Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the: Why do "Home of the" quotes always get accepted?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

So then merely providing players with a tactical choice doesn't necessarily make it a good inclusion.

I actually wonder if the reverse wouldn't be better? A quick spurt of mobility in exchange for firing capability. Something like a dash/slide/leap/roll etc.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I want a poll so I can just vote no.
Is there a way to add a poll to this post? I'd love to do that but I don't see the option.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
So then merely providing players with a tactical choice doesn't necessarily make it a good inclusion.

I actually wonder if the reverse wouldn't be better? A quick spurt of mobility in exchange for firing capability. Something like a dash/slide/leap/roll etc.
Conceded, and it might be difficult in the engine to boot. But it provides a meaningful mechanic in similar games, and so dismissing it with prejudice sans play is a bridge too far, methinks.

Found me a quote button this time.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
SirDart
Private

Prone - unmentioned benefits:
- Could prone in front of oncoming vehicles to avoid being struck (imagine Magrider floating over you) Vanguard clearance may not be sufficient.
- Imagine confusion of running into a room with lots of dead soldiers, and several prone infantry, very hard to tell apart.

More Obvious Pros:
- Harder to spot
- Smaller Profile from ground units
- Steadier shot

Cons:
- Any vehicle or Max Rides over you (wheel contact), you would be dead as a larger surface would get squishied
- Air units may be able to spot you easily
- Movement is very limited
- Arc of aim greatly reduced (perhaps -25 to +10 degrees angle)
- Limited usefulness in close quarters combat

I could see only Infiltrators having this ability, and even then the fact that Magriders maybe couldn't run over them, might actually add imbalance to the factions!

I would see the main use here being only Snipers in far away hillsides camping bases and outposts.

Last edited by SirDart; 2012-06-01 at 10:45 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Nah. Encourages camping more than action.
Old 2012-06-02, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
Vagabond
Private

I could care less if prone was in this game or not, but the arguments against prone seem ridiculous and exaggerated. I am wondering how people can tell how prone significantly slows gameplay. There really is no proof for that. In fact, if people are allowed to make that argument, I could easily say that going prone increases my chances of surviving in many situations, therefore I would be able to contribute more to my faction (since I'm not dead, you know). I've been playing a lot of BF3 lately and prone certainly does not seem to slow down gameplay, considering the ones that tend to go prone are either snipers, support, or people taking cover.

Also, making the claim that an army sized group of players will go prone in the middle of battle is ridiculous and not likely to happen unless it were a bunch of outfits trolling. I do not think it will promote camping either. Those who camp will camp, regardless of the stance they are composing. Camping is a legitimate tactic anyway and be a great method to defend a point. Speaking of which, I do not see an issue with dolphin diving either. It makes for easier headshots in my experience (as is with prone in general anyhow).

Overall, it does not seem that having prone or not would make a significant difference. If there is no prone, people will crouch. People will adjust to that mechanic and will be taking cover in one form or another, whether they are snipers or medics and what have you.

OP did bring up a good point however. Forum users and vets tend to be vocal minorities. These days, casual players make up the bulk of a lot of games (which is why CoD and BF3 are in the state that they are in). Prone is a feature that is found in most games and so casual players may find the omission of prone an outdated feature. And since casual players make up the bulk of most games (and PS2 will be relying on large populations), any potential turn off could easily make or break a game. Not saying that minority opinion is insignificant, but could be unpopular and literally repel newer, less informed players (see: elitism).
Old 2012-06-02, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I could care less if prone was in this game or not, but the arguments against prone seem ridiculous and exaggerated. I am wondering how people can tell how prone significantly slows gameplay. There really is no proof for that. In fact, if people are allowed to make that argument, I could easily say that going prone increases my chances of surviving in many situations, therefore I would be able to contribute more to my faction (since I'm not dead, you know). I've been playing a lot of BF3 lately and prone certainly does not seem to slow down gameplay, considering the ones that tend to go prone are either snipers, support, or people taking cover.

Also, making the claim that an army sized group of players will go prone in the middle of battle is ridiculous and not likely to happen unless it were a bunch of outfits trolling. I do not think it will promote camping either. Those who camp will camp, regardless of the stance they are composing. Camping is a legitimate tactic anyway and be a great method to defend a point. Speaking of which, I do not see an issue with dolphin diving either. It makes for easier headshots in my experience (as is with prone in general anyhow).

Overall, it does not seem that having prone or not would make a significant difference. If there is no prone, people will crouch. People will adjust to that mechanic and will be taking cover in one form or another, whether they are snipers or medics and what have you.

OP did bring up a good point however. Forum users and vets tend to be vocal minorities. These days, casual players make up the bulk of a lot of games (which is why CoD and BF3 are in the state that they are in). Prone is a feature that is found in most games and so casual players may find the omission of prone an outdated feature. And since casual players make up the bulk of most games (and PS2 will be relying on large populations), any potential turn off could easily make or break a game. Not saying that minority opinion is insignificant, but could be unpopular and literally repel newer, less informed players (see: elitism).
Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly. Many of the vets in here are terrified of change and living in 2003.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly. Many of the vets in here are terrified of change and living in 2003.
I hear games are better in 2012

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-02, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I hear games are better in 2012

If Quake was done today - YouTube
That's so true. God damn. I remember when games used to be good. But sadly we have these people that want every damned game to be a cookie cutter piece of shit.

From all of the comments on youtube, to most of the new people on this forum, 'It looks like halo" "lawlz BF ripoff" "where iz the m16 and stuffz?" "PUT EVERYTHING FROM BATTLEFIELD IN TO THIS GAME"

Go away.

I sound way overly dramatic but PS2 is my last hope for gaming. All these FPS clones bore me to death, there is no originality in RPGs, I was especially looking forwards to an Elder Scrolls MMO, but after I saw what they were doing with it, I lost all hope in Bethesda. Looks just like WoW. There are no games on the horizon but PS2 that have my interest.

I hope I can play PS2 for many years to come. If this game manages to fail...

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-06-02 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
Bags
Lieutenant General

Wait, someone really asked where the m16 is? Granted, it's my favorite AR, but still...
Old 2012-06-02, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Wait, someone really asked where the m16 is? Granted, it's my favorite AR, but still...
i don't know about the M16. But the AN-94 is pretty cool. Or other cool Russian weapons.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Yeah man. Go read through TB's youtube videos. Some of the damn commenters make me want to rip my sack off.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
Bags
Lieutenant General

Gauss is cooler than any rl rifle I've seen though.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
We're not terrified... it's just that we want to play a successor to Planetside, not an mmo version of whatever shooters are popular these days.

Kissing the dirt just looks awful; I don't like that pose on my miniatures and I sure as hell don't want to see it in an FPS game. You've already got ADS; there's no reason to add more incentive to stop in place.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Yeah man. Go read through TB's youtube videos. Some of the damn commenters make me want to rip my sack off.
I couldn't be bothered looking for those comments, but i mostly saw people saying is this free to play, then talking about camo and stuff. Saw nothing on guns.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion