Can't access any SoE website or game service! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No one will mind if you post naked...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-02-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ataxio
Private

Can't access any SoE website or game service!

So about 4 days ago... I decided to start playing Planetside 2. Worked flawlessly for 2 days, then suddenly yesterday and today I cannot access any website having to do with SoE, and my station launcher does not work. The websites simply time out, and the launcher takes about 5 minutes to pop up, then it just goes black. I should also point out that it is ONLY Sony websites and services that I cannot access right now. any other MMO or website works flawlessly.

Things I have tried:
Calling my ISP (at least 5 times)
Flushing my DNS
Using googles public DNS
Trying 3 different PCs, one with a fresh install of windows.
Turning off my routers firewall
Attempting tracerts (seems to make it all the way to cali / level3 > switch then stops)
Threatening my router with fire and brimstone

... Any ideas? Because i'm out of them... Can't call sony online gameing support till monday.... and the best part? Check Makro Specials and Pick n Pay Specials. I decided to subscribe as a premium member.... So I got one day of gaming, and now nothing :|

Last edited by Ataxio; 2013-02-10 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2013-02-11, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ataxio
Private

Re: Can't access any SoE website or game service!

Going into day 4 now, Sony is pretty much just as confused & no word from Comcast. After doing some mega googleing, its looking like an issue with my Arris router...

I can only assume one of two things, my new dynamic IP was black listed for some reason on sony websites, or there is just some weird problem on the backbone of the internet somewhere and my packets are getting next dimensioned.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this before? I have to a lesser extent in the past, but the issue resolved it self within a few hours...
Old 2013-02-13, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ataxio View Post
Going into day 4 now, Sony is pretty much just as confused & no word from Comcast. After doing some mega googleing, its looking like an issue with my Arris router...

I can only assume one of two things, my new dynamic IP was black listed for some reason on sony websites, or there is just some weird problem on the backbone of the internet somewhere and my packets are getting next dimensioned.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this before? I have to a lesser extent in the past, but the issue resolved it self within a few hours...
I think the blacklisting of your IP by Sony is a more plausible scenario. They made a lot of changes to their server security after the big PSN hack two years ago, and it's possible your IP address was part of the botnet that helped the break-in. Blacklisting IPs sounds stupid, but hey, I wouldn't be surprized if they try it. This is doubly plausible if you happened to be using any kind of third-party software to modify PS2's client - for cosmetic purposes or otherwise.

A piece of internet backbone is unlikely to be causing your issue since internet packets don't all travel the same route each time, and in general a bad piece of internet hardware would cause you to have high packet loss (and lots of in-game lag) but not the kind of connection blackouts you're describing.

Have you tried simply calling SOE customer service? Or is there some particular reason that you're not willing to do that?

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-02-13, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SolsticeXI
Private

I am currently facing the same problem atm Ataxio.

I was actually replying to my support ticket today about a problem of mine and after doing that i decided to go back into the game but ended up with a black out launcher and after that i can't log in to the main webpage.

This all happen just today and i am in the midst of panic since i have no idea what is going on and i have just VERY recently purchase station cash and my membership. Also i can't log into my account at the website since i can't access the website. DAFUQ you can't even access the SOE support site goddamnitt....

I dunno about the blacklist thing but it might not be for that reason since i have some friends of mine to access the webpage and their having problems on their end too. They are using the same ISP as me but if SOE decided to block the entire ISP that would be crazy wouldn't it? Thats like killing the entire population who are using that ISP....and if its true i have no idea why we would deserve it since i have not breach any rules and i do not hack or mod the game.

also not that it matters but my ign is Solstice3XI and im in SolTech US EAST.

Last edited by SolsticeXI; 2013-02-13 at 02:08 AM.
Old 2013-02-13, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SolsticeXI
Private

I really hope this problem doesn't persist because that would mean i won't be able to cancel my membership subscription if i need to.

Seriously i am so frustrated right now. I paid for something that i can't even play now.
Old 2013-02-13, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BinkyNC
Private

Things I have tried:
Did you try to create a new account?
What are exactly you error messages?
Old 2013-02-13, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SolsticeXI
Private

The thing is if we can't access the site, it means we can't make a new account much less even log in to our current ones. The launcher takes a couple minutes to load then it goes black instantly so getting into the game is a no too.

It was working just fine yesterday for me but now i can't get back on and not even access on the main webpage or SOE support site.

Now the only thing i can think of is calling up their customer service site through phone but they are only available from 7am-7pm PT. seriously FML....
Old 2013-02-13, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Are you guys behind The Great Firewall of China? Or are any of your traceroutes going through the Great Firewall? For accessing SOE's website and getting their customer service phone numbers and e-mails, you can at least try using a proxy, then e-mail/call the support lines directly (don't log into your account through the proxy).

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2013-02-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SolsticeXI
Private

I usually stay away from vpn or proxies since i don't want to get banned. Well i have already called them up...still feeling that overseas call is gonna burn my phone bill but luckily they decided to the take matter and converse through email which is easier for me.

Have already send my tracerts and other infos to them....now waiting out on good news *sigh*
Old 2013-02-13, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SolsticeXI
Private

Got good news on my end.

Looks like it has been resolved and i can access the webpage and game now though i am still waiting on a reply to see what actually went wrong. They actually requested for my dxdiag, msinfo32 and tracert details so it probably has to something to do with it, idk really.

Will post back here again if i get the info.
Old 2013-02-13, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ataxio
Private

My issue as well has been resolved today. No word yet on what the real issue was. Still waiting on a call back from Comcast, it was eventually escalated to tier 3 support on their end. It was likely a bad router somewhere on the backend of the net, possibly with a datacenter. It was most def not my IP or account being banned.

As for sony, i'm sure they did some serious work on their end. And I'd like to mention how helpful Sony has been through this process, they went far beyond my expectations in helping me.

If anybody is still experiencing this, or has this problem in the future. The only advice I can give you is rattle as many chains as you can. I had to call Comcast about 8 times till I was able to work my way through the gauntlet of T1 support and get it escalated.
Old 2013-02-13, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ataxio
Private

Also. I was able to access SoEs support page with this issue effecting me by useing tor ( https://www.torproject.org/ ). A proxy program which bypasses most of the regular routes on the net. Using these correctly, will NOT compromise your account. SoE was fully aware this, and Hamachi are installed on my PC. They are not illicit by default, its up to the user in that regard how he or she uses the service.

The reason I was not in touch with SoE for the first few days was b/c this issue started on a saturday, and they are closed till monday > friday.
Old 2013-04-11, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
KennyOOSeven
Private

Did either of you ever hear about what caused this to happen to you? Have a friend of mine that ran into this today. Played yesterday (and all week) with no issue; today, all SOE content (sites and PS2 launcher) are not working, just as described above.
Old 2013-04-12, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

I'd wager it's on the ISPs end most of the time. Any time I have an issue that's where it lies, which is a shame, because ISP CSRs are some of the most unhelpful bastards I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with, next to the people who sold me my motherboard and flat out told me to google my problem. That last one was the manufacturers CSR by the way.
Old 2013-04-12, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

For some reason the normal routing wasn't getting through and wasn't getting routed around. All sorts of stuff could have happened to cause that.

That's why Tor worked to access the site, it was getting routed way around whatever problem you might have had.

It's actually kind of interesting that Tor worked for a different reason, though. Tor exit points are quite often blacklisted because lots of attacks come out of them.
I'm surprised SOE doesn't do the same.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum