Formations - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you still look up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-25, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
davek
Private

Formations

I was playing ace online the other day and got a cool idea for PS what if Outfits had the option to fly or drive in formations like tank columns and V formations there should be cumulative bonuses based on how many people are in the formation for example

V-formation 10% more damage per fighter to a max of 100%

Tank column Speed increased by 5% per tank in formation to a max of 50%

The bonuses should be very distinct and give a significant advantage to encourage the use of formations

They could also be integrated with the outfit specialization system to enhance or open up more formations to outfits specialized in that category of warfare

seeing a formation of scythes fly by would also be pretty epic in my opinion
Old 2012-01-25, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Formations

Seems rather pointless to have arbitrary bonuses for some arbitrary configuration, when real formations and tactics will have a real, non arbitrary, benefit. I'd have to say no.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SteinB
Sergeant

I share your enthusiasm for seeing flights of aircraft and columns of tanks blazing across the battlefield but artificial bonuses are not needed to make them worthwhile. The bonus for formations is already there, multiple sets of eyes watching for enemies, concentrated fire on targets and covering mates that are damaged.
Old 2012-01-25, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah the benefits of formations should be real, not random numbers.

To quote my tactics site:
Column: Allows for quick movement when not expecting enemy contact.

Reduces the impact of enemy mines as each trooper or vehicle steps in the same place as the one in front. Also useful in dense terrain to ensure visual contact is maintained throughout the squad.

The column formation also allows for decent response times against an ambush, as all members of the squad can bring their weapons to bear on the flanks.

The two players following the point man are sightly offset to allow them easier fields of fire forwards if the fire team encounters the enemy unexpectedly.

Staggered Column: As above, except allows even greater flexibility in the event of enemy contact. However this is offset by the increased danger of mines being triggered.

Wedge: Provides good protection for the flanks as a squad advances through a hostile area.

This formation should be used most often when combat is expected from the front as it allows every team member to fire on the target.

V: Only useful when the enemy or objective is fixed and cannot move. This surrounds the enemy but leaves your flanks exposed.

Echelon: Only used when one flank is totally secure due to the environment or massive friendly presence.

https://sites.google.com/site/planetsidetactics/general

Last edited by DviddLeff; 2012-01-25 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2012-01-25, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I think that such bonuses should apply just to encourage people to get into these formations.
Old 2012-01-25, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Tanks travel in columns because roads are relatively narrow strips of pavement on otherwise big pieces of land (called continents). Aircraft don't dogfight in formations because flying in a predictable pattern tends to make it easy to shoot you.

That said, making roads a thing that exists and making vehicles move faster on roads would be interesting as long as they never, ever add landmines.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Purple
Sergeant Major

i dont think it is a good idea to give bonuses to formations. since tanks were clearly covered if you would have a group of air flying in a v getting a bonus then they would have to stay i formation while firing. which would be ridiculous dog fighting and simple to shoot down for anti-air because they would all be in one spot.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault