Players outside of EU and US - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because you can see the flames from orbit.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-14, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ausrivo
Private

Players outside of EU and US

Hey everyone,

Im an Aussie who has got there hands on a beta code. Im alittle worried because there seems to only be US and EU servers. Will my ping be really bad? I never played the 1st game so im not sure how my connection would fair.

Would the key be wasted on me due to where i live?

Any Australians here who are also in the beta?
Old 2012-04-14, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Players outside of EU and US

the first one was fine with a ping of upto 300(annoying though when your kill packets arrive late...). though of course lower is always better.

SOE have better netcode than most of the retards out there, expect the same ping to their servers as what you get on speedtest.net i would expect servers in san jose again.

as for this games the code? its expect to behave like BF3's, with its leniency(unlike source) play some BF3 on servers where you ping approximately 200 and see how you go.

Remember though that the higher the TTK time the easier it is for people with higher pings to compete on a competitive level, PS2's TTK is going to be well over doubles that of BF3's, so this will reflect positivity on our play experience.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-14, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ausrivo
Private

thankyou for easing my worries. im glad they are accommodating for people outside of EU and NA.
Old 2012-04-14, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by ausrivo View Post
thankyou for easing my worries. im glad they are accommodating for people outside of EU and NA.
well i doubt they're really accommodating us, really just a by product of having to support thousands of players on a server. I'm still remaining skeptical, but from what we know sofar, it should be playable....certainly not as bad as trying to play Unreal on a US server anyway.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-14, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
yonman
Corporal

Though not as far away as the great outback ;-p Middle East players can get around 80ms ping to Europe and around 120ms in the east coast of the USA. Throughout my eight years of playing PS1 this has fluctuated and frankly I was always at a disadvantage but you learn to compensate.

If you want to be the best kill-whore out there, you'll have a harder time. Luckily PS was never all about twitch skill only: placement, timing and backup are important too and sometimes even outweigh the ol' twitcheroo and killer instincts.

These days in Tribes Ascend I focus on heavies, technician and vehicles. In these roles my slower response matters a bit less and I do just fine.
Old 2012-04-14, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ausrivo
Private

haha Australia has the worst internet speeds of any developed country in the world. But our country is now installing a new internet infrastructure to be conducted over the next 3 years so we will finally have good internet.

Im a team player i would rather help my team then get kills Ive adapted to lag so i im fine with it as long its not game breaking
Old 2012-04-14, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by ausrivo View Post
haha Australia has the worst internet speeds of any developed country in the world. But our country is now installing a new internet infrastructure to be conducted over the next 3 years so we will finally have good internet.

Im a team player i would rather help my team then get kills Ive adapted to lag so i im fine with it as long its not game breaking
it wont make our pings any better.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-14, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by yonman View Post
These days in Tribes Ascend I focus on heavies, technician and vehicles. In these roles my slower response matters a bit less and I do just fine.
Considering Tribes isn't an MMO, but is a Server Based FPS, with many Australian servers and players, I'm rather curious why you're playing on oversea servers.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Punker
Corporal

Planetside 1 was playable on a ~250ms ping, even though sometimes becomes frustrating you really had to make every shot count and get the jump on a lot of players to come out on top.

Playing with an organised team negated that to a degree because you're not really DM'ing 1 on 1.

And yeah with the NBN (the new network being rolled out in aus) you will notice a slightly better ping. Some people are reporting 160-180ms to USA West coast.
Old 2012-04-15, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

you can get 150ms if you're in sydney for sure, but you can get that on ADSL.

this is a raw 100mbs up and down stream fibre connection, its essentially 5m of cat5 cable, then its on fibre connected straight from east melb to the backbone.

sorta weak in the ping department, i ping the same on my internode connection.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion