Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience V2. (Updated 1/21/13) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: That'll do pig. That'll do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-01-21, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Exclamation Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience V2. (Updated 2/23/13)

This is a re-post update to the original optimization guide. Thanks to everyone for your support and feedback!

A lot of folks have issues with PlanetSide 2 underperforming compared to other modern games (BF3, Skyrim, NFSU, etc).

I've been playing PS2 from early Beta and through that time frame, I've witnessed many updates that've both optimized and broken performance, as well as some tweaks posted around the interwebs. In that time, I've also upgraded my original gaming rig, and as a result have tested these tweaks on all three of the following machines:

Ultra setup: Intel Core i5-3570K @4.4GHz, 16GB of DDR3-2133, GTX 680 4GB, 256 GB Samsung 840 SSD. (Runs 30+ FPS in heaviest fights on ultra settings as described below).

Recommended minimum: Phenom II X4 955 BE @3.8GHz, 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, 2x Radeon HD 5770 1GB in Crossfire, 500 GB WD SATA 6 Gb/s HDD. (Runs 30+ FPS in heaviest fights on medium/high settings.)

Absolute minimum: Llano AMD A6-3650 with Radeon HD 6530D, 4 GB of DDR3-1333, 500 GB WD SATA 6 Gb/s HDD. (Runs 20+ FPS on all lowest settings as described below, you can only really be useful in a support role with this.)

The moral of all that is: this game can run on a very large swathe of hardware, but you obviously won't get the same experience everywhere. So if you're having issues with your set-up, be it a low-, mid-, or high-end keep reading and you might find something useful here.

How to use this guide
First, we will try to figure out which part of your system is causing you grief, and then attempt to remedy that in steps of increasing severity, where the first steps are simple, require only a few clicks, but may not yield much improvement, through driver-based settings overrides, and all the way to overclocking levels. I will also suggest low-hanging fruit upgrades that may change your experience significantly.
Use this guide at your own risk. Whenever possible, I shall attempt to warn you of potential issues in good faith and personal experience, but I cannot predict everything. Taking certain steps (e.g. overclocking) may cause you to void your hardware warranties, and such steps will be written in this orange color. I assume no liability for broken or faulty hardware as a result of steps taken. If you don't know what the settings mean, don't change them! At a minimum, if you don't know something, read up before you change anything. Links to overclocking guides are provided at the end of this guide, and links to other useful tools are provided throughout.

If you have an overclocked system or a multi-GPU setup, you may skip to step 4 (but browse through steps 1 and 2 for any low-hanging fruit).

Step 1: What seems to be the problem?
So first, we have to get an idea for what's causing you to have poor performance.
First things first, let's restate the official minimum requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
GPU: GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 4850 with 256+ MB of VRAM or better
RAM: Min 4 GB of accessible space

Those are relatively liberal requirements. However, I can personally vouch that you could actually get away with using a less powerful graphics card (e.g. a 6530D) and still have a playable experience. With this in mind, here are my empirical minimum requirements (this will give you min 30 FPS in all but the most intense fights on low settings):
CPU: A dual-core processor running at 3 GHz or faster* (Core2Duo or PhenomII X2)
GPU: NVidia 8600 or Radeon HD 3650, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or AMD 6530D (A6-Llano).
RAM: 4 GB of DDR3-1066**
Empirical recommended requirements (this will give you minimum 30 FPS in any situation with all settings on high, provided your resolution is 1080p or lower):
CPU: A quad-core running at 3.5 GHz or faster* (Core i5 2500K or FX4300)
GPU: NVidia 660Ti or Radeon HD 7870, Laptop cards: 680M or 7970M
RAM: 8 GB of DDR3-1600

This game is, admittedly, a very good subject for the "but will it run Crysis?" gag. So in that spirit, and because we also frequently get asked "what is the system that can run the game absolutely flawlessly?", I'm also going to include a best-available configuration that can run the game flawlessly at "Ultra" settings which require messing with useroptions.ini.
Empirical "ultra" setup:
CPU: Latest gen quad-core clocked at 4+ GHz (i5/i7 Ivy Bridge or FX Vishera, the higher clocks, the better).
GPU: GTX 670 or AMD 7950 for single-monitor, GTX 680 or AMD 7970 for multi-monitor below 1080p/screen, or GTX 690 or SLI for surround view, or a CrossFire setup with each card at least on an x8 cabale slot.
RAM: 8 GB of DDR3-2133
Other extras: wired Ethernet connection and dedicated sound card (especially if you're also using a full 5.1/7.1 speaker system).

If your hardware does not meet the above empirical minimum requirements, stop here and start saving money for a new system.

Next, we will begin some troubleshooting. This part draws heavily from a post by SOE developer CyclesMcHurtz during beta, that is now listed on the official SOE help page for PS2.
  1. Start up your PS2 client and go to the warpgate on a mildly-populated continent (you want ~30 people in your vicinity). Step outside the spawn building, walk 10-20 meters off to the side (look both ways, don't get run over!) until you can see the spawn building in your field of view in its entirety.
  2. Press Alt+F to show the in-game FPS counter (bottom-left corner of screen, below the minimap). It will tell you whether you're currently CPU or GPU-bound, note this.
  3. Go to your graphics settings and turn the "Render Quality" slider all the way to 0.5 (yes, the game looks horrible, but this is just a test).
  4. Take note of your new FPS figure and CPU- or GPU-bound status.
  5. Look around and see what happens to your FPS counter when you're looking out into the sky, when you're looking at the ground/mountains around, and when you're looking back at the clusterfuck that is the immediate area around the WG spawn building.
  6. Log out.

At this point, we can start applying tweaks based on what happened in the above test. This is organized in order of severity. Find your scenario, then attempt everything listed below it until the desired result is achieved.
  1. You went from GPU-bound to CPU-bound, and your FPS improved significantly (15+ FPS).
    This simply means your GPU is the culprit. Solutions (use some or all):
    • Turn down your resolution
    • Set Graphics quality, textures, model detail and lighting to low
    • Set shadows to low and uncheck 'Fog shadows'
    • Set Render quality to 0.85-0.9
    • Set PlanetSide2.exe to run with desktop composition disabled. (If you don't know how to do this, reply asking for additional instructions.)
  2. You were and still are GPU bound, but your FPS increased significantly.
    Your GPU is still the culprit; see above. Alternatively, you may overclock your GPU.
  3. You were and still are CPU-bound, and your FPS improved marginally (5-10 FPS).
    This is where we start getting into grey areas.
    Simple things to change (may not yield any results):
    • Turn down terrain quality.
    • Turn down the audio quality.
    More tricky things to change (credit: t.Rek from official forums):
    • In your useroptions.ini file (if you don't know what this is or where to find it, ask), in the [Rendering] section, set:
    • RenderDistance=1005.000000
    • ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    • MaxVoices=30 (Credit: HiroshiChugi)
    • RenderFlora=Off (Credit: HiroshiChugi)
    • If you have an NVidia card, set GPUPhysix=1
    • See the note below about system memory.
  4. You went from GPU-bound to CPU-bound, but your FPS did not improve much.
    This means your CPU is a big limiting factor. Try the tweaks above, and run the test again.
    • If you're running on a laptop or a desktop with a wireless connection, try running through a wired network - latency is a BIG thing in PS2.
    • Credit: Nalvasa PS2 shows a dependency of having access to plenty of fast memory, with measurable gains all the way to DDR3-2133. If you have the ability, set your memory speed to be higher - e.g. from DDR3 1333 to 1866, enable the higher speed (even if it causes your timings to slip from CAS9 to CAS10 or 11).
    • Alternatively, you may also go straight to overclocking your CPU.

Step 2: None of it helped
    I should at this point out that there's no practical reason to have VSync on in this game, so make sure that's disabled. Now let's dig deeper. See if your system displays any of the following additional symptoms:
  5. PlanetSide 2 freezes or crashes frequently (once an hour or more) during gameplay, including BSOD.
    There are any number of causes for this, including things that we can't do anything about. Steps to mitigate:
    • If you're running under Vista or XP, make sure to run as administrator and disable desktop composition.
    • If you're running the Steam version of the PS2 client, install the Sony Station version of the client.
    • If you are running in SurroundView/Eyefinity, disable and run on a single screen.
    • Make sure your video drivers are up to date (on both NVidia and AMD cards).
    • If you have an NVidia card, download the NVidia Experience applet, which includes automatic setting optimizations for PS2 (that you should use).
    • If you have enabled GPU PhysX, disable this feature.
    • In either case, if you are re-installing the drivers make sure to do a complete and clean driver install - that means wipe all current drivers first before installing the new ones.
    • Download CoreTemp and GPU-Z and monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure they're not overheating (>90C for Intel and AMD FX, Llano or Trinity and; >55 C for AMD Phenom or Athlon; >70 C for older GPUs, >80C for modern ones).
  6. Screen flickers, freezes, shows extra/missing textures, strange colors.
    This is indicative of overheating. See the last bullet above. This is particularly common on laptops or all-in-one platforms.
  7. After all graphics tweaks, you are still CPU bound.
    This happens frequently if you upgraded your rig's GPU to one of the latest generation, but left the CPU alone for various reasons. There's two approaches to help alleviate the bottleneck.
    • On NVidia GPUs, lower the number of pre-rendered frames by going to NVidia Control Panel>Manage 3D settings>Program Settings, select PS2, and scroll down to "Max pre-rendered frames", and set it to 1 or 2. This will only give you one or two extra FPS, but the game will feel much more responsive, and therefore more playable.
    • On ATI GPUs, download Radeon Pro driver addon, and enable Dynamic Framerate Control to the lowest framerate you feel comfortable with (I recommend setting it between 35-40). This will make the card attempt to budget its resources for delivering a new frame every 25-28 ms and should similarly improve responsiveness in combat; this is also particularly helpful on Crossfire setups (because standard Catalyst Drivers aren't very good at frame latency).

Step 3: Easy, cheap upgrades.
    This is easier on desktops simply because, well, they're desktops. These are listed in order of cheapest to most expensive.
  8. If running with 4 GB of RAM, upgrade to 8GB
    If possible, also upgrade to faster RAM, check to see what is the maximum speed your processor and MB can support. If you aren't sure how to do this, make a post asking for help.
  9. If running slow ram (DDR3-1333 and below) upgrade/overclock to faster RAM (DDR3-1866 or higher).
    Section credits: Impaler and Nalvasa
    PlanetSide 2 shows a significant dependency on memory bandwidth. PlanetSide 2 in particular can be constrained by your memory bandwidth in really heavy fights, as certain aspects of Forgelight flat out require CPU processing and cannot be paralleled out or delegated to a CUDA/GCN core. Upgrading to faster RAM can gain you 10+ FPS in the heaviest of combat if you move from 1066 to 2133. With RAM prices sustaining their historic lows, this upgrade can really make the game come together, but make sure that your motherboard can support the new RAM (check your manual!).
  10. If running with less than 1 GB of GPU VRAM, swap the card.
    Current recommendation is to go with at least a Radeon HD 7750 or NVidia GTX 650.
  11. *Upgrade CPU to higher clock/core count.
    Do this only if you own a socket AM3+ (Phenom II X2 to an FX-6300) or LGA 1155 (a Pentium to an i5-3470) otherboard. Upgrading a CPU outside of these sockets is simply not worth the expense. The question of "Which are more important: cores or gigahertz?" is common. When considering core count versus clock speed, the primary concern is the processor's instruction/cycle throughput for all cores combined. The current situation in the CPU marketplace makes this a difficult decision, since AMD is slower on the throughput but makes up for it somewhat by having more cores, and the fact that both chip makers still sell multiple generations. What we do know is that the game taxes only 4 threads (it does span out to others if they are available, but they add little to performance). This means having slightly slower quad core is better than a faster dual core, but an over-clocked quad core is better than a stock hexa- or octo- core (including hyperthreaded versions). This holds only for chips based on the same architecture. To compare between architectures, refer to the CPU hierarchy chart at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by Ailos; 2013-06-27 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience V2.

1. Step 4: Unique situations.
  2. You've got a multi-GPU configuration.
    If you're not too sure about messing with driver settings, download the NVidia Experience applet, and let it optimize the game for you. On AMD cards, in Catalyst Control Center, go to Performance>Application Profiles and create a profile for PS2 using the AMD Optimized setting set.
    • Make sure the game is selected to run as "Full screen" under the graphics settings - multi-GPU is not enabled otherwise.
    • If you have only recently added a second (or third or fourth) GPU, make sure to cleanly re-install the drivers.
    • Using your video card's driver control panel, create an application-specific profile for PlanetSide2.exe that forces Triple Buffering and all filtering presets are on 'Performance' setting.
    • If running NVidia, download NVidia Experience and let it optimize the settings for you.
    • If running ATI with a non-7000 series GPU, roll back drivers to Catalyst 12.8; with a 7000 series GPU, install the latest Catalyst Beta drivers.
    • On Crossfire setups, go to CCC>3D Application Profiles>"New Application" and create a custom profile with the following settings for PlanetSide2.exe: V-Sync:Off, Triple Buffer: Force On, Crossfire Mode: AFR-Friendly, and all other settings sliders over to "Performance".
    • On ATI/AMD setups, download and install Radeon Pro. Then go to Tweaks, and select: check Triple Buffering, check Dynamic Framerate Control and set it to 45 or 50 FPS, and either select SMAA or disable anti-aliasing altogether.
  3. You're running PS2 through a wireless connection.
    PS2 relies heavily on server-client communication, and any unnecessary latency between you and the server will create issues.
    • If you're playing on a server outside your locale (e.g. you're playing on Australia but you're in Germany), try playing on a local server.
    • Try using a wired ethernet cable.
  4. You've got an asymmetric RAM setup (i.e. your RAM is running in single-channel mode).
    You might ask, what is an asymmetric RAM setup? Your setup is asymmetric if there are different sticks installed in each slot/channel. This is commonly done with careless upgrading in the interest of pursuing the highest amount of system RAM, for example: an old machine had 4 GB of RAM, and the owner bought a pair of 4 GB sticks to bring that number up to 12 GB of system memory. While this upgrade sounds good on paper, in most cases, this actually does more harm than good. Most modern CPUs have built-in memory controllers so that they can have more direct communication with the system memory, and most of these controllers are dual-channel (i7-930 are triple channel and SandyBridge-E are quad-channel). Most motherboards thus require that identical modules be installed in all populate slots to actually run in these faster modes, and when different memory modules are detected, the controllers will usually turn to single-channel mode, halving your memory bandwidth. This happens even if the capacities are the same, but one pair is capable of faster speeds than the other, or if they have differing voltage requirements. So, long story short: mixing sticks to get more capacity =/= better performance. Unless there is an uncommon, specific need for you to have a higher capacity, either remove the smaller or slower pair, and your performance - at least in PS2 - should improve.
  5. **You're running using integrated graphics.
    Though this game can technically run, you can't expect to be able to play on maximum eye candy settings. Also, with integrated graphics, your system RAM becomes even more important than usual: it now feeds not just the CPU but also the GPU with data for crunching. To run this game smoothly you need to have ample amounts of fast memory so that neither processor ever runs out. While the system with a dedicated graphics card is recommended to have DDR3-1600, a system running on integrated graphics stands to benefit even more from a system clocked at DDR3-2133. On AMD's Trinity APUs, the difference in memory speed can give another 10 frames above and beyond any other optimizations, and put you firmly in the fluidly performing category. Intel GPUs are far more asthmatic, and only Intel HD 4000 (from Ivy Bridge) has enough muscle to get you to the log-in screen, and even though it too benefits from faster RAM, you'll only really be useful in a support role such as an engineer or medic.
  6. You overclocked your system prior to playing PS2.
    PlanetSide 2 is a very temperamental client, and tends to be less tolerant to various overclocking faults than other games, or even Windows itself. If you pushed your system to the limit at the expense of some instability, I recommend dialing down until you achieve as close to perfect stability as Windows allows. PlanetSide 2 also has a pretty weird response to overclocking, and performance improves in steps: going from 3.4 to 4.0 GHz yields little, but bumping it slightly higher to 4.2 can give an extra 10 FPS in the heaviest of fights. More interestingly, based on numerous reports on the official forums and my own experience with 2 difference CPUs, that behavior is independent of which exact CPU model you're running.

If you're experiencing issues after a recent game patch, it's entirely possible something got messed up on SOE's server-end (it's happened a couple times since launch already). The best thing to do in this situation is to submit a tech-support ticket with your dxdiag and msinfo32 files, and describing the drop in performance after the patch. You probably won't get any useful feedback from this (the smartest response I got was "Make sure you're using your GTX 680 and not the Intel HD 4000 engine"), but the more SOE knows about a performance issue, the more likely they are to fix it quickly and in a way that doesn't break something else.

Well, that's it for now. I hope this guide help you get some extra frames in those tough fights and in the end, made you a better soldier on the battlefield! Please make comments and suggestions for any improvements to this guide, and post about your experience!

Useful links:
Graphics card performance hierarchy
Gaming CPU performance hierarchy
Higher-speed RAM can help improve AMD FX-series performance
Memory speed scaling performance on AMD Trinity APUs
Memory speed and latency impacts on gaming performance
CPU Overclocking guides - recommended reading if you're thinking of overclocking but are inexperienced/unsure. Read through at least the guide dealing with your CPU, but reading through multiple doesn't hurt (e.g. if you've got an Intel CPU, recommend that you read all Intel guides):
Intel: i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge), i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge), i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E)
AMD: A8-3870K (Llano), Phenom II x4 guide 1, Phenom II x4 guide 2, FX-8150 (Bulldozer, useful for entire family)

Useful useroptions.ini settings
Ultra settings
(for machines that satisfy or exceed the "empirical" ultra requirements listed above)
Code:
[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=4
TextureQuality=0
ShadowQuality=3
RenderDistance=999999.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=120
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=4
EffectsQuality=4
TerrainQuality=4
FloraQuality=3
ModelQuality=4
VerticalFOV=55
ParticleLOD=4
ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
FogShadowsEnable=1
MotionBlur=1
VSync=1
AO=1
GpuPhysics=1
Note: if you have an AMD Radeon series card (such as a 6990 or 7970), remember to remove the last line to disable GPU Physics, or you're going to have a bad time.

High performance
(for machines slightly below recommended requirements and those wishing to maximize FPS without making the game look horrible)
Code:
[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=2
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=2
RenderDistance=10000.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=120
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=2
LightingQuality=2
EffectsQuality=3
TerrainQuality=2
FloraQuality=1
ModelQuality=2
VerticalFOV=55
ParticleLOD=4
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=0
AO=0
Low-end hardware/Laptops
(for machines barely meeting the empirical recommended requirements and laptops with graphics cards below NVidia 550M or Radeon HD 57xxM)
Code:
[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=1
TextureQuality=2
ShadowQuality=1
RenderDistance=1000.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=45
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=1
LightingQuality=1
EffectsQuality=1
TerrainQuality=1
FloraQuality=0
ModelQuality=1
VerticalFOV=55
ParticleLOD=2
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=0
AO=0

[Terrain]
RenderFlora=Off

Revision history:
1/2/13 - Included discussion of PS2's affinity for faster RAM, and the fast dual- vs slower quad-core discussion.
1/17/13 - Included results of actual tests of RAM speed impacting game framerate.
1/21/13 - Included the 'empirical "ultimate" system' section and expanded the "useful links section".
2/4/13 - Added a couple articles about gaming and memory speed and updated the main body to reflect their findings.
2/23/13 - Corrected the location of useroptions.ini in Steam client, added useful useroptions.ini settings.
3/23/13 - Minor updates regarding driver issues and useroptions.ini changes.
5/12/13 - Updated GPU-bound conditions with Pre-rendered frame lowering for NVidia and detailed Radeon Pro settings for AMD.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2013-05-13 at 12:58 AM.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience V2.

Reserved for future updates, expansions and additions.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-02-22, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
reddragons
Private

Re: Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience V2. (Updated 1/21/13)

Just a quick correction so people don't download Sony's version for no reason

If you're running the Steam version of the PS2 client, install the Sony Station version of the client (this is also required for you to be actually able to access your useroptions.ini file).
This statement is incorrect. The path to your ".ini" file when running it through Steam is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2 (Windows 7 64 Bit). Aside from this minor error, a very in depth and worth reading post.
Old 2013-02-23, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by reddragons View Post
Just a quick correction so people don't download Sony's version for no reason

This statement is incorrect. The path to your ".ini" file when running it through Steam is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2 (Windows 7 64 Bit). Aside from this minor error, a very in depth and worth reading post.
Ah. Thanks for the correction. I tried looking for it earlier, but couldn't find it.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-03-21, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Assist
Contributor
Major

This was extremely helpful to me, thank you.
I've somewhat fixed my performance, long enough to get me until the new Intel chips come out I think!

edit: How do I lower my sound quality ?

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-21 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2013-03-23, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
This was extremely helpful to me, thank you.
I've somewhat fixed my performance, long enough to get me until the new Intel chips come out I think!

edit: How do I lower my sound quality ?
Glad it was helpful.

Your sound quality can be controlled through the "Max Voices" setting in either your useroptions.ini or the in-game control panel.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-04-13, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

Any chance you can make different setting for say:

High End Graphics and a FX-8120. So basically Turn Ultra setting on Graphics Card items but Turn off or low the settings that is CPU intensive items.

I see you have Ultra, High, and Low, but I guess I'm in the middle where my graphics card is good but my CPU isn't and would like the benifit to use my graphics card to it max while minimizing the CPU use.

Graphics Card: GTX 670
CPU: FX-8120
Ram: 16GB 1333mhz 4 Sticks.

EDIT:
I found this a while back, dunno if this will help or not, but thought I would share to see what you think.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=3029182

Last edited by BIGGByran; 2013-04-13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2013-04-14, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by BIGGByran View Post
Any chance you can make different setting for say:

High End Graphics and a FX-8120. So basically Turn Ultra setting on Graphics Card items but Turn off or low the settings that is CPU intensive items.

I see you have Ultra, High, and Low, but I guess I'm in the middle where my graphics card is good but my CPU isn't and would like the benifit to use my graphics card to it max while minimizing the CPU use.

Graphics Card: GTX 670
CPU: FX-8120
Ram: 16GB 1333mhz 4 Sticks.

EDIT:
I found this a while back, dunno if this will help or not, but thought I would share to see what you think.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=3029182
I advise you to use the "High Performance" set, save for the following changes:

Code:
LightingQuality=3
ModelQuality=3
GpuPhysics=1
And down in Sound, turn your MaxVoices down to 75-80.

You could also download GeForce Experience and let it optimize the settings for you (it will probably put them mostly in the same setup).

As far as the other article - most of the stuff in it is duplicated one way or another in here. Everything I've written about, I've personally tried on one of my machines and had found to be of benefit, so I make it a habit of not posting stuff until I know it worked for me at least. The "Pre-rendered frames" setting seems an interesting one, and I'll play around with that next time I have the chance. I suspect it'll be helpful in single-GPU setups, but I would also think my Crossfired 5770's are going to be really twitchy if I don't let them pre-render stuff in advance. We'll see in a few weeks (I have a big update for this guide coming up anyway).

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-04-14, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

Awesome! I can't wait to see the new update you have.

GpuPhysics=1? really? I heard it was best to have 2x cards for that. will that beable to run the game with the graphic settings on high with no issues?
I turned that on a while back, and my FPS was crap, but that was with everything on high. I never thought about turning it back on, but will give it a shot. Think it will work?
Old 2013-04-17, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Yeah, Physics works with one GPU. I've been using it since release, and I've only got the one 680. About 3 weeks ago, they actually put out an update making it a lot more stable, too.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-04-17, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Binkley
Sergeant

I run 'ultra' settings on my GTX-670, which works well, but it's very unstable if I turn on Physx (crashes every hour or so). I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia. Sad, as the Physx looks awesome. I have most of the settings on 5, is it likely that changing these can improve my stability with Physx on? Any hints will be appreciated.
Old 2013-04-19, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Binkley View Post
I run 'ultra' settings on my GTX-670, which works well, but it's very unstable if I turn on Physx (crashes every hour or so). I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia. Sad, as the Physx looks awesome. I have most of the settings on 5, is it likely that changing these can improve my stability with Physx on? Any hints will be appreciated.
It's the PhysX. If I turn mine off, the game runs flawlessly all day long. But it looks just so damn pretty with PhysX on, so I grumble and curse every 20-90 minutes (whenever PhysX causes a crash). Believe it or not, it's massively improved over the last 2 months though. Used to crash every 10 minutes on the dot.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-04-30, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

How's it coming with that big update you have in the works?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-02, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
How's it coming with that big update you have in the works?
Slowly. I've been slammed at work, but the damn developers keep putting out new patches, and I haven't had time to verify how my tweaks work with the new updates. But it looks like this weekend I'll have some time to finally get it all tested.

IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum