One Empire per Server? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We love to see you smi....I mean die.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-11-03, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Marsman
Major

Originally Posted by Mango
But what about if we have characters for both empires that we want to keep? I have a BR 15 TR guy that i put many hours into that I wouldn't want to lose.
Well I'd assume they might be able to do something like this:
You log onto Emerald. You want NC to be the empire for Emerald. You have TR and VS characters. A window appears and tells you of the change. You are given an option to move characters of a particular empire to one of the other servers. (NC, TR, VS selection) You click TR. You are asked what server you want to move to (Markov, Werner). You choose to move you TR chars to Markov. TR Characters are moved to Markov. Now the option reads (NC, VS) You select VS. A confirmation now appears that you want to move the VS characters to Werner. You confirm. You are left with NC characters only for Emerald. This process would be repeated on each server until each has characters of only one empire.
Should the character name exist on a server you are moving characters onto - that name will be appended with -X where X is the first letter of the server name they came from. Example: One of the TR characters you moved to Markov from Emerald in the example above has the same name as an existing character already on Markov. Your TR character name is then appened by -E when it is moved to Markov to prevent conflict.
Old 2004-11-03, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

The only difference between that and the server move would be that you couldn't take your outfit with you. Which of course would make the process smoother than the server merge from that point of view.

You'd also need to make sure that you wouldn't be adding a TR character on Werner to Emerald if you already had an NC character on Emerald.
Old 2004-11-03, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I think it would be best to have it send you to a screen with four columns, one for emerald, one for markov, one for werner and one with all your characters in it. Each server has all three empire logos over it, and you can select one logo to set the empire you have decided on for that server. Then you can drag each individual char (mouse over the name for information about the char, br/cr/outfit/origininal empire and server/ect.) into one of the three server columns and drop it in there to have that char on that empire/server. Hit done, it asks you if your sure, wait a few minutes while the servers process the information and move the info around, and your done. Probably wouldn't be that simple, but thats the sort of principle they could go by.
Old 2004-11-03, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Marsman
Major

You'd also need to make sure that you wouldn't be adding a TR character on Werner to Emerald if you already had an NC character on Emerald.
I'd assume once you cleared a server to just one empire, they wouldn't let you move a different empire character into it. One would probably want to look at characters on each server and choose what will go where. Situations like making NC Primary empire on two servers and having the 2 empire characters on the third would leave a choice of losing one of the empire's characters on the third server, or moving all the NC characters to one server so you can move one of the empire's. It does allow you the choice (even if un-desirable) of keeping all your characters. It just depends on your priority I guess.
Old 2004-11-03, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Incompetent
I think it would be best to have it send you to a screen with four columns, one for emerald, one for markov, one for werner and one with all your characters in it. Each server has all three empire logos over it, and you can select one logo to set the empire you have decided on for that server. Then you can drag each individual char (mouse over the name for information about the char, br/cr/outfit/origininal empire and server/ect.) into one of the three server columns and drop it in there to have that char on that empire/server. Hit done, it asks you if your sure, wait a few minutes while the servers process the information and move the info around, and your done. Probably wouldn't be that simple, but thats the sort of principle they could go by.
We'd have a fair number of duplicate (at least) naming issues as well. And what about the Outfits whose members all have different characters on different servers? Coordinating such a move would be very difficult, and I suspect many people would be dissatisfied even if all their character moves worked out, simply because some of their mates might not have such an easy decision to make on character/empire placement.
Old 2004-11-03, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
NeoPhoenixTE
Private

I want this like nothing else...

However, I have an NC with m 4 TR.

I wanna be able to convert my NC to a TR so that work's not wasted.

Do that, and alot of people who fear something like this will adopt it without a second thought.
Old 2004-11-03, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

I think the best way would be to make it so that, if they were to change it, make it so that you decide what empire you want all of your characters to be. In the case of outfits, the outfit leader will choose which empire he or she wants to go to, and the entire outfit is told.
Old 2004-11-03, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Now does this actually have a chance of going into the game Marsman? I love the idea because before the merger, it was great, and I mean great.

Questions though...
1) Would i have to delete the characters from my other empires to play on NC? Example: Delete my TR BR 20, CR 5 so I could play NC? Or could I switch my TR to NC?
2) Would you be able to have multiple characters on one empire?
3) Would we be able to change the name a little so we can fit it to our liking?
Old 2004-11-03, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

It probably does have a chance of going into the game Silver but i highly doubt that it will happen
Old 2004-11-03, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Marsman
Major

Originally Posted by SilverLord
Questions though...
1) Would i have to delete the characters from my other empires to play on NC? Example: Delete my TR BR 20, CR 5 so I could play NC? Or could I switch my TR to NC?
2) Would you be able to have multiple characters on one empire?
3) Would we be able to change the name a little so we can fit it to our liking?
First of all - this is only a poll. Nothing even remotely like this has been suggested from the devs. I was mearly offering an idea as to how it "might" be accomplished if they ever did do it.

I would hope, in the interest of preserving characters, that users would be given the choice of what empire they want to keep on a server and what server to move other empire characters to. So in response to your questions:

1) No, you would move the TR to another server instead.
2) Yes, all your chars on a server would be just one empire. You could infact make all the servers one empire, or 2 servers of one empire and the last server a different empire. But the bottom line is all your similar empire chars would end up together on a single server.
3) Character name conflicts would probably be dealt with in the same manner as the server merge. i.e. adding the -K and -J to incoming chars when the same name already exists. Whether they offer a one time rename of those is also offered, dunno - can't remember if the did that for the merge last time or not.

Again, this is only a suggestion of a way to implement such an action should SOE ever consider to do so.
Old 2004-11-03, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

I think Primary and Secondary empires might work.

The oldest character on your account: The empire that character belongs to becomes your primary empire.

Your secondary empire is the other empire you have chosen.

You can play your Primary empire at any time.

You can only play your secondary empire characters when they DO NOT have the highest server population. This means when that empire needs people to help, that's the only time you can log in.
Old 2004-11-03, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
LBSheep
Private

Why dont we just leave it be. if its not broke dont fix it... I dont want to move any of my characters (TR, VS, NC) nor lose them. I worked my ass off getting my characters to where they are and dont feel like I should lose any of them. and if i am paying to play then I am paying to play on any server and any character i want, when i want...
Old 2004-11-03, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Wolf Blitzer
Private

Originally Posted by LBSheep
Why dont we just leave it be. if its not broke dont fix it... I dont want to move any of my characters (TR, VS, NC) nor lose them. I worked my ass off getting my characters to where they are and dont feel like I should lose any of them. and if i am paying to play then I am paying to play on any server and any character i want, when i want...
First off, I think the trend that poll is showing is that most people think it *is* broken.

Second, the "I pay to play" argument doesn't hold much water. I pay just as much to play as you do, but I'm okay with having only one empire per server. In exchange though, I want an automatic "I win" button that allows me to win any fight or instantly capture any base...because I pay to play and I'm paying to win where I want, when I want....
Old 2004-11-03, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Untouchable
Private

The problem with adding a -X to someones name if they choose to have a character transfer empires, is what if they originally have a name like "*****TR" and want to change that character to NC? It is probably a bit early to be thinking of these things anyway lol, but it might be easier just to be able to entirely change your characters name? Or at least edit it a little bit.
Old 2004-11-04, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
juggalokilla
Sergeant

one question that was not clarified was if you shoose to keep your characters on that server, would you have the option to change that characters empire instead of moving to another server? I have a tr br20 cr4 on emerald and 1 vs thats br16 cr1 on same server. id rather switch it from vs to tr so i can play with it that character on the server i always play on once my main is maxed out. If not I'll have to start from scratch on my next character.

I have 2 empire characters per server and know what factions i would pick on each cause i only prefer the underdog but my only other tr character, on werner is low level cause i didnt like tr there, vs is my favorite there. Saying that, i agree there should be one empire per server.

Quick note also: There still needs to be a way to keep from having a majority of people pick a certian empire as top then having a permenent high population balance
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion