Premium - Single or subscription fee? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your bases are belong to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you pay monthly for premium membership?
Yep 62 39.74%
Nay 33 21.15%
Depends on the cost 61 39.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-29, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Prexun
Private

Premium - Single or subscription fee?

I'll make it short - Is the premium membership going to have a subscription fee or just a single payment? I've listened to all livestreams and videos there are so far and they've mentioned it multiple times but they've never clarified the payment(s)..

Personally I'd pay the single fee, but not a subscription. Would you?
Old 2012-06-29, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

Re: Premium - Single or subscription fee?

Lifetime membership option would be nice, but I will probably just pay a monthly sub unless the rewards are pretty awesome on the lifetime option.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
UnDeAdKiTtY
Corporal

I would, and please before you post please read and look for posts already made about this subject.

Its experience and resource boosters like LoL.

They also sell premium accounts not yet any info on this, other then "no super gains of any kind, just convenience things"
Old 2012-06-29, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Prexun
Private

Originally Posted by UnDeAdKiTtY View Post
I would, and please before you post please read and look for posts already made about this subject.

Its experience and resource boosters like LoL.

They also sell premium accounts not yet any info on this, other then "no super gains of any kind, just convenience things"
I know what they've said about the premium benefits so far offline exp etc.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kran De Loy
Captain

Better option would be the One-time payment for premium account, but really it depends on cost and content.
If I want to pay a monthly sub it's gonna have to give me my money's worth every month, in order to balance that with people not willing or not capable of paying the monthly sub they'd need to do some fancy ass footwork.

So I would rather they just did 1 time payment for Premium Content that gave the account some recognition status and some other one time ingame bonuses like a batch of free consumables and maybe some cosmetic stuff. That way the monthly sub I want to pay I could pick and choose which items I get off the MT market and those items will be exactly the same as a non-premium person can get.

Originally Posted by Prexun View Post
I know what they've said about the premium benefits so far offline exp etc.
Nah, that is just something they said they'd look into trying out. Honestly I don't want that in the game as it breaks balance between paying customers and non-paying customers. I can see why SOE may want to do it and I can see that as long as the number of benefits that a high XP character is limited enough compared to a newborn character then it could still work.. but.. yeah dun like it.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-29 at 07:02 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

Honestly I'd prefer to just buy the game for $50-60 and be done with it, unfortunately the player base probably wouldn't get large enough for the game to work out if that was the case. I usually like just buying the game once and then have access to everything.

If the game is free then I'm just not very open to buying lots and lots of things that add up, guess that has something to do with my childhood

However if there's a subscription fee then I pretty much only subscribe if that's the only way to play the game, e.g WoW.
If I were to use another SOE game as an example I'd use DCUO. The game's free and I have played it for quite some time, however I feel no need or urge to subscribe to it since it wouldn't make the game that much more fun in my opinion and I can still play it.

TL;DR I like to buy a game once. Probably won't buy more than a few selected items in PS2.

Last edited by IgloGlass; 2012-06-29 at 07:08 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by UnDeAdKiTtY View Post
Yeah, it is more convenient to be able to spawn more vehicles and spam more grenades than non-boosters, isn't it?
Old 2012-06-29, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

I would most likely pay a premium-based kind of subscription thingy. Not necessarily for my own, but more for the sake of giving something back to the developers more than just playing their game. I love SOE for bringing back PlanetSide and I want to support them in this as much as I can.

However, it'll also depend on the cost. Let's just say that I would be OK with paying a standard type of monthly fee.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I have nothing against a subscription, but obviously it comes down to a question of cost vs benefit. If all it does is give me a special camo or two and $x per month in Station Cash then I probably wouldn't go for it. I don't want to end up feeling like I'm renting content is the problem.

Maybe in the end it doesn't make much sense to offer a subscription. On the face of it a one time purchase for a premium account makes more sense to me in a F2P model, especially if you're going to tie some special cosmetic items into it.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Prexun
Private

Originally Posted by IgloGlass View Post
Honestly I'd prefer to just buy the game for $50-60 and be done with it
Same here.

One thing that worries me about PS2 is that it's a huge project and they're just giving it all away for free. That means that they may have to spam us with microtransactions.

Last edited by Prexun; 2012-06-29 at 07:17 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Yeah, it is more convenient to be able to spawn more vehicles and spam more grenades than non-boosters, isn't it?
Well I guess that all depends on how common resources are to begin with. If a grenade costs 1 resource and you earn an average of 5000 an hour then it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. A resource boost might turn out to be totally useless, we won't know until the system is finalized.

But it should always be a percentage boost, not a straight up "x resources per hour" boost. That way you can still rob an entire empire of a certain vehicle by taking all the territory associated with that resource, regardless of how many people are premium players.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Well I guess that all depends on how common resources are to begin with. If a grenade costs 1 resource and you earn an average of 5000 an hour then it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. A resource boost might turn out to be totally useless, we won't know until the system is finalized.

But it should always be a percentage boost, not a straight up "x resources per hour" boost. That way you can still rob an entire empire of a certain vehicle by taking all the territory associated with that resource, regardless of how many people are premium players.
Maybe it's like the rested XP bonus in WoW. In short: if you are offline, you start to accumulate XP bonus. When you come back and start playing, you get double XP till you exhaust your collected XP.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Rest
Old 2012-06-29, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Prexun View Post
Same here.

One thing that worries me about PS2 is that it's a huge project and they're just giving it all away for free. That means that they may have to spam us with microtransactions.
They are obviously confident enough in their shop atm. This could of course change if too few people are actually being converted into buyers.

Personally I'm probably going to buy a premium model of some kind, be it monthly or a one time deal.. If I end up loving the game, which I probably will.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-06-29 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Redshift
Major

You guys need to stop with the subs, it's proven to be a death blow for a game.

Look at PS1 yesterday, 4 days ago it was sub based and no one was online, yesterday it was free and we've 2-3 pop locks

f2p means lots of members all the time, which is exactly what you need in this game. Otherwise the pops drop off over time and the game dies exponentially faster.

If you're desperate to support SOE with cash then just spend lots in the shop.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Prexun
Private

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Look at PS1 yesterday, 4 days ago it was sub based and no one was online, yesterday it was free and we've 2-3 pop locks
You're kidding, right? PS1 is 9 years old, not that many look at games that are nine years old.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion