Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes, this is a cult.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-05, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I personally feel that a round ending in BF4 has far more meaning than taking a base in PS2 that has no meaning after I walk away from it.
+1

Personally, I think most people just WANT to bash BF. For those that truly want "metagame", there are Battlefield community run options like:

http://global-conflict.org/whatisgc.php

So you get the satisfaction of a balanced round, assigned duties (tank drivers, helicopter pilots, jet pilots, infantry, etc...) and an actual WIN/LOSS result.

I came to PS2 from BF3. I now no longer play PS2 for exactly the reason that Assist described above, and I am not playing BF4 either. So I'm not posting as a fanboi of either game/franchise.

P.S.
Massive scale is nice and all, but from my experience, the majority of battles end up lopsided for one side, which is not fun. OR there are so many people that everything lags/frame rates plummet and a no-man's land forms where anyone trying to push forward is quickly annihilated.

Too many people post crap because they need the reassurance that the game they play is "the best game".
Old 2013-11-05, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dreamcast
Major

The problem with Battlefield 4 and pretty much any shooter out there is that it gets old fast.

You play in the same 9 Maps all the time, eventually it gets old, people figure out where to camp, it just becomes a ritual.

In Planetside 2 there is so many variables, so many ways to attack, so many different places, that is hard to find a perfect spot to Camp.

Sure towers/facilities are all basically the same, but is still isn't as easy to camp like the maps in battlefield where everything is the same.
Old 2013-11-05, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Personally I don't care much for that so called "balanced" game. In real life battles, does one side or the other say, "hay, this isn't fair, you have more pop than us!" So, in some ways, PS2 provides a more "real life" scenario but with a Sci-Fi back story, and it is that which attracts me the most.

I loved playing BF3 with my mates (the first FPS game I had ever played online) but since discovering PS2 I haven't been back to BF3.

BUT! At the end of the day we have to remember that it is "each to their own." Whether your a winer or a fanboy, we are each entitled to our opinions, which are just that.

Me... I'm a PS2 fanboy at this moment in time...
Old 2013-11-05, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Can't blame a company for sticking to what it does best, the free market gets to decide what lives and dies... Then again, we have to contend with publishers only focusing on what they think consumers want.
Maybe so but I have hope in the consumer finally waking up...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...er-with-ghosts

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...any-in-america
Old 2013-11-05, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

My friends are playing BF4 so thats where I want to be, they left PS2 months ago.

Now BF4 wasnt all that stable in the first few days but now I hardly ever crash.
The netcode is shite but I'm guessing they probably wont take a year to fix it.
I probably wont play more than a couple of hundred hours but for me its a nice change of pace from a stale PS2 atm.

Playing on Briggs the fights aren't a patch on what most of the other server have.
Had I been on a well populated server it might have been a different story.
Briggs will never recover from the population slide thats taken place and a server transfer or merge to Connery isnt going to improve anything.
As it is the census numbers on Briggs are exaggerated with so many swapping factions multiple times a session.

Love my PS2 but where I play it seems to be losing more and more players each day.
Buggy BF4 is just more appealing...atm.
Old 2013-11-05, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
A lot of people complain about the state that Planetside 2 is currently at, and with the fact that we have basically been the guniea pigs for the PS4 release. I am not arguing with anyone on these issues, but.... after one has been exposed to Planetside 2 what is the point to Battlefield, or any other game (if any others) that fits the genre for that matter? This is the first time a Battlefield game has been realesed that I can give two s***s about. Alls I'm saying is even with how disappointed I am with the developers I am still going to play it regardless because it is the only game that can fill that missing void. Tell me I'm not the only one.
Welcome to the "Planetside Itch". Nothing will taste/feel the same again you will constantly yearn a satisfaction no other game delivers. You will try and rage quit over SOE's poor design choices but that itch will always drag you back.

Only the ones too stupid to have seen the beauty escape unharmed.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-11-05, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
Well, we can hope that succesful indie titles and Kickstarter projects are going to open publishers' eyes so they stop milking just a few IPs. The key word here being publishers.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-11-05, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Dwarlin
Private

Some Time ago i bought Battlefield 3 because i thougt it would be a better Planetside 2. Luckily just for 5 Dollar, becaus of a special Sale.
But after 2-3 Weeks i returned to Planetside, i dont know why it is more fun, but it is defininitively!
Old 2013-11-05, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

After 10 years and 8,000+ hours in the BF franchise I stopped after 5 painful months of BF3, sure it looks pretty but gameplay is shallow and quite honestly DICE lied point blank several times to it's customers about BF3. BF4 looks no different and aside from a few token changes the same problems still exist as does the same business model DICE has changed to that I detest (I don't want to get into it).

What PS2 did for me was give me a true "WAR" game, not 32 vs 32 wash, rinse, repeat, there is one simple way to win the map, skirmish without a larger purpose. Yes, PS2 has yet to implement that real purpose yet but I am being patient because it has me intrigued enough simply by pushing the boundaries of technology to bring us a game of this scale or rather potential scale. I will support them until something bigger or better comes along but my guess would be that will be PS3 or some other SOE title that they create after their learning curve on reaching so big with PS2.

I do wish they would ramp up the info train again...it's been fairly quite honestly.
Old 2013-11-05, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Welcome to the "Planetside Itch". Nothing will taste/feel the same again you will constantly yearn a satisfaction no other game delivers. You will try and rage quit over SOE's poor design choices but that itch will always drag you back.

Haha true I did get that way when introduced to PS1 when I was a young lad. Although, if I wasn't able to play the game at max settings with minimal lag I don't think I'd feel the same. It's the cinematic experience that has me sold everytime. It's funny.. whenever I have buddies over that have never seen the game there blown away at the epicness especially when I tell them it's all online they tend to be under the first impression that this is a single player game I'm playing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-11-05, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
The problem with Battlefield 4 and pretty much any shooter out there is that it gets old fast.

You play in the same 9 Maps all the time, eventually it gets old, people figure out where to camp, it just becomes a ritual.

In Planetside 2 there is so many variables, so many ways to attack, so many different places, that is hard to find a perfect spot to Camp.

Sure towers/facilities are all basically the same, but is still isn't as easy to camp like the maps in battlefield where everything is the same.
Every battle in Planetside 2 ends with the winning army surrounding the losing armies spawnroom and bombarding it for the duration of the cap time.

Planetside 2 is the King of Camping in shooters.
Old 2013-11-05, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
I do wish they would ramp up the info train again...it's been fairly quite honestly.
From what I've heard we will be seeing two optimization patches followed by one content patch and then a third optimization patch. Don't know what comes next after that.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-11-05, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post

I want to know why I don't have that from PS2 like I did from PS1?

Others as well, people I played PS1 with who got bored or frustrated with hackers or some such, we could ALWAYS talk them into coming back for a month here or there. Something about PS1 got into you, even if you managed to walk away it was in the back of your mind calling to you.

PS2? I kinda feel I need to log in, I feel I SHOULD play with my outfit. But there is something missing, and some of those people I could always get to get onto PS1? They walked away during PS2 beta and haven't looked back.

I want that 28 days without planetside feel again, but I don't know exactly what PS2 is missing to give that.
Old 2013-11-05, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
I want to know why I don't have that from PS2 like I did from PS1?

Others as well, people I played PS1 with who got bored or frustrated with hackers or some such, we could ALWAYS talk them into coming back for a month here or there. Something about PS1 got into you, even if you managed to walk away it was in the back of your mind calling to you.

PS2? I kinda feel I need to log in, I feel I SHOULD play with my outfit. But there is something missing, and some of those people I could always get to get onto PS1? They walked away during PS2 beta and haven't looked back.

I want that 28 days without planetside feel again, but I don't know exactly what PS2 is missing to give that.
Ps1 was a complete and finished game. It had great Mechanics / 12 continents / caves / limitations so you have to play as a team to get the most out of it / proper true metagame that kept you engaged / great base design to seperate vehicle and infantry combat / proper hack mechanics / limited cert pool forcing you to choose one thing or the other not having it all / It was a fantastic game.

Planetside 2 lacks all of the above and is still far better than battlefieldcod1982734

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2013-11-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2013-11-05, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I gues if you have a substandard computer planetside 2 is going to be hard to enjoy. I love the freedom in the game to do pretty much whatever I want to do and the gunplay is fantastic. I cant wait for more stuff though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion