Vehicle Seats Question - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: my last quote what should I put?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-06, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
BREWKO
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Vehicle question

Originally Posted by stonelizard View Post
Are vehicles in ps2 still locked to position (driver can't change to gunner and vice versa) or is it like BF3?
You can switch seats using the Function Keys, though some vehicles/seats may have certain restrictions on them.
Old 2012-04-06, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Interesting new info. Thanks Brewko!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-06, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Well as long as you cant switch between gunners seats I think this could be fine. But allowing drivers and gunners switch seats puts single crew vehicles at a bit of a disadvantage in terms of fire power and on-the-spot versatility.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-04-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BREWKO View Post
You can switch seats using the Function Keys, though some vehicles/seats may have certain restrictions on them.
we need a dislike button

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-04-06, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Re: Vehicle Seats Question

magical instant switching, just what we need, a step backwards with lazy and cheap game design that just promotes boring, lame, and just plain bad gameplay.

So no longer can anyone say "oh well that solo tank cant defend against air craft so thats the downside of not gettin another gunner" you can magically instantly switch, blow up the air and then magically switch back in an instant and continue on your way. Seriously i thought they were bringing the game up to modern standards, but sounds more like they are taking several steps backwards and goin down to the low standards of these boring and simplistic ADHD yearly shooter games.

WTB beta fast so we can get this shyt fixed before they build all the other systems around these clearly terrible mechanics.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stardouser
Colonel

I don't see this as a big issue, but that's probably because as a BF player I'm accustomed to it. I concede that this may be an issue in ways I can't know right now. But with that said, I don't think you can operate a vehicle at "maximum" effectiveness alone. You can't drive while you're firing, since switching to gunner seat will stop the vehicle's movement. Actually, there could also be a tactical issue here. If, for example, a tank has a gunner and the driver can't fire the guns, INVADING tanks would be very ineffective, because as part of an offensive action, you need to constantly be moving up. However, as part of a defensive action, tanks are more likely to be OK with staying in one spot and waiting for the enemy. In a defensive situation, instead of 40 people fully crewing 20 tanks, you might want 40 people one-manning 40 tanks.

The real question is, what would you guys rather have? More 1 player vehicles in which the driver does everything? Or the ability switch positions?

There's another thing that interests me with regard to this. I think we need to allow squad spawning into vehicles. That way you can requisition your vehicle and your crewmates can spawn in with you en route.

I also again wonder if you can spawn in a location without traveling there first. IE, can I log on, join your squad, then immediately respawn on you to be your crewmate without traveling to you first? I think you should, personally.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

Will the driver of a tank be able to hand control of the guns to there passanger(s)?

Old 2012-04-06, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Zenben
Master Sergeant

In BF3, I get in a plane and ram people on my team who take the helicopter and then seat switch for the TV missile. I don't think I have to say much else about what I think of this idea.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

It all depends on your view point I suppose. I personally believe that allowing one man access to the weaponry and firing arcs of how ever many people are in his vehicle on demand is a little to much seeing as the only trade off is he must remain stationary for as long as it takes for him to aim and shoot. Although I would find it funny to see the pilot of a multi-crew aircraft crash into the ground trying to man all the guns and fly at the same time.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
In BF3, I get in a plane and ram people on my team who take the helicopter and then seat switch for the TV missile. I don't think I have to say much else about what I think of this idea.
Well, there are two aspects to this. One, of course, is, is it right for people to be able to do this? In a ground vehicle yes, you ought to be able to switch. But in an air vehicle I think it shouldn't be that way, there should be a 5 second delay before the other seat's gun becomes active so that you can't seat switch effectively.

The other aspect is this: In BF3, you only have 1 or 2 choppers per team. It's understandble that someone soloing in a chopper deserves to be teamkilled. But in Planetside, there are an unlimited number of vehicles so long as you are certified to use them.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
There's another thing that interests me with regard to this. I think we need to allow squad spawning into vehicles. That way you can requisition your vehicle and your crewmates can spawn in with you en route.

I also again wonder if you can spawn in a location without traveling there first. IE, can I log on, join your squad, then immediately respawn on you to be your crewmate without traveling to you first? I think you should, personally.
Whats the point of a gal then? I dont want people just flooding out of a sundy because the driver is parked outside the gate and just spawning his squad over and over. And the respawn on squad mechanic is already like the HART, its there, but I think its a cert or skill tree thing for Squad leaders, I hope...

OT, it would be ok if you could switch seats without having to get out of the vehicle, but put a timer or something on it. I can imagine someone crawling over their seat to get to a gun which would take 3-4 seconds maybe, but instantly teleporting to a gunner position is not how it should work.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Whats the point of a gal then? I dont want people just flooding out of a sundy because the driver is parked outside the gate and just spawning his squad over and over. And the respawn on squad mechanic is already like the HART, its there, but I think its a cert or skill tree thing for Squad leaders, I hope...

OT, it would be ok if you could switch seats without having to get out of the vehicle, but put a timer or something on it. I can imagine someone crawling over their seat to get to a gun which would take 3-4 seconds maybe, but instantly teleporting to a gunner position is not how it should work.
Galaxies would act as spawn points for the entire empire. Allowing squad spawning into the vehicle you are driving only affects 10 people at one time. Besides, let's say we're talking about a 2 person tank or a 3 person bomber. Are they going to spend all their time landed on the ground so that even squad members can use it as a respawn? Maybe for special operations raids, but in most combats they wouldn't because then they'd get blown up for being landed and unable to avoid fire.
Old 2012-04-06, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
bullet
First Sergeant

Galaxies would act as spawn points for the entire empire. Allowing squad spawning into the vehicle you are driving only affects 10 people at one time. Besides, let's say we're talking about a 2 person tank or a 3 person bomber. Are they going to spend all their time landed on the ground so that even squad members can use it as a respawn? Maybe for special operations raids, but in most combats they wouldn't because then they'd get blown up for being landed and unable to avoid fire.
Well assuming they can be "en route" to a base then they dont have to be parked or landed, they can hot drop out. That aside, I still think its a bad mechanic. If you're out of your vehicle repairing it and a cloaker comes up and succesfully ganks one of you, "Oh darn, guess I'll just spawn back inside and we're good to go".

People should have to spawn at designated points: towers, glas, and bases and not magically appear in a vehicle. Maybe implement a side grade or something if you feel you cant wait for someone to get in your gun while at a base.
Old 2012-04-06, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Well assuming they can be "en route" to a base then they dont have to be parked or landed, they can hot drop out. That aside, I still think its a bad mechanic. If you're out of your vehicle repairing it and a cloaker comes up and succesfully ganks one of you, "Oh darn, guess I'll just spawn back inside and we're good to go".

People should have to spawn at designated points: towers, glas, and bases and not magically appear in a vehicle. Maybe implement a side grade or something if you feel you cant wait for someone to get in your gun while at a base.
Well, I'm not a fan of being able to hop out and repair; I would rather that you had to return to a repair pad. Which by the way could be another function of Forward Bases.

But if you are able to jump out of a vehicle and repair, then yes, absolutely, you should be able to respawn inside if someone ganks you. Unfortunately, forcing the pilot to continue without a gunner creates more problems than it solves and this also isn't a realism sim.
Old 2012-04-06, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
bullet
First Sergeant

Well, I'm not a fan of being able to hop out and repair; I would rather that you had to return to a repair pad. Which by the way could be another function of Forward Bases.

But if you are able to jump out of a vehicle and repair, then yes, absolutely, you should be able to respawn inside if someone ganks you. Unfortunately, forcing the pilot to continue without a gunner creates more problems than it solves and this also isn't a realism sim.
Really? Come on, why make an engineer class then?

I'm not asking for a realism sim, I even gave an option to allow vehicle spawning. I just dont want mechanics where the battlefield is nothing but people appearing out of eachothers asses because then the fights go no where.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion