Armor Damage and Detail Effects - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where people with lives aren't welcome
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-13, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

Armor Damage and Detail Effects

I think it will be cool if Armor got destroyed.....Example if some guy shot you in the leg, you will visually see your armor get destroyed, if he shoots you again in the exposed area, you receive more damage.

Now the reason I want this is because of my head shot theory(yeah I know you stopped reading here).....Since so many of you are against it, this seems like the best solution.

Example if I shoot a Sniper in the head or chest.....I can't kill him because there is no OSOK....So if the Sniper gets healed by a nearby medic, either his head/cheast armor got destroyed so Now I only 1 shot to kill him if I hit them in the exposed are ofcourse(Legs,arms...wont kill u).

Also since there is hitboxes, it will benifit people who don't have the best aim for headshots......So they could aim at the body destroy their armor and do some damage, of course headshots will do more damage tho.

Im not sure if this will work that well tho, it might not be possible but it will look cool.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2011-07-13 at 04:59 AM.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Armor Damage and Detail Effects

All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-13, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
xcel
Corporal

shouldn't the picture say "foolishness" and not "foolness" ....that is quite foolish
Old 2011-07-13, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

Something like this wont happen for years. lets not try to make planetside ahead of its time again.
Old 2011-07-13, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Volw
First Sergeant

True. Not my picture tho. interweb delivered ;-)
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-13, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Diddy Mao
Second Lieutenant

Honestly I think having everyones each individual armors reflect damage and detail effects would have a strain on Low end and mid-ranged pc's. It'd be a nice Asthetic to say the least and I'm all for it but I remember my "first" pc ever for planetside it was essentially 5 framespersecondside till i eventually upgraded.
You last visited: 03-18-2005 at 01:50 PM - lol time flies
Old 2011-07-13, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Yeah that would be pretty cool, and there's two ways you could do it. The first is with damage decals, which a lot of games already use. But this doesn't change the geometry, it's basically spray painting some bullet "hole" textures or scorch marks onto the base texture. Not very convincing.

The second is with geometry shaders, basically a type of tessellation effect. This is very high end graphics stuff and still pretty new, but the advantage is that you're actually deforming the mesh so you can have real dents in armor. But you run into all kinds of problems and nobody's really found a good solution yet that doesn't kill your frame rate, at least not for a game with Planetside's scale.

Aside from the visual effects, you'll need some system of keeping track of damage. This probably means creating additional hitboxes on the fly for sections of armor that have been damaged. Now instead of having one central set of hitboxes for every REXO suit on the battlefield each one will need to have its own, and both the server and client will have to keep track of these.

In short, you might see this in 10 years, or maybe sooner in a game with much smaller scale than PS. But it definitely won't run on 4-5 year old hardware.

Last edited by Gandhi; 2011-07-13 at 06:25 AM.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Redshift
Major

Not gonna happen, maybe in a few years
Old 2011-07-13, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Technically possible, but it would add a giant layer to the balance hell FPS games are. Besides that, it would require quite some more ressources for Player PCs.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Infektion
Sergeant Major

It'd be nice to see ricochets! What would be better than being next to a prowler as it deflects shots into your ribs! :P
Old 2011-07-13, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dreamcast
Major

It sucks that it will be too hard to handle, I guess ill wait for Planetside 3...............lol
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion