Gameplay: Mobile Command Centers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A Documentary By Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-07, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
TerranRoughneck
Private

Mobile Command Centers

This idea has been bangin' around in my head for some time and it seems like a good one to me but thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

So we all know there's going to be command roles you can certify in to and ultimately there will be those who become legitimate and indispensable generals on the battlefield. What isn't 100% clear(to me anyway) is how they will access their commander abilities in game or what sort of tactical view/map they will have access to. I assume they'll just have some sort of BF2 style system where they pull up a specific commander screen to do all these things, which is fine, I guess. Just not very involving and leaves them pretty vulnerable while just standing around with their nose in a map.

But what if, instead, they could(or had to) spawn a mobile command center to gain access to the more powerful commander abilities like orbital strikes? I envision something like a giant Surrender that could role into position near an enemy base then deploying into a small base. Commanders would then hop into the back, hop into the command console and then do their thing with out worrying about a stray infiltrator taking him out half way through the battle. The command console would grant access to a more detailed, localized map where they would have all active squads in the area listed with the ability to give orders in a RTS esque style.

I don't picture it having any direct combat abilities except maybe a machine gun turret or two but it could have other abilities; all of which would work really well with the existing customization/cert system. Something like a scanner that reveals enemies in a certain radius around the CC, spawn tubes, vehicle airdrops/spawning, maybe a radar jammer so friendly units can't be spotted as easily, maybe even a cloaking field similar to PS1.

Why I think this would be a good addition to the gameplay is that it would add just that extra little bit of realism to logistics. The CC would be a "VIP" of sorts needing protection; imagine having your main battle force roll in while another secondary force takes the high ground to set up a CC to assist with the assault. Engineers could set up turrets and barricades around it and essentially make a entirely player created Forward Operating Base. It also gives the defenders an objective they could attack that could really disrupt the attackers communication and organization; turning the tide of battle.

Some buddies of mine mentioned the possibility of it being always mobile but I personally feel that would make it a bit OP. Driving somewhere, deploying, then repacking and moving somewhere else seems legit but I think it would be too easy to just have the CC driving circles around a base to avoid airstrikes or counter-offensives.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Old 2012-07-07, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CaptnSlo
Private

Re: Mobile Command Centers

I was thinking about the same idea and you beat me to the punch.

Here are my thoughts with the Mobile Command Centers. They should be limited to 1 per continent. I would also nick name them Brigade Command Centers because I would have have seats for Bridages commander and the three battalion commanders.

You can either have a ground command center or air command center, but once again are only limited to one (1) per continent. You can not have both air and ground on the same continent, so you have to pick your choice for the flight at that time.

The ground brigade command center would have an option to track enemy ground movement - 1km radius for 2km diameter (only when system on board is deployed which can only happen when not moving). For the ground command center I would agree on using a Sunderer, but I would put a sat dish on top with a ton (5-10) antennas. The antennas would be used to communicate to the companies/platoon command center.

The company/platoon command center would be on the front line and would have seats for the driver, company commander, three platoon leaders, and 50cal gunner. This vechicle would be required to give the data locational data to the bridage command vechicles. Without the platoon command centers the brigade command center would not have access to the locational date of troops on the ground and in the air. Orbital strikes can not be launched from this command center. Orbital strikes can only be launched from the brigade command centers. Once again these can only be in opetation when they are not moving and in deployed mode. These can track freindly troops in your platoon/company up to .25km radius (.5km diameter) and if your troops are outside of that area they do not show up on any commanders screen either platoon/company or brigade command centers. You can have as many company/platoon command centers as you want because they are just being used as a relay unit to the bridage command centers. On the top of this vechicle would be only four (4) antennas and no sat link. This would also be a Sunderer type of vechicle.

The air brigade command center will allow for two options but only one can be active at one time. Those two options would be for a 1km radius (2km diameter) radar jammer or rader. Both these options would have a use time and a cool down timer because the aircraft is always moving. I would say maybe something like 5mins of use and it has a 10min cool down timer before it can be used again. This could be tweaked depending on what the GM's think is the best time for operational use for the best game play. For the air command ship we could use a Galaxy that has a sat link on top and a ton (5-10) antennas. The antennas would be used to communicate to the companies/platoon command center.

Seating for the brigade command center would be as follows driver/pilot, commander, and three battalion commanders

From brigade command centers I do agree with the idea of having the orbital strikes being launched from them. None of these command centers would have any weapons attached except for the company/platoon unit which only has one (1) 50cal gunner seat. The brigade command centers would have to be protected by other means from attacks which would use up other resources (ie tanks and aircraft) to protect them. All command centers will be able to track and give orders to units while moving for those sitting in the command seats. They would only be able to give orders to the unit/commander under them. They can not give orders directly to an individual it has to go from commander to commander. It is up to that leader how he wants to task that unit to follow that order.

3 Squads = 1 Platoon (1st Commander)
3 Platoons = 1 Company (2nd Commander)
3 Companies = 1 Battalion (3rd Commander)
3 Battalions = 1 Brigade (4th Commander)

The commands would go from the 4th commander on down. Also on the screen you should be able to color code your units what you want them to be and name them for your tactical purpose.

I know in the real military that the sizes are much bigger, but for PS2 I have made it easy to follow with the sizes of units.

What are your thoughts? I think it would be great to have the commanders to have some sort of control on the battlefield and the sizes and ranges could be tweaked to what is best for game play.

You will NOT be able to spawn or deploy anything from any of the command centers. The command centers are just used for tactical means and not deployment sites for troops or anything else.

Last edited by CaptnSlo; 2012-07-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2012-07-07, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zekeen
Major

Mobile Command Centers is a good idea, though I think any "limited to 1 per continent" vehicle is almost a no go for this game (with 2000 players, we have one who creates the limited craft?)

I created a more simple concept for a similar thing in a post on Galaxy Mods. It was basically a Galaxy with enhanced passenger cameras and a radar dish on top for enhanced viewing of the battlefield.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40939

Strangely enough, this post was initially just on drop pods for Galaxies. I made it 2 weeks before Higby announced that mod feature. So he may have seen it, and maybe we'll be getting command mods for certain vehicles. So mobile command centers is a distinct possibility. Maybe as a sunderer mod?
Old 2012-07-07, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CaptnSlo
Private

Zekeen did you work out my numbers at all? No reason to have two and espically since it will be two over powered. Now when I ment is 1 percontinent per faction and not that only one facation can have it and only them.

30 per Platoon
90 per Company
270 per Battalion
810 per Brigade

only 2000 players per continet and you divide that by three lets say if it is even and that comes out to 666.6667 people per side per continent. Having only one Brigade Command Center is enough espically since you will be able to have 810 people under one brigade command center. Yes, no one Outfit has 810 on at a single time, but everyone is fighting for the same cause so we should to be able to coordinate.
Old 2012-07-07, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dagron
Captain

I'm all for limiting it so not everyone in the field gets their own command center, but only 1 per continent makes no sense at all from a gameplay point of view. For one thing, what if some jerk with lots of command certs decided to spawn the one command center for that continent and drive around the back of their territory doing nothing?

I don't know how the specifics should be exactly, but for it to work i think it shouldn't have unlimited range for stuff like OS and other abilities (AOE bonus, etc), and those shouldn't be so strong that more than 1 at the same location would make it OP. In fact it's abilities should work in a way that having more than one at the same hex would be pointless, or at least the increased benefits should be so minimal that it would be a waste of time and resources (i.e. OS having a hex cooldown instead of a personal cooldown, AOE bonus not stacking, etc).

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-07 at 02:43 PM. Reason: my head is a mess
Old 2012-07-07, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CaptnSlo
Private

Everyone is able to get their own command center just not a Brigade Command Center. I would have a very high resource cost on the brigade command center. The Brigade Command Center is basically like a forward command post that has a few perks, but you do not want to fly or drive it on the front lines. Since it will have no protection, weak armor, and cost a shit ton of resources. You would have to bring it up to the front when needed and then hide it when you are sending commanders from somewhere behind the front lines.

I brought this up for tactical reasons and this is just like a mobile Tactical operations center that we have in the military.

All you guys are talking about restricting to only one per faction per continent will not work and I have not heard any suggestions of what would. All I have heard that it will not work.

All of my brigade mobille commands do something different and if you had them all in the same spot then it would be OP. Thats why I am restricting it to only 1 per faction per continent.

The ranges are just for the special ability that you have which is radar jamming, radar, or ground movement notifcation. For OS you can still perform them just like the restrictions in PS1. The ranges are only for sepical abilities. Everything else no range restrictions.

Last edited by CaptnSlo; 2012-07-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dagron
Captain

I see, you're talking about a more specific (more advanced) command center than the general idea suggested in the OP.
I'm not sure what abilities that kind of CC would have and i really don't have any suggestions to solve the problems i see with it, but something so limited would be a target for trolls.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-07 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CaptnSlo
Private

Trolls or not it will still be a main target for the enemy if you have one up espically if I know you spent a ton of resources on it. Basically the people in the brigade center will be able to see a larger picture of the battlefield and better org his/her troops. Basically you are playing chess with the enemy. It is basically what happens at TOC's in todays military. Mainly on some computer/tv screen with friendly and enemy icons.

Right now in PS1 you only see your platoon right? With this set up the overall commander will be see his whole army of 810 and what they are all doing.
Old 2012-07-07, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dagron
Captain

What i mean by "target for trolls" is people creating it and just hiding without using it, or other more creative and annoying troll ideas.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TerranRoughneck
Private

Some great ideas! I'm happy to see I wasn't the only one thinking about this.

I think I get what CaptnSolo is saying and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

If there are varying levels/types of CCs with a top-tier, continent wide CC being available only to the highest ranking commanders, and limited to one per cont, isn't a bad idea at all. You would still have lower level CCs directing individual assaults/defenses while the Brigadier CC could be well behind the front(in friendly territory) managing the whole front, giving orders to the other CCs. This would be pretty similar to how real world armies work, with multiple levels of command. It would be especially handy on continents where all 3 factions are fighting and everyone is fighting a 2 front war.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CaptnSlo
Private

well how could we solve that issue is it because of OS can be launched from it? that they would hide it for that reason? If that is it then it is a very easy solution. Just saying it is target for trolls is not helping.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
TerranRoughneck
Private

I think by limiting it to only higher level commanders(who I assume are typically going to be more dedicated and mature players) we'll be able to avoid trolling in such a manner. Also by slapping a massive spawn costs on it. Sure, someone could do that, but they would be quickly singled out by the community as an enemy infiltrator and TKd =P
Old 2012-07-07, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CaptnSlo
Private

I think that is an easy solution TerranRoughneck! Maybe the Brigade command centers can only authorized for certain people to pilot/drive by your Outfit/Faction commanders or something like that, so you have to pass checks and what not.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Back in my upgrade project for PS1 I had Command AMS's and the option for vehicles to swap out a weapon system for a command module.

The Command Vehicle is any vehicle that has sacrificed one of its medium weapon slots to equip a Command Uplink. From within the vehicle the Commander can assign missions to squads, use his CUD, request reinforcements and send general orders to the troops. If the commander is using a Command AMS he can also control Camera Drones from the to get an overview of the battlefield.
The Command AMS would allow the commander to access RTS style controls to direct his platoon when piloting a command drone from the vehicle, and view his troops HUDs via helmet mounted cameras. They would also be able to access their CUD tools whilst inside the vehicle. All spotted enemies would be highlighted on the commanders screen.

The vehicle Command Uplink can only be used by a leader with a command rank of 3 or above, while the Command AMS is availble for an additional certification point.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
CaptnSlo
Private

I do like the drone add on to the command vechicle idea. I would probably add this on to my ground Brigade Command Center. The Drone either ground or air would have a timmer and run on fuel or batteries (for the vanu) and it would have to come back and recharge/refuel. If it was either shot down or crashed due to out of power then you would be able to purchase another one with resources. If you kept on crashing them or the ememy shot them down it would start to rack up after a while.

The drone seat would be another option/cert for the command vechicle. This would also have a cool down/refuel/recharge timer.

Last edited by CaptnSlo; 2012-07-07 at 03:40 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault