Seriously mods R possible anyone interested? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NEWS FLASH! Sigbot is Hamma's blender!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

Question Seriously mods R possible anyone interested?

AGN just ended and I tried to get a question answered on the show. I did spam it a bit and Im sorry... It was to get attention to it because for me its an important topic. I was asking if there was any interest in localhost mods. It is an MMO but you can still mod it. How moding works with say TF2 (prior 2 steam workshop) is you have 2 sets of code server side which is usually the level file and effects, and there is clientside the data stored on you're harddrive. If in planetside the clientside data includes things like animations weapon models and player models then you can do mods with only a few simple world assets and plugins (maybe some lighting and particles but not much else). Much like a game such as minecraft with some net code you could in theory host such a mod on you're pc or a real server.

But what use does it have? It depends on what the mod is it could just be stupidity or something like an outfit training ground, a quad bike race track or a set for a PS2 machinima. With a little more work you could intigrate some planetside models into Source filmaker. This would all depend on what data is stored clientside instead of server side. Its not that crazy if you think about it, and without some serious cash you wouldn't be able to host a real planetside continent.

THIS WOULD IN NO WAY INVOLVE ACTUAL SOE SERVERS (HACK FREE) ONLY THE CODE ON YOU"RE HARDRIVE AND AN EXTREME AMOUNT OF WORK

What does everyone think would this be interesting?

4 clarification these mods would not be used on a full server, also this would require a tremendous amount of work you would have to use allot of net code to be able to host a server probably for only 30 people. The filling in of gaps would be huge just to get a very simple mod to work and have a friend (most likely on lan) to join. Please stop with the hacking comments and the NOT HAPPENING comments. This is a big huge IF! nothing set in stone

Last edited by XxAxMayxX; 2012-07-21 at 10:12 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NexAnima
Private

Re: Seriously mods R possible anyone interested?

There will be no mods in PS2. It is an MMO, not a shooter with multiplayer. This will never happen...ever.

Perhaps there will be a client side support for hud mods in the future, but don't think for a second they will give out their source code or allow server side mods.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Carnage
Sergeant

As far as anyone is aware the only mods there can be is UI changes clientside (that do not affect gameplay), there will be no scriptural or model based mods. these can be exploited to much.

Last edited by Carnage; 2012-07-21 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
haticK
First Sergeant

they will let you move around most of the UI so you can have it wherever you want but i think thats about it
Old 2012-07-21, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Elude
First Sergeant

If such mods were allowed I'd be too tempted to just color everyone a solid color based on their faction.

If you give me the opportunity to ruin the atmosphere so that I may have an advantage over others I'll take it.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sephirex
Major

You're assuming you can host your own server. I've never heard of an MMO with sanctioned player run servers. I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
If such mods were allowed I'd be too tempted to just color everyone a solid color based on their faction.

If you give me the opportunity to ruin the atmosphere so that I may have an advantage over others I'll take it.
And that is why mods are unfeasible...

...because many gamers are cheating, filthy, unsportsmanlike piles of scum.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Elude View Post

Thats exactly why mods should not be allowed into ps2.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NexAnima View Post
There will be no mods in PS2. It is an MMO, not a shooter with multiplayer. This will never happen...ever.

Perhaps there will be a client side support for hud mods in the future, but don't think for a second they will give out their source code or allow server side mods.
Ok so just to clarify It depends on what is clientside if the hud is the only thing thats on our hardrives you're right not possible. But if there is just a small amount of data to work with it thAN IT CAN CAN BE DONE.

Also it is a shooter with multiplayer because they both function the same way its just one has a larger player count and a larger level.

If you're not interested don't say anything.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by XxAxMayxX View Post
Ok so just to clarify It depends on what is clientside if the hud is the only thing thats on our hardrives you're right not possible. But if there is just a small amount of data to work with it thAN IT CAN CAN BE DONE.

Also it is a shooter with multiplayer because they both function the same way its just one has a larger player count and a larger level.

If you're not interested don't say anything.
This post just confirmed you have no idea what you're talking about, nor have any interest in understanding what you're dealing with outside your preconceptions.

I will just say this. Sony's running all the servers. To keep the server's hacker free, there will be algorithms checking the client the data sends. If the client has been modified and is sending inappropriate information, it will not run.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-21 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

He's not talking about modding for the main servers, guys. This, as many of you have pointed out, is not possible.

He's talking about coding in the stuff necessary to set up your own server, that friends could then log into that has nothing to do with the "main" world. His interest, as stated, is to set up private training grounds for outfits, or a "machinma friendly" environment where people aren't trying to kill you the whole time you're filming.

Game-wise, this isn't an issue, because only a supercomputer, or a server bank, could host more than couple dozen players (meaning everyone will still come to SOE servers to play). However, there are some hurdles to all this, such as opening yourself to possible legal prosecution. At the very least, you'd need SOE's permission.

In theory, what you're talking about would be possible, as all "game" information will be on your hard drive. In order to do this, you would have to be able to code the game to look at servers besides the SOE ones. While possible, this not a "little" thing to do, and based on you asking this question in the first place, you strike me as the type of person that says "I want THIS! Now somebody ELSE go do it." This is never a popular attitude among modding communities.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

It seems like it'd be alot of work with no real benefit. People who want to do PS2 machinimas where actual stories are told will likely just make mock-up models in the source engine and use that. Just like they do with everything else.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
He's not talking about modding for the main servers, guys. This, as many of you have pointed out, is not possible.

He's talking about coding in the stuff necessary to set up your own server, that friends could then log into that has nothing to do with the "main" world. His interest, as stated, is to set up private training grounds for outfits, or a "machinma friendly" environment where people aren't trying to kill you the whole time you're filming.

Game-wise, this isn't an issue, because only a supercomputer, or a server bank, could host more than couple dozen players (meaning everyone will still come to SOE servers to play). However, there are some hurdles to all this, such as opening yourself to possible legal prosecution. At the very least, you'd need SOE's permission.

In theory, what you're talking about would be possible, as all "game" information will be on your hard drive. In order to do this, you would have to be able to code the game to look at servers besides the SOE ones. While possible, this not a "little" thing to do, and based on you asking this question in the first place, you strike me as the type of person that says "I want THIS! Now somebody ELSE go do it." This is never a popular attitude among modding communities.
It is possible in theory. In theory, Sony could also turn the entire game into a MOBA or an RPG.

It's just not in the cards with the game mechanics, server structure, and monetization model.

Unless this thread is purely based on theory craft. But then it should take itself MUCH less seriously.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-21 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Forget this thread. The other one is far more interesting
Old 2012-07-21, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Forget this thread. The other one is far more interesting
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion