News: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Accepted everywhere you want to be.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

Re: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More.

All these ideas sound amazing !

I just hope that their actual implementation does not diminish the "soul" of PS. If the main game can retain it's focus, all these enhancements and "side shows" will only make the main game richer and deeper. And that is never a bad thing in any game imho.
Old 2012-08-11, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Levente
First Sergeant

amazing. love it. holy shit. yeah. omg and how about making the animations and sounds awesome to like in bf3, and we are all set
Old 2012-08-11, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
HorizonBound
Private

First and foremost, In my opinion (IMO), should be Player-owned continents. This seems like the best idea, and perhaps the eSports thing could use this.
2 outfits-one lsland-time limit. Each team starts with a primary base that everyone spawns at, and the end goal would be to detonate the enemy bases' core. This may be the way
ps2 can have an MLG section

Harvestable resources coud work really well with the 'watercraft expansion' having battleships and the like cost a lot of resources. Giant ships like these should be outfit-only though, with the ability to target in-land targets. Amphibious assault craft (mini carriers) could work similarly, but could allow for transport between continents without them de-spawning. Smaller but faster patrol boats could work as 'water tanks' allowing for effective anti-capital ship raids from land.
Naturally, all the spawning and building of ships shold come with ports on continents which can resupply ships and provide the only spot where you can spawn any kind of ship. There should also be Shipyards on home continents where outfits can build capital ships. The comissioning of each ship should take about a day (in real-time) and the larger, more powerful the ship, the longer the build time.

Anyway, i'm rambling. All of these ideas sound great (except for the AI armies), an i'd love to see them implemented into the full game.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Taru
Corporal

I think these are great ideas. I'm all for new ideas that will keep the game fresh, which in turn will hopefully keep the population high. A couple of those ideas sound like a support player's dream.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the sound of almost all of it till he said NPC Invasions. Please do not do that. I personally want pure pvp where the opponent is actually a challenge. Shooting at AI is just meh.

Old 2012-08-11, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

I want seamless travel between continents and naval warfare asap. Then you can have it so empires can lock down an entire continent. Imagine one faction preparing a huge invasion force with naval bombardment, beach landings and galaxy drops.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Great stuff, but I have my doubts on how much of it will become reality for a F2P. It also sounds like they have a number of things planned that might not be taken into account right now. New continents and expanded server sizes should be the highest priority though. 6k players per server is very small and I'm worried about messy server merges.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warruz
Sergeant

Re: So yep. Esports official. SOE's putting big money into it.

I think people might be jumping the gun, most sports that take off have a theme to them in that the teams are not huge. For planetside to make it into e-sports we would have to see something aking to battle islands where the fighting is smaller scale as having an esport that requires 100 people of waring factions isnt going to leave much room in a building.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
I think people might be jumping the gun, most sports that take off have a theme to them in that the teams are not huge. For planetside to make it into e-sports we would have to see something aking to battle islands where the fighting is smaller scale as having an esport that requires 100 people of waring factions isnt going to leave much room in a building.
What if you set it up so that people could watch what's going on in the game?

"Welcome back to Auraxis ladies and gentlemen, let's see how the empires are progressing today. Looks like the TR are trying to take Zurvan back, let's go in for a closer look."
Old 2012-08-11, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm going to post targeted feedback threads on all the future plans he noted.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-11, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I'm curious about them seamlessly connecting continents on a world with oceans.

I don't care much for the PvE elements. He might not want to call it that but that's what it is, even if integrated with the rest of the PvP world. Absolutely don't want waves of AI attacking like in a MOBA. An every man for themselves invasion type deal could be acceptable on rare occasions but going beyond that would just be taking novelty/gimick too far.
I also don´t like the whole PvE Thingy.
If it happens too often it kills the gameflow and if it´s just once a week/month
the time and money they invested in it isa not worth it. IMHO.

Rest is really awesome. I like the rest of the ideas very much.
Just a Mac-Version is not needed.

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-08-11, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

So much win in this

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

No. Noone would want to do it. It would just turn into grinding. Unless you found a really ingenious way to have AI vehicles harvest, then form a convoy to transport it, without glitching up or acting dumb, it wouldn't work.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

Again, No. Would take away from the experience and get people too far away from the action.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

Great. More guns and vehicles are always good. Faction specific light tanks, transport aircraft, and ground transports should be first. (aka replace the lightning, sunderer, and galaxy)

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

Yes, if done right

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

Again, if you do it right. Big risk though

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

Doesn't really make much of a difference

8) Weather

This is so great it should be number one on this list

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

Obviously, yes.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
Did you even read it? RTS elements in my opinion would be amazing.

Anyway, before people cry in the future and claim promises weren't kept - I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas
I think the biggest issue for SOE in this project (and in EQN) is that they won't have a third party pulling in the reigns and pushing them to knuckle down on some specific concepts. If they aren't careful, they can get carried away chasing all the cool ideas and never accomplish any of them, because the game has so much potential in so many areas. However, when I look at all the hard work and genuine progress the Everquest II team has made, when it comes to adding new game play systems and content, it's easy to see that the management at SOE is able to focus the company's efforts.

I'd like to see the RTS aspect, it's something that I was always dumbfounded that Blizzard totally missed out on with World of Warcraft. Having an active world to defend, capture, repair, build is so much more personal and rewarding than simply blowing up enemies and owning bases. This is the kind of "community building game play" that will keep people interested in the game in the long term. I know that if I spent my resources sending out a team of miners to get more resources, I'd make for damned sure they were heavily guarded!

I'm not so keen on the Rift NPC thing though. I don't think it is a good idea to encourage the factions to place nice and unite against a greater evil, especially if doing so grants great rewards. And if fighting the NPCs did not grant great rewards, they'd be considered no more than a nuisance. This is a tough one to justify.

The seamless planet is a must, really. Anything less is just more of the same and it's been done already any way. I expected it for Planetside 2 and EQN and if it's "hard", well, you should have bought Infinity. It's not like they couldn't use the funding...

I am on board for everything except the E-Sport thing though, because I can't help but feel that's nothing more than dollars and man hours thrown at a niche of the gaming world that majority of gamers couldn't really give a shit about. It makes me sad that time will be taken away from actual Planetside 2 game development for this. If SOE wants to sub contract a marketing company to handle E-Sports, that's fine, because they would have to meet their metrics and make it work within the frame work of the game itself. But spending man hours on it, for the five or six new players it might bring to the game, it's a complete waste.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-08-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

Re: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion)

I can see how some alien invasion events would be awesome. Maybe the 3 factions have to pull together to beat back the alien horde.

But i am sure it would be an event type thing. They have been doing stuff like that a lot lately on other games.

I am sure that it would also involve capturing of alien tech that is now yours and other cool stuff like that.

I mean really think about it, we have a huge battle going on at Zurvan and all of a sudden this huge ships come down and hordes of NPC aliens drop out of the ships and start tearing everything up. I can't see how this would be a bad thing.

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-08-11, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Re: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion)

Bring in the Vanu Aliens. Have them support, us, the Vanu!

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
I can see how some alien invasion events would be awesome. Maybe the 3 factions have to pull together to beat back the alien horde.

But i am sure it would be an event type thing. They have been doing stuff like that a lot lately on other games.

I am sure that it would also involve capturing of alien tech that is now yours and other cool stuff like that.

I mean really think about it, we have a huge battle going on at Zurvan and all of a sudden this huge ships come down and hordes of NPC aliens drop out of the ships and start tearing everything up. I can't see how this would be a bad thing.
The Vanu could have different factions fighting for or against our human factions, perhaps?

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2012-08-11 at 12:52 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion