Centralized UI Awesomeness - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It has you
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Centralized UI Awesomeness

In addition to the cycler irons gripe, I did want to point out something really awesome. Those of you might remember me being somewhat critical of the UI in the GDC video. Well there's some awesome improvements. Maybe they had it planned all along, but I'd like to think that someone took my feedback to heart. Regardless, thank you!

The Centralized UI Option! I do love how you have a centralized UI option which some people were using. I very much liked this. I would like tose the minimap also more centralized in that option but it adheres very well to good interface design principles.

For those who don't know what I mean, look here (6:20 in the day 1 stream, part 1):

I've outlined the core UI elements since they are sort of hard to see in this screenshot due to the red critical health indicator tinting the screen. This is a crappy picture that doesn't give the UI element a lot of justice, but int he video you can see that the health indicator is actually pulsing a bit and neither it nor the ammo indicator show unless they are not full. This is a great no-news-is-good-news approach to keep the UI from being cluttered and only showing you important information.

And here is a different shot from a light assault who just used his jetpack and fired a single round (shows jetpack energy & ammo simultaneously)

Note that the current ammo supply is listed on the right side so you know how much is in your current magazine.

Energy is on the left side opposite current magazine.

Health/shield is below the crosshair in a nice convenient spot.

Detailed ammo/resource information is bottom-center.

Fantastic! Love it! Thank you for adding this, I really like the take on it. It seems incomplete because the map is out of place but perhaps its a work in progress and the minimap will be changed a bit so it isn't all off in a corner and also more centrally located.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Centralized UI Awesomeness

Good post Malorn
Old 2012-06-07, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Razicator
First Sergeant

Reminds me of the addons WoW had that enabled this waaay back. I forget the name now, Curse mod? Titan panel?

If actually we can mod the game just like WoW, that'll be freakin awesome. Custom UIs, custom alerts, custom preset class loadouts (beyond the limit), etc
Old 2012-06-07, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Spoof
Corporal

Nearly posted about this yesterday, but was too lazy :P

I love it, really immersive and unobtrusive.

I just hope we can position the map where we like.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

It does indeed look great, but I think I personally prefer the more classic UI.

That said, I'd really want some "proof" of them actually having a compass rose.. They said it would also be a toggleable option, but we havnt seen it yet afaik. The "compass on top bar" is a horrible design and pretty much negates the whole point of having it

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-07, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Daffan
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
Reminds me of the addons WoW had that enabled this waaay back. I forget the name now, Curse mod? Titan panel?

If actually we can mod the game just like WoW, that'll be freakin awesome. Custom UIs, custom alerts, custom preset class loadouts (beyond the limit), etc
Icehudd i believe did the bars on the sides, for information on resources/health

But this is great and i did see it too!
Old 2012-06-07, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

The UI is awesome! I saw them doing some initial testing on it when I was out there and I was impressed. I think it is a great option to have for those who want to use it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-07, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

With bloody screen so real obscuring the edges, that might just be a very useful option.

And yes I know it's not bloody screen but it amounts to the same thing.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I can dig it, as long as its optional. Sometimes, I had a real issue with it in Global agenda.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The UI is awesome! I saw them doing some initial testing on it when I was out there and I was impressed. I think it is a great option to have for those who want to use it.
Did you see if there was more UI-customisation, or just switching around the locations?

Like customisable a hitindicator would be baller, both ion form and color, cause I gotta admit the current yellow one is kinda poopy. :x

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
With bloody screen so real obscuring the edges, that might just be a very useful option.

And yes I know it's not bloody screen but it amounts to the same thing.
It isn't even nearly the same as BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL.

The bloody screen is mainly a healthdisplay, while here it is only used to show critical health afaik.
And it's not even blood, but a red outline of your screen, which has been in pretty much every shooter ever so far.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-06-07 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

I am in love with the UI it shows you everything you needs and does not clutter the screen.Games like bf3 do not even have a good mini map and is filled with useless information and 3d spotting triangles.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
I am in love with the UI it shows you everything you needs and does not clutter the screen.Games like bf3 do not even have a good mini map and is filled with useless information and 3d spotting triangles.
Well, not to rain on your parade, but watch the E3 footage closer.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MercDT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
It does indeed look great, but I think I personally prefer the more classic UI.

That said, I'd really want some "proof" of them actually having a compass rose.. They said it would also be a toggleable option, but we havnt seen it yet afaik. The "compass on top bar" is a horrible design and pretty much negates the whole point of having it
Ever since I played Project Reality, I feel that it's essential to have a compass rose at the bottom/top of the screen to call out contacts by degrees. I will be pretty sad if PS2 doesn't have it...and really it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

Last edited by MercDT; 2012-06-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MercDT View Post
Ever since I played Project Reality, I feel that it's essential to have a compass rose at the bottom/top of the screen to call out contacts by degrees. I will pretty sad if PS2 doesn't have it...and really it shouldn't be that hard to implement.
Compass, w/o degrees though, is on top of the minimap.

Agree though that being able to put it on top or on the bottom of the screen, preferably with degrees, would be win.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

The UI is looking great. Hope they give us the option to turn the bloody screen off though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion