Concerns - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Kicking the VS to the curb since [classified]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-06, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I'd like to see it done a little like Tribes 1. Where it took at least 2 shots to kill anyone that had full health, but each suit of armor had one little spot on it that was it "Life Support System" or something. If you hit that spot with a full laser charge it would drop a Heavy in one shot.

I don't know if it worked the same in T2 since it seems the only 2 things that ever killed me was My own grenades, or someone with a shock lance.
Old 2002-11-06, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

no, purple is not the natinal gay color, and upside down purple triangle is there symbol, its purple but its not their color, leave the vanu's purple armor alone, your just angry cause the others arnt that cool, haters. And i have it on good athority that Sno shall never get laid.
Old 2002-11-06, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Purple is also the color of royalty.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2002-11-08, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
GhostRanger
Private

The comparison of Planetside to DAOC is completely different

DAOC is a roleplaying game, as a result the damage delivered is being handled based on several "CLASS TYPES". Each classs capable of dealing different kinds of damage.

Planetside is a First person shooter in a persistant world (SEE WORLD WAR 2 ONLINE). There are NO class types per say. Each and every player will be essentially the same. What makes the differense is the weapon or equipment type and the damage it delivers. If a sniper rifle deals god like damage, everyone will have access to that god like damage.

Planetside does have skill sets such as slicing heavy armor etc. But every player can access the same skill sets if they choose to. Damage may initially be high or low for a given weapon but by tweaking the weapon everyone gets tweaked.

If you want a better feel of what this game is gonna be like, go try worldwar2 online. Although they are different timelines it is essentially similar games. Planetside tries to offer more of a roleplay feel with skill progression in certs, but that is just minor difference.
Old 2002-11-08, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Each and every player will be essentially the same. What makes the differense is the weapon or equipment type and the damage it delivers. If a sniper rifle deals god like damage, everyone will have access to that god like damage.
Not everyone will have certification with a sniper rifle, so not every player will have access to that kind of rifle.
Old 2002-11-08, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think the point he is trying to make is, if you want to do it, you can.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-08, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
GhostRanger
Private

Correct Hamma,
To clarify - my point is that you have the ability to become certified as a sniper, whether you exercise that option or not is your choice.

You do not have to take a specic RACE or CLASS to gain this ability. That is the difference between an archer in DAOC and Planetside.

Your Avatar will have the same base starting stats as everyone else in the game, what you do from that point foreward is equipment and skill based to impact your character.
Old 2002-11-08, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Enkidu
Contributor
Corporal

Re: Concerns

I played DAoC for quite awhile and I know where you are coming from:

Originally posted by MrVicchio

First off, buying Aircraft.

This better be cheap. If I have to buy a new A/C everytime I get shot down, it better be easy and simple to accomplish.
As others have stated, there is going to be NO economy in PS. If i recall correctly, the only limitations on you getting a vehicle is:
A) If you are certified to use the vechicle
B) There will be a timer that will start until you can get another vehicle.

Secondly,

Anyone here play DAoC? For the first 6 months or so of that game, the choice PvP class was archer. A midevil sniper with invisibility and the ability to one shot kill people. Guess what, they got hit by not the nerf bat, but the whole damn nerf tree. Not even funny.
Since PS doesn't have classes per se; it would be kind of hard to nerf them. The only thing I would see is if some weapons turn o out to be total crap and are uselss in battle. I would believe that it would be easier to balance weapons then it would to balance entire classes.

Most importantly, this is an FPS game, so that makes it a lot harder to get a one-shot. In DAoC (and most MMORPGS) you just target and fire. Hit or miss. Dosent matter if people move or not, they either die or they don't.

Also, one of the nice things about PS is the ability to untrain in certificatons; it makes it that much harder to nurf a character.

Third,

Again using DAoC as a basis, PvP damage was significantly toned down for the express purpose of extending the battles. This really didnt make much difference, only made some classes more effective and others less. I fear such a "correction" being made here.
Since there are no classes, I think it is safe to expect that this type of imbalance in PS would be minimal. Anyway, PS is far more PVP based then DAoC, so wouldn't longer battles be better?
Old 2002-11-08, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
GhostRanger
Private

Too Be sure there will still be post release balancing. If you played WW2OL you will know this.

But balancing issues will be equipment balancing issues.
Does armor X stop the appropriate damage

Does Rifle Y shoot too fast

Why does Vehicle A go slower than Vehicle B in an offroad environment when Vehicle A is lighter in weight smaller, and designed for off road terrain, and Vehicle B is not designed for Offroad.

Or

Respawn takes too long or is not long enough.
Old 2002-11-08, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I see. I originally thought that's what you meant, but the wording of some of the other stuff threw me off. My mistake.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion