Is there any point to outfits having a 'focus'? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are you my daddy?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-10-06, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Yenni
Corporal

Is there any point to outfits having a 'focus'?

I see in almost every outfit post they talk about their 'focus'

Be it, "Air calvery", "Specops", "Line infantry" Etc.

Here's the thing though, except for very few occassions across multiple games, I've never seen an outfit actually specialize in their said 'specialty'

I don't doubt their beginning motivation to make some kick ass black ops, back hacking squad. But I've never seen it happen. The squad or platoon may end up grabbing a couple gals or sunderers and heading towards the closest bright spot on the map.

Case in point, I don't believe that specializing is the most effecient way to play if your talking about complicated outfit ops. With the ability of every player to be drive a gal or tank at a whim.

Specialization is needed in the real military because of the years of training required to fly planes, drive tanks, be a sniper etc.

unless I'm just completely wrong, which could be very possible.
Old 2012-10-06, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aldman
Second Lieutenant

Re: Is there any point to outfits having a 'focus'?

Specialization in Planetside focuses leaders and outfit members on getting very good at what they do. Example: I'm in Sturmgrenadier, and our 'focus' is combined arms operations. Here is 5 hours of video of us doing combined arms -
http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/334561448

The video is from Luperza's perspective running with one of our infantry squads. When they need air or armor support, they call it in and Overall moves assets around. That's what we 'focus' on doing; combined arms. I think there are a lot more outfits that specialize in their focus than you realize. The Enclave has a heavy infantry focus, and runs mostly heavy infantry. There are plenty of outfits with armor focus who run mostly armor.

I agree to some extent that there are probably too many "black ops" outfits that are just loaded up with people who only want to play sniper and have a very limited impact outside of annoying the rest of us. That's not really what special forces do, but whatever makes people happy, right? After all, it's just a game.
Old 2012-10-07, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Traak
Colonel

How about "shut up and play" no-TS-required style. That would rock.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

How about if you don't have anything to add you don't post.. novel concept Traak. It's well known you want nothing to do with the social aspect of MMOs.

I think outfits having a focus makes them better. I think it's a very important part of having an Outfit in PlanetSide, all the most successful outfits focus on something and doing it well.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions