High rate of fire miniguns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: get back to work
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-15, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AidanofVT
Private

Re: Suggestion Box

Many games have 'miniguns'; very few actually fire at the rate that a minigun or chaingun actually does (50 rounds per second or more). For added planetside fun, consider adding something like this, probably exclusively to the mosquito and/or the prowler coaxial turret. I understand that this might be difficult for game balance, but other components can always be nerfed. It is important to understand just what a rate of fire I am talking about, if you don't already know than it might help to take a look at this video:
I understand that joystick support is planned for aircraft. I think that, as part of this, there should be a 'flight-sim' mode. This should include extra controls such as manual landing gear, tail rudder, joystick throttle, and extra camera controls. Most importantly should be the control change to landing mode. It should go from the standard pitch-yaw-angle of attack controls, to aircraft tilt, like a helicopter. It is essential that a 'tail-rotor' control is included in landing mode. The point of this is to create extra difficulty. A game within the game. Players choosing this option might feel proud of a skilled landing under fire, and I expect it would feel (and look) pretty awesome.

Speaking of landing gear, perhaps a useful upgrade/addon would be wheel landing gear. This would allow players to land (or crash) at speed and take no/less damage. It would also reduce the risk involved in things like very-low-altitude ATV drops. Manually deploying this feature during low altitude acrobatics might enable a figurative 'safety net', but lower air speed through increases air-friction. On the planned arctic continent perhaps the default skid landing gear would have the same function but at no upgrade cost. It might be an interesting deviation from standard gameplay and give the continent some personality when any damaged pilot has a chance to redeem themselves through skill with a crash landing on the open tundra.
Old 2012-06-15, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Re: High rate of fire miniguns

For the mosquito i don't see any problem with it. I'll just kill it with my scythe anyway.
Old 2012-06-15, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Clonehunter
Private

Not sure about the whole Flight Sim mode other than optional I guess (as I think you kinda implied), say for those who play Flight Sims, though in truth not sure if it'd really be that important.

However, a minigun perhaps like the one in the video would be interesting for the sake of more realism though, and it would be probably balanced well. SO I support the minigun idea, that'd be kinda neat.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

I agree that miniguns in games are often lackluster in comparison to the real thing, and despite being slightly harder to balance, I don't think there's a good excuse for that.

You can balance an extremely high RoF minigun with low damage per shot, quickly expanding reticule (Accuracy must be controlled) and a quickly emptying magazine to create weapon that is truly spectacular, but also balanced.

Relative inaccuracy and relatively small magazine means that while the weapon looks impressive blazing away, an skilled user will fire in bursts or get in close where the spread won't effect it so negatively.
Old 2012-06-16, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rendar
Private

Call me Crazy,

But my 2 friends and I plan to mostly play this game as a liberator crew. And if the weapons hold true from TB's loverator video. Well be rolling with Pilot Minigun, Belly Minigun, and Tail Gunner Anti-Infantry Mini-gun.

We hope to be viable as very low flying ground infantry support.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

The problem with extremely high ROF weapons isn't balancing, it is netcode. making a bullet deal 0.15dmg to balance it out is the easy part. I don't know much about coding or networking so I'm not going to pretend that I do. What I do know is that in other games the company artificially portrayed those ROF by adding more tracers to the animation, but leaving the bullets at a far lower ROF. The reason was for performance.
Old 2012-06-17, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
The problem with extremely high ROF weapons isn't balancing, it is netcode. making a bullet deal 0.15dmg to balance it out is the easy part. I don't know much about coding or networking so I'm not going to pretend that I do. What I do know is that in other games the company artificially portrayed those ROF by adding more tracers to the animation, but leaving the bullets at a far lower ROF. The reason was for performance.
Games that implement them don't actually have a high rof, they just make it seem like they do with graphical effects and the sound.

Instead of 3000 rounds per minute at 0.15dmg, it will shoot 300 rounds per minute at 1.5 damage, but the particle effects will look like 3000, and they'll have a minigun sound effect.

Pretty much indistinguishable.

Edit: Derp. I didn't read far enough.. you already said that.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-06-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2012-06-17, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
LillRutger
Private

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Games that implement them don't actually have a high rof, they just make it seem like they do with graphical effects and the sound.

Instead of 3000 rounds per minute at 0.15dmg, it will shoot 300 rounds per minute at 1.5 damage, but the particle effects will look like 3000, and they'll have a minigun sound effect.

Pretty much indistinguishable.
Which was pretty much exactly what he said.
Old 2012-06-17, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Oh, well there is that ^ (Make it simply appear to fire faster). Sounds like that's pretty much the best way of going about it.
Old 2012-06-17, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

I think they want to avoid faking effects like that, they like having everything be "real" without added sound or visuals. Also an artificial number of bullets could easily mislead the shooter/target as to actual bullet spread, particularly with the kind of engine and bullet physics they have... and if you're going to give the animation all adequate behavior you'll still have performance issues.

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-06-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
super pretendo
First Sergeant

It's easy to balance, it's basically a "stream" anyway, sounds good

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault