Planetside Optimisation Issues a.k.a FPS issues - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will push your button.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-29, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
easypickings
Corporal

i dont get any lag,

i always find a new patch makes the game work better...

i use 1024 mem and 9800 xt p4 2.6
Old 2004-03-29, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Planetside already does quite well under the circumstances, but smoother gameplay can only be welcomed in my book.
Old 2004-03-29, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

lately with te new patchs my FPS have gone up a decent amount, i now hit 103 max in sanc staring at a wall(i even moved to med textures, my FPS seemed to go down no if not improve a bit, i've heard of some games wer more detail can acctualy boost FPS of Nvidia cards).

normal battle conditions range from 17-30

though i do sometimes get a wierd stutter thing, but that seems to be connected to my downstream ping skyrocketing.

The bigest thing in this game is the CPU, if you have a good CPU you can get very nice FPS talk to Electrofreak

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-30, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I... must... get... money...

Old 2004-03-31, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Kikinchikin

I have 512 RAM, and up until around the balance pass maybe even later than that, I got 35-50 FPS in most battles, 80 or so in non battle situations and around 20-30 in zergs. I could easily play with this. Then it started getting worse, up until the point when I tried to fight in a zerg the last day of my subscription, I was pulling .1 FPS (basically freezing). I do not care to shell out another 100 bucks for extra ram just so i can play this game that I was already paying 12 bucks a month for. They need to optimize their servers or something. I agree that a gazillion people would come back if they just fixed the damn FPS issues. It does seem that each patch they release makes it worse.

It makes me sad now that I think about how much better I could have been if i had had optimal RAM. I can only imagine if I was able to become as good as I was at piloting/grunting how much better a smooth system would have made me. /shrug

Last edited by Kikinchikin; 2004-03-31 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2004-03-31, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Cryptica
First Sergeant

I played on a 64mb card with 512 ram and got about 30-50 FPS on average. Sometimes it would drop into the teens but not too often. Although as for the whole deal about not mattering above 60 I think there might be something wrong there. I've played when I got over 100 and I've played at 60 and I think there is a big difference.
Old 2004-03-31, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I never have this problem. I get a very very low ping and my FPS hovers around 60-70 in a massive combat situation (zergs don't fight), and it hovers normally around 100.
Old 2004-03-31, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Yeah, I have a Radeon 9800 PRO, and an AMD 64 3200+. I typically get like 250 FPS in the sanctuary. The only problem is that I currently have only 256 meg PC2100 in my computer, so I get a LOT of stuttering. Its almost amusing.

A typical game play session for Electrofreak:

Log on. Go get something to eat during continent load screen.

Once logged in, spin the character around a few times to load all textures. The screen will stutter for a good 5 seconds or so at a time, until suddenly "bing!" I'm getting crazy FPS and awesomely smooth gameplay.

...Until I try to go through a doorway (where it usually hangs for several seconds)
Or if anything happens that requires displaying new textures. (ie if someone SHOOTS at me, or if a vehicle approaches too quickly, or if I afterburn over a hill in my Reaver)

Again, its really wierd. I'll average like 60+ FPS in large battles, but I spend 50% of my time staring at an unmoving screen, waiting for my RAM to catch up.

Thank god tho, this weekend I get my paycheck, which I will pour into a good gig or so of RAM for my computer to play with

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-03-31, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Lilbird2431
I have 512 RAM, and up until around the balance pass maybe even later than that, I got 35-50 FPS in most battles, 80 or so in non battle situations and around 20-30 in zergs. I could easily play with this. Then it started getting worse, up until the point when I tried to fight in a zerg the last day of my subscription, I was pulling .1 FPS (basically freezing). I do not care to shell out another 100 bucks for extra ram just so i can play this game that I was already paying 12 bucks a month for. They need to optimize their servers or something. I agree that a gazillion people would come back if they just fixed the damn FPS issues. It does seem that each patch they release makes it worse.

It makes me sad now that I think about how much better I could have been if i had had optimal RAM. I can only imagine if I was able to become as good as I was at piloting/grunting how much better a smooth system would have made me. /shrug
Sorry for you but my FPs has gotten mcuch better with the last few patches

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion