75mm Cannon? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So THIS is why kids fail school......
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-24, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Daeda1us
Private

75mm Cannon?

I've got some issues with the 75mm cannon found on the Lightning and the Sunderer. Does it do any damage?! Last night I finally reached CR8 and picked up the lightning cert. The chain gun rawks vs. troops, but the 75mm blows against anything but maxes. Many times last night I stumbled upon an enemy AMS and I started pummeling it with the 75mm. Not once did I destroy one. And I'm positive I was hitting it (although earlier I had 3 decimator rockets fly THROUGH an AMS). Each time a VS with their anti-tank weapon waxed me.

Does it also seem silly that the 75mm and the 150mm have the same trajectory/velocity. I'd think with the lighter shell, the 75mm would have a flatter/faster balistic flight pattern.

Any thoughts?
Old 2003-07-24, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
00AgentDuck
Sergeant Major

Well the ams is a very strong vechicle. When I was an ams driver it took loads of fire before it finally went down. With guns you have less hope with detroying an ams. I had about 5 people shooting MA weapons at my ams in several minutes it was still in good condition. I picked it up for alittle bit because of it's armor and it can run people over. But now I dropped it for the magmower, works much better .
Old 2003-07-24, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
00AgentDuck
Sergeant Major

oh wait I thought you meant the machine gun on the lightning, I didn't even see sunderer. My bad, but ams's can still take alot of firepower.
Old 2003-07-24, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SweetTater
Corporal

I know I have to reload once when trying to blow up an AMS with a lightning. That means over 20 direct shots with the 75mm cannon..
Old 2003-07-24, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

it takes a long time, but it can be done. Its not bad for running amss down, but you prob cant kill a deployed one since you can die to a few nades from the people that are spawning there.

*I still say the lighting needs +20% armor and the skeeter needs +30-50% firepower vs air*
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-07-24, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Nixon
Corporal

There appears to be a bug that allows shots to fire straight through the center of an AMS, where the respawn tubes are located. Aim for the front driver cab or aft terminal to be sure your shots count. Also, the AMS is one of the strongest vehicles in the game, probably second only to the Sunderer and Galaxy. It will take a couple of clips to take it down.

As for the power of the 75mm, it has a decent amount of splash damage. MAXs will go down with a few direct hits, and the cannon works great against ground troops if you have time to set off a few blasts. Works well when they're moving in groups, since the splash is decent. I tend to only use the chain gun against fast-moving air targets or when infantry are practically on my bumper.

If you don't believe that it's doing damage, go ahead and pick up Advanced Targeting and you'll see how much damage you're doing.

The Lightning is best used in hit-and-run tactics, not one-on-one stand offs. Always keep moving and take advantage of its speed and low profile. Never hand around an enemy Sunderer or heavy tank, and try to pick more on lighter vehicles, MAXs, and emplacements. The Lightning always works well as an artillery piece, and is one of the best vehicles when taking down turrets and deployed AMSs from afar. Just line up your tracks parallel to what you're shooting at over a long distance and you'll be able to strafe from their perspective, making Decimator and Rocklet rounds miss you by a mile.
Old 2003-07-24, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Daeda1us
Private

Originally posted by Nixon
Just line up your tracks parallel to what you're shooting at over a long distance and you'll be able to strafe from their perspective, making Decimator and Rocklet rounds miss you by a mile.
Now that is probably the best piece of advice I've read regarding the lightning! Thanks!
Old 2003-07-24, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Right on Nixon! Glad to see more Lightning drivers taken to the field with some tought for tactics.

Use the 12mm when in close against infantry. Only use the 75mm on infantry when at a distance. At distance the 12mm COF starts to expand wildly and you'll be better off with the 75mm until they get closer.

It takes a little over a magazine and a half of 75mm rounds to take out an AMS. When you find a deployed AMS try to engage at a distance to limit the amount of damage you may accrue from spawners. If you can, attack it from the rear so that you can hit the equipment terminal. This makes it almost impossible for spawning troops to grab any gear.

If you catch an AMS moving and he suddenly stops, quickly move to the side of the AMS and fire into the door on either side. You then have 50% chance of catching the driver if he tries to bail. TR AMS drivers will commonly bail and try to take you out with the Phoenix. There are other weapons that are just as hurtful, so be aware of any sudden stops and be prepared to kill the driver first.

Practice, practice, practice with the 75mm and try your best to get direct hits every time. I see a lot of new guys who don't aim high enough and too many of their rounds land in front of the enemy. The Lightning has a huge ammo loadout and fast reload so don't be afraid to walk your rounds into the target if you're not used to the projectiles arc or you're bad at guessing ranges.
Old 2003-07-24, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: 75mm Cannon?

Originally posted by Daeda1us
I've got some issues with the 75mm cannon found on the Lightning and the Sunderer. Does it do any damage?! Last night I finally reached CR8 and picked up the lightning cert. The chain gun rawks vs. troops, but the 75mm blows against anything but maxes. Many times last night I stumbled upon an enemy AMS and I started pummeling it with the 75mm. Not once did I destroy one. And I'm positive I was hitting it (although earlier I had 3 decimator rockets fly THROUGH an AMS). Each time a VS with their anti-tank weapon waxed me.

Does it also seem silly that the 75mm and the 150mm have the same trajectory/velocity. I'd think with the lighter shell, the 75mm would have a flatter/faster balistic flight pattern.

Any thoughts?
I really don't mean to nit-pick, but what do you get with CR 8?
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2003-07-24, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Daeda1us
Private

Re: Re: 75mm Cannon?

Originally posted by Lonehunter187
I really don't mean to nit-pick, but what do you get with CR 8?
If you're refering to the implant, I got surge.
Old 2003-07-24, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
RUEN
Staff Sergeant

If you're refering to the implant, I got surge.
What i think Lonehunter is trying to get at, is that there is no CR8, you're probably refering to BR8, just a little joke of his.
Old 2003-07-24, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Daeda1us
Private

Shit I always do that. I keep thinking that CR stands for Combat Rank, not Command Rank... d'oh.
Old 2003-07-24, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Revolver
Second Lieutenant

hehe I actually went through that when I first started. People said BR12CR2 LFS, and I thought that CR was Capture Rank--how many caps u had. I still look back and wonder how the hell I could've thought that

Point is, you're not alone

And back on-topic, AMS has the thickest armor in the game. I just wish SOE would release their numbers! And for the reason the middle of the ams is 'hollow', its so that if you undeploy an AMS with ppl still in the tubes, they go through it, not get stuck in the AMS.

Last edited by Revolver; 2003-07-24 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2003-07-24, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Revolver
Second Lieutenant

Originally posted by Nixon
Just line up your tracks parallel to what you're shooting at over a long distance and you'll be able to strafe from their perspective, making Decimator and Rocklet rounds miss you by a mile.
You mean perpendicular, right? Cuz if you're parallel to the enemy, youll just be moving closer or farther to them
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion