Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby] - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are quotes supposed to be in the Rejected Column?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should cockpit view be forced?
Yes 287 77.36%
No 84 22.64%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-18, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Hahaha

Thats a funny post. I look forward to farming you in PS2 as well as all the others rambling on and on about forced cockpit and how its going to really hinder things for us pilots. You could make pilots fly using a freaking periscope and its not going to matter for either side. Those that whine about aircav and those that ARE aircav.

Aircav dominates. Ive said this multiple times here and every other game that has it. And its going to dominate regardless of cockpits or not in PS2. Things wont change in PS2 simply because of a fucking cockpit view.
lol exactly nothings going to change, the vehicles, the setting, the game, it simply does not matter, good players will be good anywhere, bad players will always be bad.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-18, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Am I getting this wrong or is elfailo, Zulthus and Skittles aggressively agreeing with eachother?
I just said I think cockpits need to be forced, I don't know where everyone else is coming from

Hahaha

Thats a funny post. I look forward to farming you in PS2 as well as all the others rambling on and on about forced cockpit and how its going to really hinder things for us pilots. You could make pilots fly using a freaking periscope and its not going to matter for either side. Those that whine about aircav and those that ARE aircav.

Aircav dominates. Ive said this multiple times here and every other game that has it. And its going to dominate regardless of cockpits or not in PS2. Things wont change in PS2 simply because of a fucking cockpit view.

I didn't say anything about "really hindering pilots", I said it would make it slightly more difficult to farm infantry compared to a hovering flying camera with an unrealistic view in PS1. I fly aircav quite a bit. It's cheap. But, since you know exactly how the cockpits are going to work... I'll just leave you to your opinion
Old 2012-04-18, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
Stardouser
Colonel

I don't think some people get the whole story here. The true overpowering doesn't have anything to do with cockpit view. That comes from things like everyone in line of sight of a teammate showing on minimap and aircraft being able to see it...as well as other things of that nature.

The unfairness of not forcing cockpit view has more to do with one pilot compared to another, not pilots compared to infantry. One pilot wants to use the cockpit view but another one doesn't care and uses the no-cockpit view for a slight advantage. I am not necessarily talking about dogfighting, so don't make that assumption either. Overall, I mean.

The fact that people even think this issue has more to do with power against infantry than it does means we've got some air whores afraid their infantry culling ability is going to be curtailed. As it happens, infantry culling ability needs to be very much curtailed and that has nothing to do with cockpit views.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-18 at 06:57 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This isn't going to go anywhere without understanding of developer design intent and goals.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Glad it's forced.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
Xyntech
Brigadier General

One thing this makes me wonder is if we will see something similar with anything other than vehicles. Like will the screen look different when we are inside of a MAX suit, or any armor for that matter.

Also, have we heard whether we will see our own legs when infantry look downward?
Old 2012-04-18, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

It should be noted that forced can lead to an imbalance regarding visibility if window coverage varies from faction to faction.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Its already been noted and I'm sure we're all going to make big long threads about how one faction's cockpit is more advantageous than another. My bet is that VS will have a cockpit with almost no obstructions and it'll be the focus of attention.
Old 2012-04-18, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I pointed out it was a really bad design and wouldn't care so much if it were less restrictive in my very first post in this thread.
Right, but rather than vowing to convince the devs to fix the design you insist that it has to be removable. Which is an issue, because --V

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
If it didn't block so much, I wouldn't mind having it, and you wouldn't feel disadvantaged leaving it on if there were a toggle.
I would feel less disadvantaged, but that's a critical difference. Any given person has that competitive spirit. Any sensible person realizes that "doing your best" means "taking every advantage you can get, regardless of how small it may be". The combination of those two things can and does shoehorn people into cannibalizing their own enjoyment for a slight competitive advantage (see the grass) by making them feel obligated to "do their best" for the sake of their teammates, themselves, and even their enemies. That competitive spirit can be toxic sometimes. If you've any doubt of that just have a look at the elitist vitriol in some of your "allies'" posts in this thread.

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Am I getting this wrong or is elfailo, Zulthus and Skittles aggressively agreeing with eachother?
I'd say failo and Skittles are clinging to whatever validation they can find. Are you sure you don't mean Sky rather than Zulthus?
Old 2012-04-18, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Its already been noted and I'm sure we're all going to make big long threads about how one faction's cockpit is more advantageous than another. My bet is that VS will have a cockpit with almost no obstructions and it'll be the focus of attention.
That is what I expect.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-18, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
Bravix
Sergeant Major

I'm a pilot in real life, and enjoy having my cockpit view up when flying in games. Sucks when there's the option to remove it since it puts me at a disadvantage.
Old 2012-04-18, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
You think you're being clever but you're not.

'It doesn't matter, so let's make it illegal.' If it doesn't matter, then why the need to force? Maybe you should go into politics.

On top of that you didn't understand the rest of my post either. You have an extremely narrow understanding of why infantry farming happened in Planetside 1 and you think you're going to help solving it by forcing obstructions in the field of view. It's delusional and all you're doing is proving my point about grudges.

Allow it all, with mouse-look in cockpit view (WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO SEE EVEN MORE INFANTRY AND IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED BY HIGBY), and everyone gets what they want.
Glad you're not making the game . It's forced, and that's likely not going to change. As it shouldn't.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
Raymac
Brigadier General

I always toggle off the cockpit view. I've always been a function over form person and I don't want any obstructions in my view.

Having said that, I actually wouldn't mind at all if that is not an option in PS2. The cockpit looks sweet and it makes it feel like you are not just a flying camera like in PS1.

I don't know about the bright red block in the middle of the view. It doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose. Other than that, keep it.

Old 2012-04-18, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
It's quite pathetic how you think you can discredit my reasoning, which you clearly can't counter, by trying to frustrate me with disingenuous smileys. What's more revealing is how you seem to take pleasure in seeing other people not get what they want even if by your own admission it wouldn't make any difference. Do you do this in real life too?

Once again, you think you're being clever, but you're not.

Everything can change. The view is already in the game, all they need to do is build in a toggle. It's the best way, despite the outcome of the poll.
The cockpit view must be forced or it must not be there at all. Otherwise it's a waste of resources since most will turn it off anyway. What makes it worse is that they'd have a visual advantage over the people who do decide to use the cockpit aesthetic. Smed already told us that flying in PS2 will separate the men from the boys. If you want to be a boy, that's fine. Flying should be difficult and you shouldn't be able to see everything without restriction. Otherwise they might as well put in a gun toggle too. That gets in the way on the screen.

I do find it laughable that you assume I find pleasure in having people not get what they want. If that's not grasping at straws, I don't know what is. I have already said why cockpit needs to either be forced or not there at all. If they didn't have a cockpit at all then I'd be just dandy with a HUD and you'd be happy too. There are plenty of things that I want in the game that aren't going to be in and I deal with it. Namely enter/exit animations, vehicle jacking, buggies, freeform classes, and looting. But anyway. You seem quite hostile. There are quite a few new people coming in that can take these forums so personally.
Old 2012-04-18, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Hahaha

Wow... I mean that in many ways too...

Aircav doesn't dominate, for one thing. It pretty much runs on the same opportunistic scavenger work as any other play style in this or any other game. What makes it more effective is speed and maneuverability, that's it. You aren't "|337" because you know how to work a mouse and shoot rockets at grunts. Literally anyone can jump into any aircrav and do the same thing. Even the people that whine about it do so because that's just what they do, whine about EVERYTHING that kills them. It's not like your special because you purposely choose a play style that others whine about.

Will the cockpit view hinder us? Probably not. Could it be potentially annoying? Yes. Should it be forced? Yes, if only to maintain the same playing field for everyone. I'd say the same thing about grass and other graphics, largely because you can't turn them off in RL, just like you can't make your entire cockpit invisible in RL. No the cockpit won't improve your performance, but not everything about the game is specifically designed to improve your performance. And if you had any degree of confidence in yourself at all, you wouldn't care anyway.

If it's forced, shut up and deal or don't play. If you're on the ground and someone in an aircav flys by and kills you, shut up and deal or don't play.

Personally, I'm a realist. I'd be all for it if my view came from within a helmet in the cockpit, and tight turns caused me to black or red out depending on the G's. The harder (and more realistic) this crap gets, the better in my opinion. I know these things won't be in the game, but it would be cool if they were.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-18 at 06:09 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion