Stealth - Covert Aspect - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oh my god! It's a fudgecicle!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-11, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Each one of the Empires has it's very own knife, so I'll bet there will be a fair amount of stabbing going on, and I could be mistaken, but I think in the Dev Chat they mentioned something about hacking turrets and turning them on the enemy, so it may be in there too.
Old 2002-11-11, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Word is you can hack into a bunch of enemy systems. Which would probably include turrets/etc

but i'd suspect it has to be done from the inside

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-11, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

THAT opens up some interesting possibilities. Like hacking equipment and vehicle terminals to get empire-specific gear. Which could be Really Confusing, if you got enemy armor. You'd probably end up with your own side's stuff, or gear from the common pool.

You'd probably be limited to "common pool" stuff though, since you wouldn't be cert'ed in their own gear. Maybe.

Think abou this one: A small squad of stealth/hacker types sneak into an enemy base, hack the armor terminal, and all switch to MAX armor, and thence commenceth the bestowing of pain and anguish 'pon their foes. Amen.

"Where the &*#! did they come from?!"

Heh. :evil

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2002-11-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 2002-11-11, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

right! in the meantime squad 2 creates a diversion on the other side of the base to pull forces there, making the infiltration easier (in theory). not only are the enemy engaged on one front, but the hide-n-seek team is busily turning their own systems against them at their flank.

war is hell!

Old 2002-11-11, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Originally posted by NapalmEnima
This is pretty basic guys.

Go check out the official site:
http://planetside.station.sony.com

You'll see a list of weapons, vehicles, and a FAQ.

Go read it all. Then come back. And THEN you can ask questions without getting flamed. Much.

In other words: RTFM.
The reason for my seemingly simple question was to stir more debate on the original topic. Yes, I could follow your link and your advice and, as you so eloquently put it...
RTFM
... but I choose to invigorate the conversation and toss around imaginative ideas. As for flaming people just because, in your opinion, they need to follow the sheep into the pen... to flame someone is easy and without merit. To stimulate the conversation and create the bond that edifies the PS community, that is the optimum route.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2002-11-11, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Splatter
Private

I'm VERY interested in the covert aspect of PlanetSide.

Although I've never much liked stealthy games like Thief (and to an extent Deus Ex), I love sneaking around and getting the enemy when they don't expect you. Kind of like how a Spy playes in Team Fortress (Q1 mod, also Team Fortress Classic in Half-life). They can disguise as an enemy and stab people in the back for a 1 or 2 shot kill. It's all about the stealth with that class, and mastering it makes you very powerful.

I'm a bit concerned though about the idea of a cloaking device. In a few mods (and mods of mods) I've played, making a player invisible heavily skewes the balance in favour of that class. Keeping TF as an example, a mod of a mod was made where in a portion of it, a spy can activate a cloak for a period of time (loses health while it's on). While moving the spy was about 80% invisible and while not moving 100%. That class was so unbalanced that players demanded that the cloak was gotten rid of, and the next patch it was.

Hopefully the cloaking device in PlanetSide will be more balanced.
Old 2002-11-11, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
�io
Lieutenant General

Well i heard(ok read) someone here say cloaked troops have less equipement and move slower. Add to that the fact that bases will surely have a means of detecting them on radar and the implant that allows you to see cloaked troops and it shouldn't be too overpowered.

Must be a riot to have the visual implant and see a cloaked dude sneaking up on you then at the last second you turn around and pump him full of lead.
Old 2002-11-11, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

cloaking was dealt with pretty well in Tribes2. motion sensors, time/energy limits etc. it was still very effective yet could be seen by a keen eye (footprints in dirt etc). I've taken alot of shots in the back being fooled and caught about as many thinking they were invincible.

it can be done without making them the super class. if a defense is prepared for it, its just another body bag
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion