldn't work for all types of games though, although SOE has proven to do well with it already.
Old 2013-06-14, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Not quite. We (pc users) do have to pay for the internet.

in order to get internet in the first place, console people still have to pay for internet as well.... and pay for live/PS+
Old 2013-06-22, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
omega four
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
they're going to pull an xbox live, in which in order to play the multiplayer, you must pay a subscription fee like xbox live, called playstation plus. srsly, you give PS3 players the luxury of free online for like 7 years, then you pull this shit? this is probably the only bad news about the PS4.

that is the reason i stay away from consoles, them and their shitty business practices. i'll stick to pc next generation.
Personally, I think paying an annual subscription to play games online is a small price to pay for not having to endure patch after patch for PC games.

When my current PC gaming rig is no longer capable of playing the latest PC games at an acceptable level, then I'm completely switching over to console gaming. As a casual gamer, I think console gaming is the best route for me personally.
Old 2013-06-22, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by omega four View Post
Personally, I think paying an annual subscription to play games online is a small price to pay for not having to endure patch after patch for PC games.

When my current PC gaming rig is no longer capable of playing the latest PC games at an acceptable level, then I'm completely switching over to console gaming. As a casual gamer, I think console gaming is the best route for me personally.
patches are good for games, they improve them. consoles have to go through an authentication process before they can get patched.
Old 2013-06-23, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
luvthesnapper
Private

Not all games will require a PS+ account, to play online. One example is planetside 2.....yah fuckin'.....

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion