Sony breakup into separate companies? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma owes me a nickel, I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-31, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Sony breakup into separate companies?

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
It's cheaper to develop games for consoles because there is only 1 standardized hardware configuration you need to optimize for and bug test.
Well, the words were "more profittable", not "less expensive". But that too.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-31, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Having ps2 on the ps4 might mean better sales of peripherals for sony. Who would want to play this game strictly using a gamepad. I would want to buy a compatible mouse and keyboard for the new console.
Old 2013-05-31, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
xeroslash
Private

If SOE develops a PS4 version of PlanetSide 2 that has cross-play with PC, there's one major benefit it can bring: better multi-core optimization.

The PS4 hardware's CPU is a multi-core AMD (!!) CPU, where each individual core is relatively weak. If SOE can get the optimization on that kind of hardware down, it can extend to the PC version, since this time around, the PS4 is something that is essentially a PC with a closed ecosystem (in terms of individual parts).
Old 2013-05-31, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
List of MMOs for console. Playstation 2 had Final Fantasy XI which was later brought to Xbox 360. Playstation 3 currently has Free Realms and DC Universe... both are free to play models created by SOE. Final Fantasy XIV will be on a playstation platform as well... originally slated for PS3, but will more than likely be on PS4 unless this was scrapped. I haven't kept up with Final Fantasy XIV after the PC release crashed and burned.

There is absolutely nothing stopping MMOs from coming to consoles. There is no reason to beleive that Planetside 2 won't be on the PS4. The hardware can handle it. They could adapt it for controllers or players could use a mouse and keyboard. However, they will likely run Planetside 2 on console only servers like they do for DC Universe... but they don't have to because in Final Fantasy XI you could play with people on Xbox 360, PC or Playstation 2.

I forgot about this one since I was playing Everquest on PC at the time. The game was Everquest Champions of Norrath.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_of_Norrath
I understand what you saying, Im not saying MMO's can make it to console, Im saying PS2 is alot more fast paced, and it doesnt have instances, also look at the ratings of the final fantasy they were below average (due to bugs and glitches and somewhat game play). The thing that made FF XI stand out was that they were putting PC and console players on the same server, which was cool but when it came to fixing issues with the game, it took longer and was alot harder to find what was causing most of these problems. DC universe is not doing so hot well, a lot of downloading time, and from what most reviews are saying, patience is needed when dealing with the game (most console players want to insert disk hit play) and when you finally get it up and running, it gets old quick. So lets take a fast paced game like PS2, its going to have it problems, need patching and a very large content for a console, not to mention updates. I dont know, SOE is going to require an army to keep this game up and running smoothly on console, and as I said before will it be worth the money.

@ Predatorfour: I ment no disrespect, when I use the term "console kid" its just pertans to the thought process of the more than average console gamer. Fast paced, and always ready for the next big release. I have two teenage boys and they hit me up at least once or twice a month, about the new game and how there gonna die if they dont have it. I actually went out and got them state issued ID's so they can trade in games without me at GameStop (Which requires ID to trade in games) they see me playing planetside on PC and they think it looks cool but, were soon back down stairs playing Assasins creed, and skyrim, and call of duty. My girl is a PS3 gamer, she does school, work, cook (and other things) and plays here PS3. I let her check out PS2 and she said that was to much going on there for her. She actually asked me after about 15 minutes of playing, and I quote "What do we have to do to win the game". So when I say console kids its not a bad thing its just that heavy console gamers usually dont get into long drawn out gaming concepts like PS2.

Last edited by Qwan; 2013-05-31 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2013-05-31, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

The SOE talking heads have been hinting at since shortly after release that a port to PS4 is possible.
Old 2013-05-31, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
There's a possibility they could put PS2 on the PlayStation. The question I have is: Will it play cross-platform online with the PC players?
no, unless it fully supports keyboard / mouse which means it's not really cross platform. They just printed PS4 on their computer box. Personally mine is called HAF.
Old 2013-05-31, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sangahyando
Private

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
there arent many MMO's connected to the console world, well none that I have heard of.
Defiance for a kick off. I would also add the Fable franchise as well.
Old 2013-06-05, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Suggestion: Read some books or something, learn, get a clue.

SOE focusing on Playstation games, lol. You dont even remotly know what you are talking about.
Just had to re quote this Basti fail.
Old 2013-06-05, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Just had to re quote this Basti fail.
Old 2013-06-07, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Interesting.
Old 2013-06-07, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Misato
Private

Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Defiance for a kick off. I would also add the Fable franchise as well.
Final fantasy online. PC, Xbox, and play station all played on the same server. Still up after 10 years.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion