News: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We're not laughing with you, we're laughing AT you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-27, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Re: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Okay, well I think i'm speaking for everyone when I say: SCREENSHOTS PLS and/or a video of the new layout ASAP. Preferably 10 minutes of browsing the site with the new layout...

Maybe a twitter Q&A about the new layout?

NEED UPDATES!
Soon™

When we are happy with the site it will be released.

Release date has been pushed back 8 more months.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2011-09-27, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I'm thinking this confirms what I was asking for in my "empire specific versions of common pool vehicles" thread in the idea section. Way too cool, and I can't wait to compare all the planes!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This article gives me another set of questions...

Mosquito and Liberator are both Common Pool, so they should have Nanite Systems art, right?

How does common pool interact with faction style? Does a common Pool NC liberator have some square shapes and doodads added on that make it seem NC-ish?

Does a TR/VS Liberator look fundamentally different or are we seeing Common Pool style with an NC paint job and they will all look like that with different colors?

Edit: Also, the Liberator looks like it could be a repurposed FedEx freight plane.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-09-27 at 04:09 PM.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Soon™

When we are happy with the site it will be released.

Release date has been pushed back 8 more months.
No, no, guys! Challenge the PS2 devs to a race!!!
Old 2011-09-27, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Does a TR/VS Liberator look fundamentally different or are we seeing Common Pool style with an NC paint job and they will all look like that with different colors?
I that perhaps there might be empire variants on each of the flight vehicles, which would be pretty amazing. So for instance while that is the TS mosquito, the NC mosquito might look along the lines of the low polygon, boxy, ones we have currently in Planetside. While the VS will be mistaken for Cylon raiders...

Lets face it I doubt that liberator will be used by the TR or VS, they'd be affronted by it's boxy scrap-like build quality. I think we'll end up seeing empire variants of those craft. I think he was hinting at that.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
etheral
Corporal

hmmm, the more I look at the new mag, the more I think that it could be a combination of MBT and fightercraft.

its not going to happen, but it would be absolutely hilarious
Old 2011-09-27, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Wanting VS to have fastest fighter with best turning, NC to have highest damaging missiles and TR to have 3 20mm chainguns(or one that fires ridiculously fast for high damage)
Old 2011-09-27, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
kaffis
Contributor
Major

"NC armor will be chipped, dented and dinged but never compromised. The weapons and vehicles are worn but well maintained"

New Conglomerate: Even our vehicles are grizzled, battle-hardened veterans.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

It's also interesting to note that each of the empire's logos are designed to contrast directly with their own design aesthetics. Never noticed that before.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
Lets face it I doubt that liberator will be used by the TR or VS, they'd be affronted by it's boxy scrap-like build quality. I think we'll end up seeing empire variants of those craft. I think he was hinting at that.
Right, but then what's the point of styling the common pool weapons and vehicles with Nanite Systems if they have empire-specific versions? Both the mossie and the lib are common pool...at least in PS1.

I think only T-Ray can answer with certainty how empire theming and common pool interact. We're just guessing.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Well, to be fair, the logos are pre-existing, the design aesthetics not so much. At least, not as clearly laid out and associated with shapes the way T-Ray talks about.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Nice article.

I'm not sure though I like the direction the NC is heading visual wise. I didn't expect them to be on a lower technology level than the TR either. (Where did the TR get the newer equipment from anyway with the wormwhole beeing closed and all that ?) The NC MAX looks terrible in my eyes and I hope the other empire specific stuff won't be anything like that.

The Liberator doesn't look that good either I think. The pilot's cockpit and the plane's nose look odd (also too small and thin in comparison to the rest) and especially the bottom of the plane is weird. It's also too high in my opinion.

So far I prefer the style of PS1's vehicles and aircrafts.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
Nice article.

I'm not sure though I like the direction the NC is heading visual wise. I didn't expect them to be on a lower technology level than the TR either. (Where did the TR get the newer equipment from anyway with the wormwhole beeing closed and all that ?) The NC MAX looks terrible in my eyes and I hope the other empire specific stuff won't be anything like that.

The Liberator doesn't look that good either I think. The pilot's cockpit and the plane's nose look odd (also too small and thin in comparison to the rest) and especially the bottom of the plane is weird. It's also too high in my opinion.

So far I prefer the style of PS1's vehicles and aircrafts.
It's not that the NC has lower tech. It's that they don't have big factories cranking advanced stuff out. They make due with what they can build using modular manufacturing equipment that can be packed up and moved around, guerilla-style. They also place a premium on field maintenance, since they don't have the static supply lines to just ship in a new unit when something breaks.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
It's not that the NC has lower tech. It's that they don't have big factories cranking advanced stuff out. They make due with what they can build using modular manufacturing equipment that can be packed up and moved around, guerilla-style. They also place a premium on field maintenance, since they don't have the static supply lines to just ship in a new unit when something breaks.
Plus, it's not like the NC downloaded all the TR's design schematics before they left or anything, so the vehicles they use are probably from scratch by people who have minimal/no training and a greater concern with fighting for their lives than with design aesthetics. Can't blame them for being utilitarian.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Exactly. Now, that said, I'm sure some engineers and techs and whatnot defected along with fighters, so it's not like NC doesn't have anybody with design experience. But the designers they do have will be cognizant of all those factors when adapting or designing new things from scratch. Factors the TR didn't really have to worry about.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion