Systems: Possible Sanctuary System - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whats A-Rack!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.56 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-08-11, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Re: Possible Sanctuary System

I really expect 2 things from holed up empires: either they move on to another continent, or amass an offense capable of wrecking the guys sitting outside. If it's colossal star-ships we're launching from, that break out may involve heavy air-to-air combat.

While it would be cool to destroy the enemy beachhead, I think it might be too problematic as well.

I must be one of the few whom believe PS2 can survive without sancs. I'd rather organize multiple gal drops from within a battleship hangar knowing I won't have to sit through a loading screen twice every time empire leaders decide to form a raid for the continent I'm already on. Overall, it's just plain more convenient this way.
Old 2011-08-11, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
I really expect 2 things from holed up empires: either they move on to another continent, or amass an offense capable of wrecking the guys sitting outside. If it's colossal star-ships we're launching from, that break out may involve heavy air-to-air combat.

While it would be cool to destroy the enemy beachhead, I think it might be too problematic as well.

I must be one of the few whom believe PS2 can survive without sancs. I'd rather organize multiple gal drops from within a battleship hangar knowing I won't have to sit through a loading screen twice every time empire leaders decide to form a raid for the continent I'm already on. Overall, it's just plain more convenient this way.
But its also not fair to the empire that beats you and kicks you off a continent. "We beat you, now we're just going to sit here indefinitely until you all decide to leave up there."
Old 2011-08-12, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I'm with the general flow of this thread. I like sanc. Its always been a place to rally and goof off. Now I've got a few ideas / opinions that could make footholds work though. Here they be.

1. Each empire has a foothold on every continent is a baaaad idea. In PS1 sometimes there was a 3 way fight, sometimes 2 way. It was fun to be pitted ahagainst one empire sometimes, and other times a 3 way fight sucked.

2. Mother ships is a great idea. I don't think they should be stationary though. Here's my proposition for "Mother ships"

A. Each empire has 3 MS (one for every 3 continents, assuming there's 9)
B. MS fly above the alt cap.
C. MS Have launch pods that act like the HART, they are able to launch anywhere on a continent inside territory that you own +1 into enemy territory (assuming hex grid territory) These launch pods are usably by infantry and MAX only. Animation shows launch from MS and flight to LZ. Groups of players in squads fly in a loose formation for added awsome.
D. MS have a "flight deck" On the Flight deck you can spawn vehicles. Air vehicles leave from a hole in the top and fly to one of two or three beach heads. You must physically fly out the top to do this. Land vehicles load up in a HART like transports which leave immediatly. If grouped the SL choses when to eave and the squad goes together in one craft. The transport flys to one of the two or three beach heads and disembarks the vehicles.
E. MS move from continent to continent. One moves every day, meaning a MS will be on continent for a period of 3 days. The move is based on a public vote to everyone in the empire. MS cannot move to a continent that already has a MS of the same empire there.
F. A continent that is captured by an enemy empire while your MS is present forces an early vote. The only way to keep your MS there is to take territory inside of a 1 to 3 hour time span. If your empire fails your MS retreats and then warp gates are the only viable attack option there.
G. MS voted to a continent has 3/ 4 directions to attack from. It is random. Each direction has 2 or 3 beach heads. Votes would last 6 hours, and be slightly randomized on the day they occur (could start at noon, could start at 11pm)

What's this do for us? It means that the war will constantly shift around. Cont locks are still viable. We won't ALWAYS have a three way fight on our hands. We also have a cool place to group up and some cool animations to watch when we launch. It also means that an MS deployed to a continent with no MS has an advantage.
Old 2011-08-12, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
OptimusPrime
Private

None of this will matter.... The world will end in 2012, one day before PlanetSide2 is released...
Old 2011-08-12, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
roastduck
Private

What if the beachheads aren't a fixed game mechanic? What if part of the reason for certing CE is so you can help establish player-formed beachheads?

Imagine, if you will:

Continent/Planet X--we'll call it Dirkadirkastan--is locked down by NC dogs. Our glorious TR leaders want Dirkadirkastan captured to use as a recreational facility for old and retired Reavers. A large strike force is assembled on a friendly continent/planet, and they proceed to invade Dirkadirkastan. The game selects a random stretch of beach, and the strikeforce is dropped into open sea off of that beach. They move in, and while a group of CEs begins setting up the beachhead, they rest of the strikeforce defends.

How does this plan prevent camping/besieging/whatever? Say this fabled Mothership merely drops landing craft. It could easily drop them into the open ocean off of the map, from whence the force moves directly to the beach and begins securing it. Because the beaches are chosen at random by the game, a faction would have to patrol an ENTIRE continent to prevent an invasion. Have the invading force spawn together ~30 seconds from the beach, and let a warning show up on the enemy faction's chat window. This gives the invasion enough of a head start to not completely fuck them over, but let's the other side know what's up so they can go and defend, and we can all shoot at each other and be happy.
Old 2011-08-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kouza
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Also your not the only who served here, my left leg can attest to that so just get over yourself please.
Not to bring this back up but, I read this.... All I could think about was how this shows Firefly as the better Tactician IMO. (His legs are still intact)
Old 2011-08-12, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I've wondered how they could possibly manage that. If a base is uncaptureable then how could you ever lock a continent? Maybe if one empire captures all the other bases on the cont then the strongholds will switch and the players be forced to leave or something?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault