NPC's in planetside? - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because spamming outfit chat isn't enough...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-20, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: NPC's in planetside?

@Furber, I will need to kill you in-game a few times for resurrecting this topic from its grave on page 24. >.<

No AI, ever. Destroys the whole point to a multiplayer game... (you know... _multi_ . . _player_)

Edit: Malorn, I think it is because no one wants AI in the game, and we are afraid the devs will see it and get bad ideas...

Last edited by SniperSteve; 2012-04-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2012-04-20, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by XLynxX View Post
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the idea of an NPC empire go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Calm down dude take it easy try to make the difference between a game and the real life ! thanks !
Old 2012-04-20, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
Stew
Major

And on the topic i dont really care about NPC i prefere player driven contents but down the road having a (( FAUna )) like frogs and crocodiles in the swamp and a few little lizard in the desert would not hurt the gameplay it will had flavor and immersion to the game !

So dont be rude he said thats the NPC are not Bots who play agains players

The original post is about NPC thats make the wold having an extra flavor !

And i think he is right if he talk about FAUNA having few animals crossing ur way few times couls be cool and wouldnt hurt anyones !
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-20, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Edit: Malorn, I think it is because no one wants AI in the game, and we are afraid the devs will see it and get bad ideas...
They already have bad ideas! I've seen a NPC faction/PVE being talked about in their long-term plan at least twice. Reminding them how terrible of an idea this is might help purge it from their minds.
Old 2012-04-20, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
The Kush
Captain

No.
Old 2012-04-20, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
kertvon
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Calm down dude take it easy try to make the difference between a game and the real life ! thanks !
FYI:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/

Awesome movie.
Old 2012-04-21, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #247
Hooah
Private

I wouldn't min for roaming NPC life forms if the NPC doesn't have a big impact when it comes to gameplay.
I'd prefer not like to get a mission that says "I need you to kill X of Y"

They have to be easy to kill and the majority of them didn't aggro.

(Wouldn't it have been better with a poll?)

Last edited by Hooah; 2012-04-21 at 04:47 AM.
Old 2012-04-21, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #248
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I don't see the need for NPCs in this game so I'm against.
Old 2012-04-21, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #249
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
Well I hate to say it but Planetside 1 was supposed to have them, but they were not added because back then they wanted to pre-load every texture in the game beforehand to guarantee a seamless experience, and with slow load times of the day, decided it wasn't worth it. At least that was my understanding.

Personally I want to fight in an interesting and living world, not a world devoid of all interesting features like small animals. That kind of thing, as long as they're passive, will only add to the experience of the game, not detract.

Now here's a picture of some velociraptors in the game engine:

I like these ideas, it makes sense mobs wouldn't be near fighting anyways, so if you were alone, and not fighting, that's where they'd be.
I agree few passive creature even some deadly one in swamp like crocodile could be cool if possible witht eh engine limitation
Old 2012-04-21, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #250
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

It would be nice but would cause an additional drain on server resources which should be reserved for more players, more vehicles and more carnage.
Old 2012-04-21, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #251
Alexious
Private

I actually think that NPC would be a nice addition.

The whole mass-conflict based gameplay is most awesome, but eventually adding NPCs to some zones could only bring more variation. For example, they could attack randomly and be a disrupting factor for this or that battle.
Old 2012-04-21, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
Bluecewe
Private

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
The entire point of this game is players....and ONLY players running around.

Go back to WoW for your precious NPCs.
To be fair to the guy I think he is referring to having an animal ecosystem which would provide another layer of resources. There is little difference between minerals and animals as resource types other than visuals.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

No.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

While it is more for the game... and may make it feel more alive or some such... it is a distraction. There is nothing functional about animals or random scientists or civilians that would or should contribute to the game other than the feel. You could say the scenery isn't functional, but it is as it can be used by the players. So while it would be cool to see, it just isn't something that i'd want them to spend time and money on given it will largely be ignored if not a hinderance. As an example, most people turn off the vegetation for the advantage it gives to not have it visually. Perhaps... maybe... if they really want it, animals should be similarly able to be turned off, but once again, if that is the case why bother? Unlike a random bush or weeds, it is very hard and complex to make animals and animations for them and perhaps basic AI.
Old 2012-04-22, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #255
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
No to NPC... ever.

Planetside is and should always be a player driven persistent combat fps. No free kills / points / kudos for killing easy targets.
You didn't even read the post.

I'm all for it. Soldiers gotta have someone to fight for other then other soldiers who can do their own damn fighting.

And yes there is too much backstory involving non-combatants to not feature it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion