vatzec
Private

Game working very slow on GeForce GT 630M

Dear all,

I have a Dell Vostro 3460. The specs are as follows:
  • Intel Core i7-3632QM @ 2.20GHz
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • GeForce GT 630M

Even though the RAM and the CPU are pretty awesome, I believe the game works really slowly (I get about 40-50 FPS in bases, and about 17-25 FPS on the battlefield) because of either the GPU or my configuration (a friend's suggested PhysX, but I don't know what in particular I should change). The game works very slowly on even the very lowest of details. The only things that I would really like to have set to more than the minimum are the resolution (it's fine if it's not the max, which in my case is 1366x768, anything that preserves the ratio is OK) and the render quality. Do you have any ideas how I could make the game work better?

Thanks!
Old 2014-02-22, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Game working very slow on GeForce GT 630M

I have heard before people have issues with this GPU on laptops unfortunately, you may not be able to do much. You can check out this guide for settings help http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=52189

How long have you had this laptop? If you never cleaned the vents I would start there. In the event that the vents are dirty both the CPU and the GPU could be downclocking, which in turn will lower your performance. Canned air can do wonders to fix those issues.

Maybe time for a new laptop if the above doesn't work .

Last edited by Goku; 2014-02-22 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2014-07-03, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
planetoutcast
Private

Can you post the in game graphic settings you are using to play? Have you done basic maintenance of your OS cleanup/defrag/uninstall/disable unneeded programs, etc?.Did you *Unpark your CPU cores*?
Old 2014-07-06, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Unparking your cores has very little effect on anything but the earliest multimode CPUs - think pre-core i5. Effectiveness of this has everything to do with power management and we have long since moved on from days where disabling it yields any benefit - the Ivy Bridge cores in your i7 spin up and down much quicker than any game timer and if you're playing while on wall power, the CPU knows to keep them spun up anyway.

I know I haven't updated our PS2 settings guide in a while, but the means finding your bottleneck are still very much relevant. If I were to guess, I would think it is your GT630M that is the bottleneck - its only a few tiers above the integrated Intel engine your CPU also has (for reference, the desktop-class cards that are recommended for this game as a minimum are 7 tiers higher and for true eye candy, about 14 tiers higher).

What does your FPS counter say is your bottleneck? If thermals are an issue, blowing out your radiators will definitely help.

Other things to try: go into your NVIDIA driver settings and manually set "Number of pre-rendered frames" to 1 for PlanetSide2.exe. It won't help your raw frame count but it will make 25 FPS feel a lot more responsive.

I am also going to guess you're a college student or in a similar situation where you probably play a lot on wireless connections. This game, as any other FPS, needs a good connection to work well, so you might try playing using a wired connection that allows you to bypass much of the wireless congestion when you have 10 other devices near you all using the same router. Again probably won't do much for raising you above 30 FPS but it will make everything feel more responsive.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2014-07-06 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2014-11-29, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RavenStrike
Private

Question Re: Game working very slow on GeForce GT 630M

Hey, I got the same problem with:
CPU: Intel i7-3632QM 2.2GHz
GPU:Geforce 730M 4GB dedicated VRAM
RAM: 8GB
Internet Connection: Wireless (Optic Fiber, Speedtest: Dwn:78.4Mb/s)

My game still runs sluggish, and I know it's a laptop but still I find it to be quite decent, it's a i7 and 4GB VRAM. In bases I get anywhere from 45-60FPS(if empty), small battles(40FPS max), medium (20-30FPS), large(10 or <10FPS).
I've been playing PS2 since beta(Hardly in beta due to bad optim.) and really love it but as soon as fames drop under 30FPS it slowly gets fustrating and annoying and it's too bad.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum