Anyone with a celron 2.4. Rbstr? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma's easy to get along with.......once you learn to worship him.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-17, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Anyone with a celron 2.4. Rbstr?

anyone have any idea how to get the temp sense on the 2.4 celron while using the stock heatsink?

Or should i just get that 34 dollar Zalmans one.

opinions.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 2004-03-19, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Rbstr is on vacation lol. He'll be back Sunday. Uhm, I have a temp sensor on my CPU (its connected to a backlit LCD display on my case), and all I can say is you can't really put it directly on the CPU die. I taped my sensor to the heat sink right next to the CPU, and thus it usually displays a temp about 10 C cooler than the CPU actually is. I just look at the display and add 10 degrees. Maybe some day I'll figure out a better way...

edit: then again, I'm running an AMD 64 3200+, so I really don't know if you could somehow do it with a Celeron...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 2004-03-21, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Well my mobo has temp monitoring built in to the Mobo i just have to install this software Called Asus PC probe that lets me view it.

I know mine normaly runs a 25-32 degrees C. But it don't tanke temps higher than that very well.

Why would you be buying a 2.4 Cel, have my rantings about how much it sucks not sunk in?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-22, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Wow Rbstr... my AMD is getting warm when it hits 50 degrees C...

Weakass Intels...

Nah I realize AMDs run significantly warmer in general than Intels.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get my temperature diode onto the CPU die without damaging anything... my mobo has an onboard temp sensor too, but I want to see the temp on my LCD display... any ideas? I was thinking about actually putting it UNDER the CPU somehow...

::Electro puzzles away::

Old 2004-03-22, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Nah its just the P4 reject i have, real northwoods and Presscots especialy get much hotter.

You have an AMD 64 corect then it has an Integrated Heat speader and you realy can't put the scensor in between that and the HS, but you can put it up right next to it and get some thermal epoxy or somthing to stick it there

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-22, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Yeah I was kinda thinking of doing something like that. Last time I took out my processor tho I dropped it (I know, I was being careless, went to pop it out into my hand, and kinda-sorta dropped it) and a few of the pins got bent. I managed to get them unbent (for the most part) but I swore not to remove my CPU again unless it was necessary...

So most likely I will just stick the sensor right up longside the side of the die, and stick it in place somehow. I don't want to use anything TOO permanent to hold it there, but I also need to use something that won't get nasty if it warms up too much. Never used thermal epoxy, but when I hear "epoxy" i think "mega-permanent" so I dunno if thats what I want to use...

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-22 at 02:02 PM.
Old 2004-03-23, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Yes i know it sucks but its a temp processor. Remember! i bought the round Zalmans heastsink fan for it. So it will leave more room. i just need to buy some cheap heat spreader so i can oc the ram more. How much can you normally oc 2100 before heating is an issue without any cooling. Will a fan blowing on them be fine?

I wanted to hook up the heat censor for the cpu out to test that cooldrive thing i bought. But the damn stock heatsink is takes up all the space so i cant see how to get the temp sensor in withough it toucing constantly. Do you think it wont melt it?
Old 2004-03-23, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

the temp seonsor can't be between the CPU and the HS at all, if it is that is bad as it can Overheat your CPU do to bad contact and Kill the scensor because of the pressure exerted by the HS. it need to be next to the CPU on the HS only. my Stock had pleanty of room

Old 2004-03-25, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

yeah im not plannin on puttin the sensor between the HS and the CPU, but maybe up against the side of the die if I can fit it there.

Ait'al, I've got some PC2100 RAM OCed to PC2700, with original timings! I don't even have heatspreaders and it runs fine...

Old 2004-04-03, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

wow electro! thats so amazing mebe ill do a lil ***. Mem heatsinks arent bad. mine were $20 and they are mostly asthetic.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-04-03, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

lol, the funny thing is that its some 2 or so year old generic RAM. When I OCed it, I didn't expect it to actually work, and run at PC2700. Then when I tighted the timings back down to SPD (they loosened up when I overclocked it up to PC2700) I just did it for kicks, and to my surprise, they stuck, and it boots and runs great. Sometimes you get lucky!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum