Planetside2.com Live Map - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: to see secret link press alt+F4
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-12-08, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GTGD
First Sergeant

Planetside2.com Live Map

I'm sure most of you guys remember the old Planetside.com and how it had a live feed of territories and who owned them, as well as the ability to scroll through a timeline and see what the hell happened to your home continents as your teammates dicked around on Cyssorside.

It was one of the simple things that impressed me most and really made the persisting battles feel real; even when you weren't there, you know the battlefield was constantly changing and you could follow it when you weren't at your desktop.

I also loved how it declared a "winner for the day", since it really gave you a tangible goal to work to each day (as you could never "win", and even sanc locking was very few and far between).

It really strikes me as a no-brainer, especially considering the developments since the original. Imagine checking an app on your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to see what is going on from just about anywhere. Who else want to see this return for PS2?
Old 2011-12-08, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Planetside2.com Live Map

Me!
Old 2011-12-08, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Who checks the status of a game from home? You're like the guys at work who 'watch' football games on some website spreadsheet.

Remarkably odd behavior.
Old 2011-12-08, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

They'll probably have something available, but they've also said that they will make loads of data available and will look to the community to parse and present the data. They might buy the best sites for their own use. But I hope they do something themselves out of the gate too.
Old 2011-12-08, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

I'd like it, I spend a lot of time online without being able to play.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-08, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Wrong thread I think..

This would be really cool - I would assume they will do this out of the gate. That was a really neat feature I was sad when it disappeared.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-12-08, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Wrong thread I think..

This would be really cool - I would assume they will do this out of the gate. That was a really neat feature I was sad when it disappeared.
LOL WTF, I can swear I posted it in "competition pressure"...

Can you please move my post?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-12-08, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Marsman
Major

If I recall one of the early talks about PS2, I believe they said this would be something they would show players when joining the server. i.e. A world map with a time-lapse view of captures, troop movement, orders, etc.. as part of the missioning system.

One of the things that was tough in PS1 was: you had no idea where the "push" was, or the recent CR5 orders were if you were just coming into the game. I always thought they should have set up a "war room" in the sanctuaries that showed that type of time-lapse continent view of the captures, and a buffer of the last let say 30 min of CR5 broadcasts so you would have some idea of where the "front lines" were and what the empire's plan of attack was . This type of information would have allowed you to make an informed decision on where to go.

As I understand that early PS2 discussion, this is the intent of such a system along with the missioning system. Long needed imo
Old 2011-12-08, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I used to check the map while at work. I loved that thing.
Old 2011-12-08, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
duck
Sergeant

Yes. Technology has really advanced since PS1 so I expect them to have features like a live map on their website.

I also hope they make a free iPhone app displaying the map, territories, stats, being able to read and post outfit messages, etc.
Old 2011-12-08, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Graywolves
General

Dude, seeing the progress of the war and what generally happened between gaming sessions was fucking awesome.
Old 2011-12-08, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Marsman View Post
If I recall one of the early talks about PS2, I believe they said this would be something they would show players when joining the server. i.e. A world map with a time-lapse view of captures, troop movement, orders, etc.. as part of the missioning system.

One of the things that was tough in PS1 was: you had no idea where the "push" was, or the recent CR5 orders were if you were just coming into the game. I always thought they should have set up a "war room" in the sanctuaries that showed that type of time-lapse continent view of the captures, and a buffer of the last let say 30 min of CR5 broadcasts so you would have some idea of where the "front lines" were and what the empire's plan of attack was . This type of information would have allowed you to make an informed decision on where to go.

As I understand that early PS2 discussion, this is the intent of such a system along with the missioning system. Long needed imo
The whole war room idea is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. Having a large central display in each base that can be clicked on by players certed in command to bring up camera feeds from field units, deployables, security cams, etc, would be amazing. It would also give the guys guarding the CC something to watch before the room gets breached.
Old 2011-12-08, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
FHMathew
Corporal

Oh definitely a cool idea, having your commanders and empire leaders all in there planning the battles, Would be a very nice and immerse experience for commanders.
Old 2011-12-09, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

I do hope there will be a way to win the map this time. Then medals get handed out to people who contributed to the victory, and the map gets reset.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Coreldan
Colonel

I don't want resetting maps. Takes away persistancy. I wouldn't mind some amount of time when the cont is locked if one faction seals the deal. Perhaps like 30 mins before the stuff can be contested again, mainly to have a way to actually "win" a continent so that there wont be a small group trying to push out for days over the same cont even if they lost it ages ago. I like some kind of feeling that "ok, we won it now", but resetting is just meh in a game like this. If I wanna play rounds, Ill go play any other online FPS.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion