Equipment/Weapon slots, more than two sizes this time? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu: Bottom of the food chain
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-27, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Equipment/Weapon slots, more than two sizes this time?

Planetside had only two type of equipment slots, small and large.
Small holsters for pistols, grenades or other small utility devices and large holsters for everything else, mostly weapons but a few utility devices as well.

I'm really keen to discover if PlanetSide 2, will have weapons and utility devices split up in more groups, like small medium and large instead of only two. To limit equipment load outs.
(example)
Infiltrator, 1 small holster
Standard, 2 small holsters and 1 medium holster
Agile, 2 small holsters and 1 medium holster
Reinforced, 2 small holster, 1 medium holster and 1 large holster

Rexo’s running around with Heavy Assault and an AV weapon is now a day’s a very common sight, including myself. But there are many times, I wished this wasn’t possible for I kind of believe it had a negative effect on game play. When planetside just got released and people where still relatively low in battle rank, the game felt more balanced, only because people didn’t have the certification to carry everything around yet. A single MAX unit was effective against infantry indoors, for only a few where packing AV. Now a MAX is less scary, for the second it shows up on radar or people get a glimps of him, it’s not just one or two players in the mob switching to AV, but nearly everybody to over exaggerate a little bit =D
Old 2011-07-27, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Equipment/Weapon slots, more than two sizes this time?

Totally agree with you on your reasoning, and your solution (although mine is slightly different.
Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Agile:

Rexo:

However I don't think PS2 will even have holsters, let alone inventories at all. It sounds to me as if it will be a more BFBC2 style system, where you choose your primary and secondary weapons, support tools, etc from a limited selection depending on your armour or class.
Old 2011-07-27, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Oh hell yeah, would be astounded if they did take a page from BFBC2 that way but it would make for a better play experience.

Less time having to fool with convoluted inventory system and more time being able to blast away with my favorite boomsticks without woe wardrobe incompatibility makes the game all the more enterprising..
Old 2011-07-27, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Oh hell yeah, would be astounded if they did take a page from BFBC2 that way but it would make for a better play experience.

Less time having to fool with convoluted inventory system and more time being able to blast away with my favorite boomsticks without woe wardrobe incompatibility makes the game all the more enterprising..
I respectfully disagree. I rather enjoyed the inventory style in the original, and the changes above Dvidd suggested make sense.

It seems the PS1 style won't stay in much to my dismay. But o well, it could be worse.
Old 2011-07-27, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bing
Private

Cookie cutter classes are just so bland though. I'm still holding out hope for the inventory (even though all evidence points the other way.) At the very least I hope there is some significant variation within each class.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bing View Post
Cookie cutter classes are just so bland though.
*cough*rexohaavmedeng*cough*

Sorry, must have something in my throat.

They have said there will be weapons common across classes(I'm guessing some will not be as well), and have said that something like the jump suit won't have heavy weapons.

So I'm thinking it will be pretty much like what dviddlef posted, just without the inventory. Either standardized ammo amounts per weapon, or some slider that lets you adjust ammo loadouts.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post

You know, it really says something when the average gamer things removing cool features that dumb down the game actually improves the game.

Originally Posted by wildcat140679 View Post

Rexo’s running around with Heavy Assault and an AV weapon is now a day’s a very common sight, including myself. But there are many times, I wished this wasn’t possible for I kind of believe it had a negative effect on game play. When planetside just got released and people where still relatively low in battle rank, the game felt more balanced, only because people didn’t have the certification to carry everything around yet. A single MAX unit was effective against infantry indoors, for only a few where packing AV. Now a MAX is less scary, for the second it shows up on radar or people get a glimps of him, it’s not just one or two players in the mob switching to AV, but nearly everybody to over exaggerate a little bit =D
I take it you don't play Planetside? I was on last night trying to take a tower from the NC... the scatmax is still plenty scary.

Sorry that your max doesn't allow you to kill multiple people at the same time! Sounds like you think everyone having HA/AV is unbalanced because they can kill you. And what strange world do you live in where having HA/AV is having "everything"?

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-27 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You know, it really says something when the average gamer things removing cool features that dumb down the game actually improves the game.
It also says something when leet gamers can't recognize the drawbacks certain 'complex' features possess.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
It also says something when leet gamers can't recognize the drawbacks certain 'complex' features possess.
Oh yes, the inventory system is so "complex". The inventory system was perfect, there's no need to remove it.

Just create standardized layouts for people too lazy to make their own. Like the default HA loadout could be MCG / 200 ammo / 3 medkits or something. But if I wanted to I could change it to MCG / 300 ammo 1 medkit.

Everyone is happy.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-27 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

There's something to be said about the loss of the inventory. But in the end it doesn't matter much.

I think a better hybrid system, where you an choose the weapon slots in a drop own sort of fashion while the backback can hold whatever. As long as you can't swap out-of-class weapons between the pack and slots.

And it wasn't perfect, it was cumbersome...especially if you were trying to pick something off a dead guy. Click on things, destroy/drop, click and drag new thing. It was a PITA if you wanted to use a weapon not in favorites already, It could definitely be better.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-27 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
There's something to be said about the loss of the inventory. But in the end it doesn't matter much.

I think a better hybrid system, where you an choose the weapon slots in a drop own sort of fashion while the backback can hold whatever. As long as you can't swap out-of-class weapons between the pack and slots.

And it wasn't perfect, it was cumbersome...especially if you were trying to pick something off a dead guy. Click on things, destroy/drop, click and drag new thing. It was a PITA if you wanted to use a weapon not in favorites already, It could definitely be better.
Right clicking puts it instantly in your inventory. Sure it may seem cumbersome if you don't use all the functionality.

They could fix a few things but overall it's perfect.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-27 at 11:25 AM.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Valdae
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
They could fix a few things but overall it's perfect.
lol whT!?!
Old 2011-07-27, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
lol whT!?!
The inventory system was good tbh, it did need somethings to make it work more fluidly but overall it made you make decisions about what to take based on what you were doing
Old 2011-07-27, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Valdae
Sergeant

Lol, no I agree. I was laughing at that sentence.
Old 2011-07-27, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Redshift
Major

heh yea you're right
on reading it again it makes perfect sense although it's nonsense
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion